Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This stinks!

Hi Guys!
Been long week.....this working for a living.....well, it stinks. This Ukraine thing......I vote to give it to the Russians. Hell, Putin will have a new toy to play with....gives him something to do. Saw a lot about Ted here....don't know much about this. Love his post, though. Read many of them when I have time. Also love the portfolio posts...didn't know other people had so many funds. I've been trying to cut down....load up good funds with more money. I know good funds. It's a matter of opinion....like your favorite ice cream flavor. Also, Ted, could you put up your portfolio, please? Would love to see it. I also have been thinking....doing this cutting edge thing again (lol): buying a single bond. Has anybody else done this? I guess what I'm saying is how is it done? Are funds better? I love the title of the movie, "Money Never Sleeps," (have not seen the movie). Need to keep trying new things.....the fund posts. I guess my question is: why so many for a specific area? Do you put a big % in the area with many funds (probably answered my own stupid question)? Anyway, waiting for the bounce up in the market. THIS STINKS!!! No cash.....first time ever (would say worse things but mother's around!). Say, could anybody lend me a cool million? Heck, how about two million? Let's do it right!
Have you seen CNBC website? They say the death of denim.....now, I know I'm old enough to remember the designer denim jeans with Brookie.....just her and you-know-who! Flash to Duke, my dog. He loves cantaloupe and he has my dish. Am not winning this war either---just like a mini-Putin: he wants it all!
the PuddnHead
p.s. John Chism would like to know about the bonds, thanx. Will put in part of my portfolio just for fun: APPLX, AVEDX, BHBFX, BPAUX, BTBFX, CHTTX. All for now. Party on Dudes!!

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I think Junkster has shared that he will put his entire portfolio in a single bond fund. Or, whatever he thinks is trading in a tight channel. But he will have his finger on the sell button if things head south...short leash. Not sure if he does that with a single bond though. I believe Ted too has shared that he will hold individual bonds.

Ha! I just bought Levis 505s. Three pair. (Wife insisted...tired of having to wash too frequently.) But, I'm old. My daughter and son-in-law just visited and they never wore denim. Hmmm.
  • I'm from the era when blue jeans were stiff as boards when new and when you wore a hole in your knees Mom either sewed it up or put on one of those iron on patches. Levi's were made in the USA then as were all of the big names. Those days are gone.

I think it was someone else that asked about bonds.
  • Puddnhead said:

I also have been thinking....doing this cutting edge thing again (lol): buying a single bond. Has anybody else done this? I guess what I'm saying is how is it done?

Regarding "how is it done"?
    You can purchase an individual bond at a brokerage. For example, you can speak with the "bond desk" or "bond department" at brokerages such as Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, etc. They will tell you what is in their bond inventory, and if you find a bond you like, you can purchase it. It would be helpful if you had an idea of the type of bond you were looking for prior to speaking with their bond departments, but I'm sure they would speak with you about it either way.

You can purchase Treasury fixed income securities directly from the Treasury at TreasuryDirect

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/products/products.htm

Don't get your hopes up too high regarding the interest rates you will find.

And these interest rates are quite a bit higher than can be found in most other countries of the world today.

• edited August 2014
    When it comes to bonds, unless you are pretty savvy in bond investing I would recommend bond funds. Some investors have good luck picking single issues but I'm not one of them. I have of investors who live in certain states getting into their state's bonds of which are tax free. If you live in a high tax state that would be an option. The big fund companies will have funds for those too like California for example.

I might check out the strategic income funds. There are plenty of threads here and on M* These funds have popular as of late. Whatever you decide, keep your duration short.

Check back here as there are a number of posters with more knowledge of bonds than I could ever attain.
  • I guess what I'm thinking about is....when I retire, to have one bond from my state (like a municipal) to diversify my portfolio. I get the check each month or quarter for 10 to 15 years....so, no worries about interest rate changes. Would only be interested in local top shelf stuff. Again, this is a new idea for me. Never thought about this before.....will have to check with Fidelity about this.
    Never wore denim..... really, the horror of the thought....of not having a pair of old jeans to slide into! You know what to get them for Christmas, Charles (lol)! A few more funds from the portfolio: FPHAX, FSCRX, FSPHX, GASEX, GLFOX. Got to make some breakfast now. Later......
    the Pudd
  • Puddnhead,

Don't count on buying a municipal bond and assuming it will be for the 15 or 20 year maturity at the same rate. I have individual munis, and they all have first call dates in 2016, at which time I expect that they will be called. Since what I have is 4.25% - 4.75% Im sure of it, since they could reissue at lower rates.
  • edited August 2014
    today - tsp [401k] still 80 stocks/ 20 bonds.
    private portfolio in vanguard/boa etc... - around 60% stocks and 40% bonds [YTD return ~ 6.1% not too bad:)]
    largest funds holdings
    vanguard primecap VPCCX
    vanguard total bond BND
    us global resources PSPFX
    vanguard total stock fund market etf
    gold GLD
    little of janus overseas

everything is so expensive to buy now in terms of stocks/fund etc.... Any ideas of what to buy out there [beside couple of 6 pack beers tonight]?
  • Hi Slick!
    So they are callable....you know this at the start, I guess. When called, that's if you have to buy a new one, are there no calls? My guess is yes, at a lower price. And how long 'til first call? 3-5 years, more or less. By the way, good job 4.2 to 4.7! I can see why they would call it. Is that safe by that investment grade? What are they paying now? Probably will not buy 'til rates go up. Can I do this at Fidelity or not? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm sure you can see I know very little.
    PuddnHead
  • Hi pudd,
    I am no expert in bonds, there are others on the board that could answer some of your questions, I suggest you post as a seperate topic. Mine were I inherited, so that is why the good rate. They were issued about 5 years ago.these are Aa1 bonds, considered excellent quality. Fidelity does have a bond desk, talk to them and learn all you can before you buy. Dont just look at local issues even though out of state bonds will give you only federally tax free. Mine were issued in North carolina and I live in new mexico.
  • Puddnhead:
    "...bonds will be available to retail investors as well as governmental entities during two weeks of nearly every month..."
    http://www.massbondholder.com/buy-mass-bonds