Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Light my fire

Once again; I replaced an old light bulb with an Eco (expensive!) bulb and
the damn thing quit working the next day.
Over the past couple of years, every one of these new bulbs have lasted
an average of maybe six months. The ones that died in the shortest time
were the ones I installed outside.

Maybe you’re supposed to leave them on continuously – I don’t.
Maybe because their curliness looks cute, you’re not suppose to
turn them on at all.
Or maybe it’s just another green-energy rip-off.

Comments

• @Flack: I don't think this one is available !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Sucks, Flack! I do not have the same problem with those damned newfangled bulbs. They sure DO cost a lot.
  • edited July 2017
    Have changed out upwards of thirty incandescent bulbs with LED replacements. No problems whatsoever. Not too fond of the older fluorescent bulbs, though (the standard 4' and 8' tubes are fine).

Add: Many of the LED bulbs are the dimmable type, using standard already-installed dimmers, with no problems. When you can reduce 700 watts of incandescent in the kitchen to 28 watts, it's a no-brainer.
  • @Flack, no, something is wrong, no need to leave on, etc.
  • @Flack- Have you had the supply voltage to your home measured? Years ago I noticed that light bulbs in my parent's house were burning out prematurely. I measured the PG&E supply voltage and found that it was almost 140 volts per leg vs 120 volts. Turned out that PG&E had a problem at the local substation, and we were certainly not the only ones with excessive voltage.

Technical Explanation: utilities typically use one of three available wiring "phases" to supply a home service. They then "split" that phase into two "hot legs", each leg being nominally 120 volts AC, with reference to the Neutral and/or "Ground" wire. This accounts for the three individual wires entering your home. (In actual practice the voltage is typically anywhere between 110 and 125 volts per leg.)

The voltage between the two legs is the sum of the individual leg voltages, or 240 volts (nominal). Most of the lighting and appliances in your home are supplied by the two available 120 volt legs. Larger appliances such as electric stoves, water heaters, central air conditioners and clothes dryers require the total 240 volts available between the two legs.

Note: Very old homes may still have a two-wire 120 volt service, not 3-wire 240 volts. A service of that age and type is marginal: it is incapable of handling typical modern electric loads, the copper wires themselves may be crystallized and brittle from age and overheating, and the older types of insulation may have unsafely deteriorated. Replacement should be seriously considered.
  • edited July 2017
    Like OJ says - no problems with LEDs here either - except I can't stand to read under one. Always revert to an incandescent for reading.

Bought my first (2) LEDs at Home Depot for a special need in about 2010 or 2011. Wildly expensive than at around $40 each. Today equal bulbs can be had for around $10-$12 - maybe less. From what I've seen they're near indestructable. I suppose you could break the glass - but simply fumbling/dropping one won't hurt it. So, the advantages are (1) much lower power consumption, (2) much longer life and (3) durability (which Flack's experience apparently contradicts).

BTW - The LED "Magic light" on Amazon is awesome for general room lighting or mood lighting. Syncs easily via bluetooth with your phone or tablet so you can control them that way. Built in timer which, once set, will turn them on/off per schedule. Dimmable and can be adjusted to something 1,000 different colors and shades. (However, the light output seems overstated in their advertising.) Have 2 inside the house. Will buy a couple more for deck lighting when the price falls. https://www.amazon.com/MagicLight-Bluetooth-Smart-Light-Bulb/dp/B00P6WAEHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499298774&sr=8-1&keywords=magic+light+bulb
  • edited July 2017
    Old_Joe said:

@Flack- Have you had the supply voltage to your home measured?

Note: Very old homes may still have a two-wire 120 volt service, not 3-wire 240 volts. A service of that age and type is marginal: it is incapable of handling typical modern electric loads, the copper wires themselves may be crystallized and brittle from age and overheating, and the older types of insulation may have unsafely deteriorated. Replacement should be seriously considered.

JOHN PRINE. "He built a closet on our back porch, and put a penny in a burned out fuse."
  • "and put a penny in a burned out fuse."

Actually, that's not all that uncommon. The older systems that use fuses instead of circuit breakers are very vulnerable to such practice and because of that many insurance companies refuse to write insurance on a home that still uses fuses. Our 1918 home has a mix of fuses and circuit breakers (added later), and I speak from personal experience.

That's somewhat ironic, because fuses (IF you use the correct value) are intrinsically a bit safer than circuit breakers. A fuse will blow accurately virtually 100% of the time; circuit breakers have been known to be a little less reliable, as they use cheaply made moving parts, which have been known to malfunction, though not very often.
  • Thanks guys.
    I'm going to check the voltage in the house - an older house.
    I do have two LED bulbs that have lasted quite a while. They are the DAYLIGHT variety.
    They produce a much brighter light (resembling daylight) and I use them during the winter months.
    Thanks again.
  • I have been using 8 Cree LED retrofits in our recessed lighting in kitchen and office since 2008. I could not be more satisfied. Now that the individual units can be had for about $22 at Lowe's, I've done the rest of the house. Also recently put LED spots in place of many of the PAR30 bulbs that kept blowing out in our 80's style track lighting. Great prices on Amazon for dimmable and nicely tinted lighting. If there's a problem, it's what to do with the crummy old bulbs.
  • "If there's a problem, it's what to do with the crummy old bulbs."

@BenWP- Send me your mailing address and I will ship two boxes of somewhat used old bulbs, FREE to you!!!

:)
  • the whole point is to get them off the grid for keeps, of course
  • edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2017
    Hi @Maurice
    From Flack's description, he stated the "curly" lamps. My assumption was that he was indeed relating to CFL lights, eh?
  • edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes, I missed that also. I wouldn't give you a nickel for most of those CFL "curly" bulbs.
  • @Old_Joe and @Maurice
    I recall reading comments somewhere when the CFL's first began to appear and questions related to the hazardous waste when a bulb was broken. Bad enough for the kids running around the house and now there is more than glass in the carpet. Have to obtain a "hazmat" person to correct the problem and provide a "good health cert. for one's home"........:):):)
    Yes, there are and will remain days, times and ideas when one questions the "common sense" of theoretically well meaning and well "educated" folks, eh?
    Still see these events too often.
    Homo Sapiens do have too many slow learning curves.
  • CFL was an intermediate solution before LED light became more affordable. We switched over LED lights several years ago and couldn't be happier with the longevity and "quality" of light. Our nearby IKEA have many choices at reasonable prices.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice- Those seat belts were designed by West Coast libs to strangle conservatives whenever possible. That's how Clinton got elected. Lucky that you survived!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Regulations are certainly necessary to keep a check on the Corporate GREED-Mongers. But I will add in the same breath that I DON'T like living in a Nanny State. "The door is ajar." NO, you silly-ass MACHINE, my DOOR is a @#$$%*** DOOR! Beep beep beep beep beep. Forgot to fasten seat-belt. Crap. Big Brother has designed the machines to trump your own decisions, plans and intentions--- such as, "I'm just backing out to let the wife out, so she can go to work in the other car." Go to pick up prescrips and have to give my birthday. Why? (Since I've been in there only 4,981 times? No, it's so that, when the employee gives me the wrong medicine, they CAN tell their boss---after I die--- that they DID indeed check to see if I was actually and really ME, via asking me what my birthday is. So effing stupid.)
    Ya, all of that sort of stuff definitely LIGHTS MY FIRE! (Where's my gun?!)
  • @Crash- tell me. And then they wonder why my blood pressure is always high!