Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any of your holdings up on this horrible day? 05 February, 2018

I note 1 which I own, and 1 which I constantly watch: PRSNX up .01 cent. And DODIX up by .04 cents. PRDSX small caps did the worst, down -3.55%.

Comments

• Two of my CHS preferreds were mildly up today....
  • edited February 2018
    CHS prfds. Tell me what CHS is, please?
  • edited February 2018
    PONDX = 0.24%, PTIAX = 0.18%, IOFIX = 0.08%
  • CHS is basically a farm/ranch co-op involved in grains, energy (ethanol) and foods. They're preferred are highly sought after. I own 2 myself.
  • I own CHSCN and CHSCL pfds., I managed to buy them on the IPOs. They had a good day but have been dropping lately as rates have been rising. CHSCP pfd could have been called at $25 par but since it was mainly owned by the farmers in their co-op, CHS did not call it, kept it going, and it trades at $29.20 today.
  • My DBLTX did fine today like many bond related funds.
  • Couple bond funds. To be expected.
  • PIMIX, IIBAX and PRSNX were all up today, and a few other bond funds were flat.
  • edited February 2018
    Old_Skeet had two that were up (bond funds) and four that were neutral. Overall I was down 1.7% today; but, I am still ahead for the year.
  • FCBFX = +.35%
  • I've sold a lot lately, especially in January. The steep up move with all of the negative news made me nervous. The indexes were way above their 200 day moving averages, so I figured a correction could be nasty. Glad I sold, now I have cash when I'm ready to get back in. [Still own my very long term holdings, but even cut them back a little]

Funny: one of the things that made me nervous were the commercials for a brokerage firm (Etrade?), that shows an obnoxious kid on a luxury boat with beautiful women pawing him. The tagline is "don't get mad, get Etrade."

It reminded me of the commercial at the top of the dot.com bubble, when day trading was all the rage. It showed a guy trading like crazy in his living room and then going crazy and jumping out of his living room window. That was an Etrade commercial.

They don't ring a bell at the top, but sometimes a top looks vaguely familiar to one you saw in the past.
  • beebee
    edited February 2018
    oops!
  • GLD and THIIX up a teeny bit. OSTIX and FFRHX pretty much no change. QMNIX down less than 1%. All in all, about what I would have expected. I am still comfortable with my overall allocation, which stands at 20% bonds, 28% alternatives, and 52% domestic & international stocks. YTD am pretty much flat, and that's ok.
  • PFIUX was up and since Jan 1 has done better than PONDX. A little hard to tell why although PFIUX was heavily involved in currency positions so that may be why as dollar fell, but dollar has been up recently.

VUSFX and some other low duration low volatility bond funds FPNIX

Is anybody else a little worried that IOFAX/IOFIX NAV doesn't change because of the inability to price most of the mortgages directly?
  • FPNIX was up one cent. My only winner, except for my cash accounts.

My earlier post was placed in wrong thread. Sorry.
  • @MFO Members Both of my bond funds PONCX and PBDCX were up yesterday.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2018
    @Ted

On january 29 you wrote:

“@catch22 & MFO Members: In the next few days, I will reestablish a position in PRHSX. If you don't already own a health care funds, now's the time to get in.”

Ted, obviously a lot has happened in the week since you wrote. Just curious if you have now taken advantage of the market swoon to buy - or, if not, please clarify what you intended by the comment.

Thanks,

Regards
  • @hank: I put in an order yesterday morning to buy PRHSX, but when I saw what was happening, I canceled the order. In this case I was saved by the once a day pricing of open-end mutual funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted,

Thanks. A very erratic day for sure.

Regards