Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

edited June 2014 in Off-Topic
Sold a little Gibson Energy (GBNXF.PK), added a little to Abbott Labs (ABT). Continued to get rid of more Pimco L/S. Added to Agrium (AGU) a few days ago. May add to Diageo (DEO) and may add a little to Brookfield Property Partners (BPY) now that dividends finally can be reinvested in that (note: BPY does result in a K-1 at tax time.) May add to Marketfield (MFLDX) on its weakness lately.

Really no new ideas at all and not interested in adding to most positions at this point.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Morning Scott.

No changes I think since last post, when I let a couple micro caps SENEA and JBSS go. Moved that money into BAC when dropped below $15.

Right now, stock holdings are BAC, AA, SCHN, GE, APA, HCP. Of these, I believe only SCHN is below 10 mo SMA.

Funds remain WBMIX, FAAFX, SIGIX, DODGX, and RSIIX.

Had eye on couple businesses in health, GTIV and CHE. But former now in M&A and latter just keeps going up =).

Still like energy, TSO, DNR, DVN. Own piece of CHK through FAAFX, but uncomfortable with CHK's management.

Coal and gold can't seem to get any respect these days...BTU, ACI, NEM.

Have thought about AEO and GM, but can't muster any interest in either sector.

Hey, what do you think of NDAQ?

And, why ABT?

Honestly, my value screen has never been shorter!
  • edited June 2014
    "Hey, what do you think of NDAQ?"

In a way, I think the exchanges are at least basically interesting from the standpoint of relative dominance and that business model I like, where there's a few dominant companies that own the "toll road" (credit cards, rail, exchanges.) The reason why I went with Intercontinental Exchange was the diversification of NYSE, as well as futures exchanges not only in the US, but multiple countries (such as their recent purchase of the Singapore Mercantile Exchange.)

Nasdaq hasn't done that well over the last five years (Facebook, the nearly day-long outage a little while back, loss of IPO's to NYSE)

In terms of IPO's:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/03/18/alibaba-is-the-latest-battle-in-war-of-nasdaq-v-nyse/

At this point after not doing well for a couple of years, Nasdaq doesn't seem as reasonable, but it's still trading at around book. Not something I would buy at this point, but probably not a terrible long-term idea if you think they can turn things around. I just like ICE's diversification more. Nasdaq would also have to improve management - some of the situations that have gone wrong for Nasdaq weren't handled well and there didn't seem to be any discussion of changes.

=========================

"Coal and gold can't seem to ever get any respect these days...BTU, ACI, NEM."

In terms of coal, what seems to be doing well is Westshore Terminals, the Canadian coal shipping terminal company. We may be trying to not use coal in this country, but it's being shipped elsewhere. (chart: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=WTSHF+Interactive#symbol=WTSHF;range=5y)

Westshore is operating at full capacity, to the point where they are turning business away.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/us-coal-curbs-would-boost-westshore-terminals-traffic/article18981284/

"B.C.’s biggest coal export facility, Westshore Terminals Ltd., is operating at full capacity and regularly turns away business from U.S. coal producers that want to get their product to export markets. A $275-million upgrade now under way may provide some breathing room. But it likely won’t be enough to suit American producers keen to find new customers if proposed U.S. regulations reduce domestic demand."

So, while coal companies are having difficulty in this country with regulations and other issues, a terminal to ship it elsewhere (in a neighboring country, no less) it stuffed with US and Canadian business to the point where they're turning business away.

I don't own Westshore, but I've looked at it. I don't really love owning stocks that essentially revolve around one entity (TNH, UAN and sort of NTI being MLP examples of that.)

=============================

"Own piece of CHK through FAAFX, but uncomfortable with CHK's management.'

I owned it briefly, but sold in favor of other, more sleep well at night energy names. Probably sold too quickly, but wasn't a large position and not regretting the move. I think eventually something gets done with CHK being sold or broken up (Icahn, Southeastern, Vanguard and Capital World own over 30% alone, with Icahn and SE owning about 20% by themselves), but I do think it should be done sooner than later. Company was charged a day or two ago with racketeering and fraud by Michigan (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-05/chesapeake-energy-faces-new-charges-over-michigan-leases.html?cmpid=yhoo)

==============================

One other reasonable value that I've considered that comes to mind is Tim Horton's (THI), but I just don't have enough interest in the business.

===========================

"Have thought about AEO and GM, but can't muster any interest in either sector. "

I wouldn't invest in teen retailers with someone else's money. I absolutely think that one or more of these names will not be around in a few years (or probably less.) As bad as some of these names have done, I still wouldn't go anywhere near them.

The only clothing name I would have invest in if I had to pick one is Fast Retailing (FRCOY), but missed the move on that when I was looking at it in the $20's (although it's down quite a bit from its high.) In terms of US companies, I think long-term Urban Outfitters probably fares fine, but I emphasize long-term.

I have no interest in GM with what is going on. I've had some interest in the auto sector, but haven't done anything. I thought about auto tech company Valeo (VLEEY) in the $50's, but it seemed too expensive already. Oops ($72 now). Johnson Controls (JCI) was also kinda/sorta on my radar.

=============

"And, why ABT?"

Abbott's boring nature is appealing in some regards (it lost 2.5% in 2008), but I also like its serious emphasis on emerging markets, which are already a significant portion of revenue and are forecast to increase in the coming years (more than 40% of revenue from EM as of last year and they just made a major purchase of an EM pharma company the other day.) I also like their dominance in nutritional products, with a larger senior population buying things like Ensure. You also have pediatric formula likely increasing in use in EM. To me, it's a large, relatively boring and consistent play with significant (and increasing) emphasis on EM. It's something that I really don't have to think about day-to-day and probably one of the biggest examples I have of a long-term, get it/forget it holding.
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Scott thanks for starting a new thread on the subject. I always enjoy reading about what others might be doing in tweaking their portfolio. For me, I have been buying around the edges when I can find out of favor assets that fit within the area of investment themes within my portfolio. Currently, I am finding good value opportunity is difficult to come by.

About a year ago I started a new position within the growth area (global sleeve) in an emerging market fund DEMAX which I have been buying in steps and I just finished building this position out. Thus far this has turned out to have been a good move.

Another position that I opened in the growth area (large/mid cap sleeve) of my portfolio at the first part of the year was in a low p/e ratio mutual fund that seems to follow a deep discount theme and that fund is HWAAX. I am one step away from building out phase one purchase targets. In time, I may open phase two purchase targets in this fund as the market at the moment seems to be a little too pricey. Thus far, this has turned out to be a good move.

Another position that I opened another phase of purchase in at the first of the year was in the income sleeve of my portfolio and that was in a strategic income fund TSIAX. This position is still under construction as I have been averaging in and only a few steps away from phase three build out. Thus far this also has been a good move.

In addition, I have been watching my overall asset allocation of my portfolio to maintain my target allocation within certain ranges. Currently, I am a little overweight equities by about five percent from my target allocation even though I feel equities as a whole are overbought. In checking with M*’s Market Valuation Graph, which I have linked below, is showing equities are selling at about a four percent premium. http://www.morningstar.com/market-valuation/market-fair-value-graph.aspx In addition, it seems the world is largerly overbought too. http://www.bespokeinvest.com/thinkbig/2014/6/5/the-world-is-overbought.html?printerFriendly=true

Another thing, I have been following is Ron Rowland’s Leadership Strategy to see what assets he favors within this strategy. I have linked the strategy at the end of this paragraph. I compare my most recent Instant Xray report of my portfolio to Mr. Rowland’s strategy report to see how the assets held within my portfolio compare to those that he favors within the strategy. Currently his listed favored assets (those that are listed as a buy and/or a hold) make up better than sixty five percent from a style orientation of my portfolio. This tells me that from a style orientation my portfolio is by the large part positioned in the faster moving market currents (a value tilt at the moment) as the Strategy is momentum based. http://investwithanedge.com/leadership-strategy Also, I am a weekly reader of Mr. Rowland's newsletter ... Invest With An Edge. I have provided a link to its archives should you like to reference the current and past editions. http://investwithanedge.com/newsletter-archives

This is not everything that I have been doing within my portfolio but these would be considered my big three and thus far all three have produced good results. I believe this is enough to establish that I believe in and practice some active management within my portfolio. In comparison, my portfolio year-to-date is up about 6.0% and its bogey the Lipper Balanced Index is up about 4.8%. With this, Old_Skeet plans to keep on keeping-on with his twelve sleeve investment system which is currently comprised of about fifty funds.

My best three performing funds year-to-date are THOAX (12.99%) ... TOLLX (12.29%) ... and, SVAAX (10.45%). My best three for the past week were KSDVX (3.33%) ... DEMAX (2.78%) ... and, PCVAX (2.51%).

I wish all a good weekend and most of all … “Good Investing.”

Old_Skeet
  • edited June 2014
    Already trimmed small-cap and Frontier back just after new year, in January. TRAMX has been running up or down in short spurts. MSCFX has sort of languished with other small-caps. Up almost 3% in 2 days, just before this week-end, though.
    MSCFX is down to 2.43% of portf. And TRAMX is up to 2.66%.

Bonds: I continue to simply ride my small holding in DLFNX. And EM PREMX has grown back to 4% of portf. I also hold MAINX. I'm just beginning to have some negative reaction to its lagging performance... But as I soon as I might get out, you can bet it will go on a tear. Sheesh. Also hold some bonds via PRWCX and MAPOX.

US equity holdings of all types = 30.96% of portf.
    Bonds (does not include PRWCX and MAPOX) = 10% of portf.

Developed Europe = 15.94%
    Asia, Australia, NZ and everything out there = 40.48%
  • I pulled the plug on one fund that was lagging a bit with its small cap counterparts and also felt this was a good time as we have had a good run as of late. Put it into ACCNX. That fund has held up pretty well.
  • edited June 2014
    Sold a little more Canadian Pacific (CP), may just sell what's left and either add to other railroads or something else (Visa, Intercontinental Exchange, etc.)

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=CP

Canadian Pacific was something that I strongly considered as a buy and hold, but when something moves 40 points or so in about two months, trimming/selling only seems prudent. I may look again when it comes back to Earth.
  • Took a position in Two Harbors Investment (TWO), see some upside potential + it's yielding 9% +.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • ACTG, ACHN, ARWR, DVAX, XOMA, COG, REXX, CLF; PDI; DSENX
  • edited June 2014
    Out of Canadian Pacific Rail. Added Prairie Sky Royalty. Added Pfizer and added to a few other holdings. Adding GAINX.
  • @Scott -

In the last week I've added a bit to:
    SCHD SCHWAB US DIV EQUITY ETF
    WAFMX WASATCH FRONTIER
    GASFX HENNESSY GAS UTILITY
    RPHYX RIVERPARK SHORT TERM
    GPROX GRANDEUR PEAK GLBL
    PRBLX PARNASSUS CORE EQTY

Excuse the caps- copied from Schwab site & too lazy to redo.

If this market can stand my actually buying something it's more solid than I think it is. You staying with MFLDX? Just curious as to your thoughts on that.

OJ
  • Old_Joe said:

@Scott -

If this market can stand my actually buying something it's more solid than I think it is. You staying with MFLDX? Just curious as to your thoughts on that.

OJ

I haven't sold any of it, but wouldn't rule out selling a little bit if I want to add to a different fund or want to be a little more aggressive (or want a particular stock.) I own the original MFLDX shares and will definitely not be selling more than a little. I think you have a management team who makes big macro calls who have really not had a good year. I'm willing to wait a pretty long while for the fund to improve before I would begin to consider selling it entirely. I don't think there's anything quite like it in the L/S category.
  • Scott- Yes, I'm holding also. Thanks!
  • I have been waiting for what seems forever to buy SEEDX and GOODX. Still waiting.
  • I have been waiting for what seems forever to buy SEEDX and GOODX. Still waiting.

I'm also interested in GOODX....have them on a watch list to study the fund.
    What are you waiting for, a market correction?
    These former Fairholme guys look interesting.

I'm also starting to study Smead Value, SMVLX. The manager has caught my attention, and I've heard him on two audio interviews with Chuck Jaffe. Sounds good.
  • I bought TREMX 3 months ago when em-Europe nose dived after the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Decided to sell emerging Europe this week and keep the 20% return on the bet. Put the money into PRNEX which I've been building up slowly since last fall. I thought the energy sector was a good bet at the end of last year and more-so now with the rising turmoil in the Mid-east.

I like using PRNEX for this area because it is more diversified then a strictly energy sector fund.
  • Selling COST and adding proceeds to exisiting positions in it to RHS, XLP and a TFOIX.
  • MikeM : A question if I may. What % of portfolio did you apply to TREMX? The reason behind this question follows. When I try to make a buck or two doing this, buying after sell off, I usually invest < 1 % of total portfolio. As of today I'm sitting on 2 mfs, miners & natural resources . Both with a nice gain.
    Is 20 % gain your signal to sell. What would be your selling point if MF continues to drop & last but not least, taxable account or not?
    Thanks for your time & thoughts.
    Derf
  • edited June 2014
    rjb112 said:

I have been waiting for what seems forever to buy SEEDX and GOODX. Still waiting.

I'm also interested in GOODX....have them on a watch list to study the fund.
    What are you waiting for, a market correction?
    These former Fairholme guys look interesting.

I'm also starting to study Smead Value, SMVLX. The manager has caught my attention, and I've heard him on two audio interviews with Chuck Jaffe. Sounds good.
    Yes exactly. Downside protection / Value / etc is overrated. I'm okay buying and holding such funds, but like I have stated so many times, WHEN you buy will ALWAYS be more important than WHAT you buy. It is very important to chose the exact point to buy such funds. I was very careful about when I bought WGRNX, FAIRX, JORDX, etc. and feel comfortable holding them through ups and downs. MXXVX I have traded so many times and again keeping watch to add to my small position. HSGFX I should have timed better. Bought right after M* dissed it, which historically is not a bad strategy, but I could have DCA'ed slower.

I have learnt my lessons. More importantly I have learnt patience. I'll wait.
  • One thing I really like is when a fund kicks my market value tripwire, indicating a haircut is due...this happened with FAIRX and FPACX. I am simply reallocating the proceeds to an income sleeve and buying 2 new equity positions in KO and CLX
  • PRESSmUP said:

One thing I really like is when a fund kicks my market value tripwire, indicating a haircut is due...this happened with FAIRX and FPACX. I am simply reallocating the proceeds to an income sleeve and buying 2 new equity positions in KO and CLX

The way I do that is NOT reinvest distributions. Easier to track cost basis and my positions grow more slowly and/or I'm able to control where I put the dough. Helps me keep my weights diversified across managers.

I own FAIRX and FPACX. Not touching them at this time.
  • Hi Derf. Just to point out, 90% of my portfolio is pretty stationary. I segregate 10% to play with in hope of creating a little alpha, but obviously it doesn't always work. In fact, I now have huge dislike for PM and miner funds and won't touch them again. I've just never had good luck getting in and out.
    What % of portfolio did you apply to TREMX?
    >> My stake was only about 2% of total.
    Is 20 % gain your signal to sell.
    >> To be honest, I'm not very sophisticated about this. Getting in is a lot easier then getting out. When buying, I use the advice of an old board favorite from the FundAlarm days, rono. I buy maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 of what I want to bet and watch what it does. If it goes up I complete my buy in one or two more installments. If the initial buy drops I'll wait and watch.

Deciding when to get out is always tougher for me. The safest thing I found after a decent rise is to trim off the profits and maybe reduce the principle investment. In the case of buying TREMX, EM funds were already low, and the political conflict in the Ukraine (i believed) exaggerated the fund price. I figured the fund would at least come back from the initial sell off - and when it did I sold. Energy and global tech are my longer trend betting sectors so I moved the TREMX money to PRNEX.
    taxable account or not?
    >> not. everything is done in my 401k.

So I guess in a nut shell, I'm not the right person to give advice on momentum investing. I don't have set rules and I kind of play by gut-feel and what I pick up from this board and other reading. Love it when Junkster shares what he is doing:)

• edited June 2014
    Since my original post under this thread dated June 7th I have continued to buy around the edges and I have added to my position in TOLLX which is a member of the specialty sleeve as a momentum move and I added to TSIAX which is a member of the income sleeve and I also added to CAPAX which is a member of the hybrid income sleeve. In addition, I plan to add to AZNAX this coming week since it recently made its monthly distribution of 8.75 cents per share which equates to about an 8% annual distribution yield.

My best three performing funds year-to-date are SVAAX (13.46%) … THOAX (13.27%) … and, TOLLX (13.18%). My Best three for this past 30 days are IIVAX (6.26%) … SPECX (6.16%) … and, KSDVX (5.92%). My best three for this past week are SVAAX (2.72%) … VADAX (1.79%) … and, FDSAX (1.67%). Year-to-date my portfolio is up 6.8% and its bogey the Lipper Balanced Index is up 5.34%.

I believe stock market valuations to be a little on the frothy side and to support this thought I have provided a link to P/E Ratios and Yields on the major indexes along with Morningstar’s Fair Value Graph.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3021-peyield.html?mod=wsj_mdc_additional_ustocks

http://www.morningstar.com/market-valuation/market-fair-value-graph.aspx

I wish all … “Good Investing.”
    Old_Skeet
  • Thanks to everyone that contributed to this discussion !!
    Good investing, Derf
  • Old_Skeet said:

I believe stock market valuations to be a little on the frothy side and to support this thought I have provided a link to P/E Ratios and Yields on the major indexes along with Morningstar’s Fair Value Graph.

More on this frothiness globally...nothing is oversold:
    shortsideoflong.com/2014/06/overbought-vs-oversold/