Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

“because nobody knows what’s going to happen next.”

That comment came from JoeD in regard to the Art Cashin statement that
there was a 35% chance that we retest the recent lows.

Sure, nobody knows what’s going to happen next in the market.
But that doesn’t mean that we can’t have a little fun with it.

Let’s (just for giggles) take a shot at guessing the March S&P 500 closing price.
Not the actual price. That would certainly be a wild ass guess.
Let’s just guess if the closing price will be HIGHER or LOWER than Februarys close.

I know. Many of you will say something like, “I don’t care because
I’m a long-term investor.”
But this isn’t about what kind of investor you are (or claim to be).
This is just an opportunity to play the Art Cashin guessing game.
Who knows, you might be right. Heck, you’ve got a 50-50 chance.

If you’d really like to test your market skills, you could add
the percentage increase or decrease. But that’s for real Art Cashin lovers.

One request:
Please don’t bore us with your rational. There’s plenty of that
on the buy, sell, ponder thread.

Deadline for your guess is the Wednesday February 28th S&P 500 close.

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Hi Flack ... I'll play, although picking market direction short term can be a challenge.

Old_Skeet thinks the S&P 500 Index will be ... higher ... as of 2/22 close of 2704 with right to revise up until 2/28 contest close. Comment: If the FOMC stands pat this is a good call. If they raise ... well that creates some uncertainity. And, if infation remains low they just might not raise. After all, Powell was appointed by Trump. I also think that Powell does not wish to derail the economy nor the markets.

In addition, I think stocks as measured by the S&P 500 Index will be higher at year end. I'm thinking somewhere around the 2,950 range should forward earnings estimates materialize as projected and the FOMC raises no more than three times (quarter of point increases).

Currently, I favor stocks over bonds; and, with this, I have reduced my exposure to bonds.

Have a great day ... and, I wish all good investing.

• Hi Old Skeet
    " I'll play, although picking market direction short term can be a challenge."

Yeah, but who doesn't like a small challenge?
    Especially when there's nothing to lose.

I also guess that March S&P 500 will close HIGHER.

Back in the mid 2000s, I was on a chat board filled with stock traders.
    Each January we would guess the S&P 500 price for the end of the year.
    Closest to the actual number was the winner... no prizes, just congratulations.
    Disclosure: There were usually around 40 traders who participated and
    I was the winner five years running. I chalked it up to luck.

Have a great day and be kind to others.

• I’m still gazing at my crystal ball. I intend to provide some more detailed guidance for the full month of March by the end of the day, Feb. 28.

Regards
  • Hi Hank
    Just a word of warning – I’ve heard that there are some
    defective crystal balls out there that were manufactured in China.
    These balls emit radiation that may cause brain cancer.
    Please check your crystal ball for the country of origin and
    its expiration date.
  • Bumping from deep in the stack to the front.

What say you?
  • edited February 2018
    Hank’s Barometric Reading for March 2018:

Expect fair winds and a following sea until around March 12-14 (sorry I can’t be more precise). Beware the Ides of March. Shortly after the 15th, threatening clouds begin to gather on the horizon as increasingly fierce winds turn towards the bow. Seas soon become unnavigable. Seasoned veterans seek safe harbor in cash and higher rated bonds. Those remaining adrift quickly lower their main sheets - adding to the pummeling. A classic case of more sellers than buyers. Roughest weather will occur during the week beginning March 19, persisting for only 2-3 days. But that’s long enough to rattle the nerves of even the saltiest of helmsmen. Clouds lift and relative calm returns beginning around March 26. S&P ends March lower than at the end of February.
  • Thanks for the forecast @Hank. I just put in a sell everything order to execute 3/11. To clarify, are you saying I should get back in on the 26th? I'd like to be in when the clouds lift!:)
  • MJG
    edited February 2018
    Hi Guys,

I surely do not own a crystal ball, and if I did, I'm certain it would be broken. Forecasting anything is always hazardous duty.

So rather then guessing, I'll default to the statistics. There's a mountain of stats for the marketplace. Here is a Link to just one such reference:

https://cognitiveinvesting.com/2012/01/17/how-much-fluctuation-should-i-expect-of-the-stock-market/

Based on these data, my guess is a 62% likelihood of an "up" equity market. But it really doesn't matter to me since I'm a committed long term investot, and practice what I preach.

Best Wishes
  • @MFO Members The Linkster guarantee's a 100% chance the S&P 500 will close above 3,000 from it's present level of 2747. That would be a 9% + gain !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • edited February 2018
    @MikeM - No further comment ... :)
  • @Ted provides a most accurate statement:
    "The Linkster guarantee's a 100% chance"

>>>choose your favorite synonym from the below list and be happy, eh?

The word chance, as likely understood by most English speaking:

chance
    noun
    a possibility of something happening.
    "a chance of victory"
    synonyms: possibility, prospect, probability, likelihood, likeliness, expectation, anticipation
    the occurrence and development of events in the absence of any obvious design.
    "he met his brother by chance"
    synonyms: accident, coincidence, serendipity, fate, destiny, fortuity, providence, happenstance;
  • Ted,
    "The Linkster guarantee's a 100% chance the S&P 500 will close above 3,000 from it's present level of 2747. That would be a 9% + gain !"

Should I assume that you mean by the end of the year?
    Or are you going balls to the wall and suggesting by the end of March?
  • Hi MJG
    I understand that you are not interested in this little (should I say: meaningless) game… but thanks for posting.
    I’ll put you down for HIGHER IN THE LONG RUN (as a statistical default).

• Hi Hank (you salty dog)
    Thanks for the Barometric Reading. Your LOWER guess/reading is recorded.
    Keep your sails dry - or whatever floats your boat.
  • Hi Bud
    Thanks for your short/direct guess.
  • @Flack: End of the year !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • My guessing game answer: Market will end flat for the year (plus or minus a few %), but with large fluctuations this summer/fall that will frustrate INVESTORS greatly.

This scenario would, however, make for some fun TRADING opps.
  • I say lower. If I'm right, I've got that going for me. If I'm wrong then I've made money.
  • jlev said:

I say lower. If I'm right, I've got that going for me. If I'm wrong then I've made money.

A game theorist (maximizing the minimum result). My kind of guy/gal!

• There's an article in today's WSJ about such guessing games. They claim that "40% chance" is the hands-down favorite number for most of the "professional" financial community.

It's a great number because if it doesn't happen, nobody can claim that you said it would. If it does happen, you can claim that you definitely predicted the possibility.

In that spirit, I hereby predict that there's a 40% chance that the close will be higher; I further predict that there's a 40% chance that the close will be lower.
  • edited March 2018
    foul!

(I hope @Flack is checking up on guys like you.):)
  • apparently Old_Joe charges a 20% vig.
  • Thanks for guessing whether the S&P 500 will close higher
    or lower than the February close.
    Looks like Feb. closed at 2713.83.

HIGHER
    Old Skeet
    Bud
    Ted
    Flack
    MJG (“in the long term”)

LOWER
    Hank
    jlev

And then there’s Old Joe… ever the hedge bettor…
    who didn’t get OLD by taking risks.

Everyone relax… guessing incorrectly will not be on your permanent record.