Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sick market but.....

edited September 2014 in Fund Discussions
Not sure I ever a met a rich technician. Strong day today but more new 52 week lows than highs on the NASDAQ and AMEX and barely more 52 week highs than lows on the NYSE. Yet the Dow, S&P, and NASDAQ are hanging around 52 week highs. The Russell 2000 appears to have topped months ago and the Mid Cap Index appeared to have double topped just recently as have junk corporates which had another bad day today. Meanwhile the 10 year has looked ugly since Labor Day. There was some technician on CNBC lamenting how much the average listed stock is off its 52 week high compared to the averages. So what's my point here? No point, just idle technical chatter.

Comments

• It sounds like a correction is coming.
  • edited September 2014
    Ted said:
    Thanks Ted, I read most of your links but not this one because I thought it was just referencing the S&P 500. After reading it now and seeing it also references the other indexes makes the market even more sickly as that CNBC technician was trying to convey.

Edit: Heard and saw all sorts of divegences with the market beginning in April 1998 (before the ultimate top in early 2000) and sure would have hated to have missed that nearly two year period. I get a bit leery when everyone and their mother sees the same things, so we shall see how this plays out.

Edit 2 - Before I hear about it yes, there are a lot of rich Wall Street technicians who make their income from being on the payrolls of various Wall Street firms and hedge funds. Just never met a rich mom and pop home-based trading technician using all the technical mumbo jumbo, at least any in that top 5% of U.S. households with over 1 million in investable assets.

• edited September 2014
    Michael Holland, perhaps biggest market optimist after Abby Joseph Cohen, just stated he's "paring back" his equity exposure. Cites Russian/Ukraine situation as biggest concern (PBS-NBR - produced by CNBC).

If Putin's not really nuts, he's doing a darned good job pretending to be. Tested a really big fire-cracker today. I recall living with this kind of #**##* during the 60s. Today's youngsters may not relate very well.

Yah - I detect a change in markets recently. On "up" market days I'm sometimes down. Commodities are getting absolutely crushed. I don't think that can last much longer. Even with fracking, there's still overhead expenses to cover.

Russian ICBM test http://www.newsweek.com/russia-tests-icbm-putin-complains-about-nato-rhetoric-269618
  • @Junkster, Regarding your comment on 1998 divergences, I think we are seeing some of that but the valuations back then were so much higher. JDSU comes to mind.
  • hank, if even the market optimists are turning wary that is bullish if you are into market sentiment. As for the 60s, pretty good market years as I recall, especially the early 60s.

John, so right are those obscene valuations in the late 90s.
  • Hank said:
    Commodities are getting absolutely crushed.As evidenced in today's news blips!
    "iron ore prices slide to five-year lows"
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/1977095-end-of-the-iron-age-as-iron-ore-prices-slide-to-five-year-lows
    Crude closes below $92 on demand woes, energy shares hit
    Sep 10 2014, 15:28 ET | By: Carl Surran,
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/1976565-crude-closes-below-92-on-demand-woes-energy-shares-hit

OPEC's latest monthly report adds to the bearish outlook for crude oil, as it cuts forecasts for the amount of crude it will need to supply as surging North American shale output reduces reliance on its supplies.
    http://seekingalpha.com/news/1976075-opec-sees-slower-demand-for-its-oil-thanks-to-u-s-shale-surge
    OPEC reduced forecasts for the amount of crude it will need to supply by the most in at least three years as surging North American shale output reduces reliance on the group’s supplies.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-10/opec-cuts-demand-outlook-by-most-in-three-years-on-shale.html

Raw-sugar prices fell to the lowest in more than four years amid signs of an expanding global surplus as output accelerated in Brazil, the largest supplier.
    “It’s basic economics -- more supply available than demand,” George Kopp, a senior market analyst at International Futures Group in Greenville, South Carolina, said in a telephone interview. “It’s hard to get excited about a market that’s been in a downtrend for so long.”
    By Luzi Ann Javier Sep 10, 2014 2:12 PM CT
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-10/sugar-declines-to-lowest-since-2010-on-global-surplus.html
  • Because of it's relevance to this conversation, I'm taking the liberty of reproducing my comments from the "Many market sectors are struggling a bit" thread, yesterday. If you've already seen it, please disregard the duplication. Thanks.

What's to be bearish about?

• The US is pretty much alone in climbing back... sort of... out of the great recession.

• The EU is heading back down, also in a major fistfight with their main energy supplier, Russia: there will be more collateral damage before that's over.

• South America isn't going anywhere for a while.

• China, Asia: Yes, what about China? Poised to shove their weight around and cause lots of trouble in the South China Sea area. No problem for us though, we'll just "pivot" over that way to keep an eye on those guys. Wait... wait... maybe we'd better stay in Europe and keep an eye on Putin... and what about Iraq/Syria/Iran/Israel (yet again)??? Holy smoke!

• The Mideast. Yes, the bloody never-ending fanatic, murderous Mideast. Well, nothing much new going on there, other than a new bunch of fanatic, bloody, murderous bastards who will do their best to overthrow, mutilate, behead, destroy and otherwise inconvenience all of the existing fanatic, bloody, murderous bastards. Not our problem, right? Oh-oh... wait a minute... that's not going so well either... it looks like we may have to do... something!

Well, at least things are just fine here at home. Fortunately we are completely independent of the rest of the world, so none of that other stuff can cause any problems here. The middle class is recovering nicely, the folks at the bottom are moving smartly right up the ladder, good jobs are plentiful, folks now have a little extra to put away for retirement, education is available at reasonable cost, our infrastructure is rapidly being modernized, and best of all, everyone has new iPhones!!

PARRRTTTTYYYY!!!

• edited September 2014
    A trace of sarcasm here?

:)

• Who, me?? Nevaire!!
    :-)