Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Riverpark Wedgewood

Would like member's thoughts on this fund. I've held it for 4 or 5 years although I have reduced my holdings in it at least once. When I read the Manager's reports, he sounds like just the guy I want looking over my money. But then there's the performance issue. I've search this website for discussion of this fund but everything I find is quite old when the fund was performing. I like the potential downside protection but not at this cost. Who do you like better in this space. Schwab 401k account.

Comments

• hi brbrock

use a s&p 500 fund or parwx both are better
  • @brbrock: Funds is in the 91-99 percentile 1wk.-5yr., "he sounds like just the guy I want looking over my money." Right, he's looking over it, losing it right and left.
    Regards,
    Ted
    RWGFX Performance Since Inception:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=RWGFX&region=usa&culture=en_US
  • brbrock said:

Would like member's thoughts on this fund. I've held it for 4 or 5 years although I have reduced my holdings in it at least once. When I read the Manager's reports, he sounds like just the guy I want looking over my money. But then there's the performance issue. I've search this website for discussion of this fund but everything I find is quite old when the fund was performing. I like the potential downside protection but not at this cost. Who do you like better in this space. Schwab 401k account.

Let this be a learning experience about buying a fund because an institutional manager with a great track record opens a fund for retail investors. I have seen that story played out over and over and more often than not with subpar results.
  • @brbrock , fwiw, I use GTLOX as my large cap pure equity fund, but other opinions to use the S&P500 index are good suggestions. The fund you are in is a fairly concentrated fund and apparently the managers stock picking ability has not been good.
  • You would think this manager was a genius, the portfolio looks nice, but lift up a corner of the tarp covering it and find weak performance. Sold quite some time ago.
  • Another lesson in not chasing after a star manager...
  • I'm having flashbacks about RFVFX...
  • Certainly the last 3 years have been subpar. But Rolfe's selective approach to equities isn't always going to be aligned with the overall market. Their 10 yr return still holds up due to their outperformance in 2009.

You can peruse longer term returns (~25 years) for the overall strategy on the fact sheet posted on their institutional site.
    Wedgewood Fact Sheet
  • Dolphin said:

Certainly the last 3 years have been subpar. But Rolfe's selective approach to equities isn't always going to be aligned with the overall market. Their 10 yr return still holds up due to their outperformance in 2009.

You can peruse longer term returns (~25 years) for the overall strategy on the fact sheet posted on their institutional site.
    Wedgewood Fact Sheet

You obviously hold the fund and know more than me re. RWGFX and RWGIX. Morningstar shows inception in late 2010. Is the fact sheet performance information then based on the manager's track record before being offered to the public. And isn't that the point. That when an institutional manager with a great track opens a fund to the public........ It looks like it did well the first two years it was open to the public (the new fund effect) and then subpar vs its benchmark. It has made money for sure but isn't this just another example of passive beating active?
  • You are correct Junkster, the fund was allowed to use previous track record. I learned of the fund here from Mr. Snowball's fund profile. The first two years were good and the fund was discussed frequently. Not much discussion as of late. I did find it showing up in what are the best worst funds discovered on MFO. BTW. 25 years is not a strategy, it is a career. IMO. Thanks for everyone's comments.
  • In terms of the track record....yes, the prospectus traces to privately managed accounts like institutional, pensions, etc. The retail funds represent ~15% of AUM. I'm not seeing the correlation that folks are trying to make from that.

As for this critique..."BTW. 25 years is not a strategy, it is a career". I don't understand what point u are trying to make?