Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thank you Junkster for the Perfect Investment - High Yield Muni Bonds

edited June 2016 in Fund Discussions
The Junkster pointed out High Yield Muni Bonds awhile ago and they have been a fantastic investment for recent times - positive capital and dividend investment.

I've stopped re-investing the dividends to build up some cash.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HYD+Interactive#{"range":"2y","allowChartStacking":true}

Comments

• Been away on a hiking vacation. Good for you and and your 6.63% YTD beats most investors as well as your return last year. You have more staying power than me as I have moved on to junk coporates. I am not as heavy there as I am wont to be because I have been thinking too much lately. Never good when I think. The "experts" here just can't seem to grasp why the reach for yield in the U.S. Maybe because it's getting to be the only place where there is any yield? Reaching for yield "normally" ends badly as we are always told so we shall see how it turns out this time around in these not normal times for rates worldwide.
  • Junkster, do you mind sharing the specifics of what you bought in the junk corporate area?
  • I'd also like to thank Junkster for previous favorable comments about PRHYX (its global counterpart RPIHX is also excellent) and PREMX; both have been great this year, and also long-term.
  • Junkster I'm assuming I'm too late to the party to put new money to work in high yield... What are your current thoughts? Thanks!
  • In junk corps I hold WAHYX and CHBAX after selling IVHIX. I still think junk will see double digit returns in 2016 but I hold only 30% in junk corporates. That is very, very light for me. That is because they are more volatile than normal this year and also because they have been so dependent on oil. I would like to get heavier if the market cooperates. In bank loan I replaced SAMBX and EVFAX with RSFYX.
  • thanks. Can I ask what your current asset allocation is? Are you an active trader in these funds or more buy and hold?
  • MUB is trading at $114... way above par.
  • WaltJ said:

I'd also like to thank Junkster for previous favorable comments about PRHYX (its global counterpart RPIHX is also excellent) and PREMX; both have been great this year, and also long-term.

Got into PREMX in '10. Still a large holding for me, though I hold much less than I once did. Rates are nuts, around the world--- and currencies! Jay-zus. PREMX up 11.88 YTD. But the value is in the long-term. I originally bought at $13.26. We'll never see THAT again, but in the meantime, I can't even count the total monthly divs. that fund has paid me over 6 years.