Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Sad Day goes Mostly Forgotten

MJG
edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

How quickly we forget.

On November 22, 1963, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

I came across no recognition of this sad day that changed our historical. path. Camelot ended almost before it started. The world lost a leader.

Please remember and honor him.

Comments

• I was surprised that I did not see anything on tv about it. That day is etched in my memory. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard- in 7th grade biology class. Students were crying and so were the teachers that day. No other president since then has had that kind of impact on us or that we felt so strongly about. History has shown he may not have been the best president we ever had, but outside of FDR was the only one we felt so connected to.
  • Hi Slick,

I too remember exactly where I was and did on that tragic day. I'm a tad older than you and was at work that morning.

At that time I was working for a strategic defense contractor. Our immediate reaction was shock. But rather than sympathy for our fallen president we worried more about a surprise attack because of our disarray. We went on high alert. Those were internationally very dangerous times and fear levels were extremely intense. Thankfully, our fears never materialized.

Kennedy had the leadership qualities that could really galvanize the whole nation into a unified action. Our space programs were never the same after his assassination.

Thank you for your personal story.

Best Wishes.
  • Yes, we took particular pride in JFK here in Massachusetts. Favorite Son. I was in the 3rd Grade. 52 years. GAWD.
  • I was in the 2nd grade. Memories of that day indelibly implanted....principal coming into my classroom, crying, getting dismissed from school early, walking home from school and seeing my mother and the neighbor in our living room, crying. I still remember my mother's ironing board set up in the living room. Sitting on the couch with my dad and seeing Oswald get shot. Looking at pictures of everything in Life magazine.

Only thing that compares in my lifetime is 9/11.
  • Haven't forgotten. Perhaps one day we'll be allowed to know the truth.
  • just what this site needs, a JFK conspiracy thread
  • LOL hee hee hee hee.
  • edited November 2015
    I remember the funeral more than the specific day he was killed, as I was just barely aware of the circumstances.

What I do remember the most was the funeral procession and the drums...those damn drums with their methodical and sorrowful repetition.
  • I won't cheapen the moment by getting into the conspiracy. Let's just take a moment to remember a true leader. Apologies if my intentions seemed to be other.
  • edited November 2015
    I have much the same memories as little5bee. Principle Sr. Mary Michael came into our class room towards the end of the day to tell us. I remember her as a very strict lady, but she was sad that day. I must have been in the 4th grade. Strangely, I most remember the quiet bus ride home. Even at that age us kids new this was something that just didn't happen in our world.

I do remember watching the funeral procession. I don't remember if I watched at school or if it took place on a weekend. I remember being sad watching those kids, Carolyn and John-John.
  • Brian I think your comment was fine, I know of no one that believes what the Warren Commission fed to the nation. David, I think sometimes you should just give it a rest.
  • I know of no one that believes what the Warren Commission fed to the nation.
    I do. Is there proof otherwise?

What conspiracy do you think it was, Castro, the mafia - Frank Sinatra, Russia, LBJ, the US military, the CIA, Herbert Hoover? I've heard every one of those conspiracies. Probably more. All have been debunked as far as I know. You may be hoping to rationalize the irrational.

• Thanks, Mark.
  • Mike, you're the first that I've heard express that sentiment. Henceforth I will say "almost no one." As for myself I've never been fully convinced by physical evidence, rhetoric or theory that Oswald acted alone. It will always just be a sad, sad day in our history.
  • Very much agree Mark. The loss of our innocence in a way.
  • edited November 2015
    In high school I was always a bit of a cutup. I was in French class and asked to be excused. Instead of going to the restroom I just roamed the halls. I learned JFK had been killed from the school secretary and before it was announced on the PA system. I went running back to French class to tell everyone and the teacher thought I was playing my usual practical joke and really got on my case. In the minutes after it was announced the teacher came back to me and gave me a heartfelt apology. I ran across him some 35 years later and we reminisced about that day and his original reaction. I was never a fan of JFK but agree it was the day the world changed and to never be the same since. If you were brought up after the war and the 50s you would understand.
  • I was in college. I remember groups of students gathered around the student union sharing their grief. On 9/11, I was a faculty member. Students were scattered around our campus mostly talking on their cellphones. It was a jarring contrast.
  • edited November 2015
    @Mark, where do you get off telling us how everyone thinks? Let me be the second to speak sense to you.

>> I know of no one that believes what the Warren Commission fed to the nation.

I do. I know a great many people who do. Including a family member who has served in two state departments. Plus all the ex-mil members of my family.

>> David, I think sometimes you should just give it a rest.

What, calling BS? Seriously?

One of the wiser ex-gov members of my family points out, as needed, that anyone who thinks the deep dark evil conspiracy secrets would remain successfully hidden for 50y simply has no idea how gov works, much less people. What a huge success story! Like nothing else in history.

Of course the subtext of paranoia is intense need for control, so there is that.

@MikeM, great phrase, rationalize the irrational.
  • I'm also with MikeM on this one. I don't trust our government (or any government) to tell the truth on much of anything, but I think that this one has been pretty well exhausted with respect to known facts, and I do believe that all of the pertinent facts are known.
  • edited November 2015
    Re: "Camelot ended almost before it started."

Ironically, we're viewing Camelot at home this evening (Richard Harris & Vanessa Redgrave). First time watching. Pretty good flick - if you enjoy theater.

Your point isn't missed MJG. Remember it all too well. It's said the music from Camelot was among Jack's favorites. The play debuted on Broadway around 1960 about the time Kennedy took office. The film version actually came out in '67, several years after his death.

Thanks MJG. Back to viewing.

• Count me in as well. Not that it really matters; I'm much more concerned with what various groups and governments are doing today.

Regarding the Kennedy mystique - definitely real, a most inspiring president. But that is different from saying he was effective. That is something more open to question, and there is a severe divergence between public perception and political science people's opinions.

In 2010, the former would have put Kennedy on Mount Rushmore, while a recent survey of the latter consider him the most overrated president.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/02/16/new-ranking-of-u-s-presidents-puts-lincoln-1-obama-18-kennedy-judged-most-over-rated/

Consider me respectful of the man, cognizant of the emotional impact he had on people, but not one to offer unalloyed praise.
  • @msf- Yessir, I'm with you on that also.
  • edited November 2015
    @David - by giving it a rest I was inferring that not every topic on this board needs to be taken off topic or even suggestive of same. I just felt that the original topic should be respected as it stood, remembering a president who died tragically. As with 9/11 it's probably the only other day that I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing, how I felt and how those I encountered felt. BS never entered my mind.

I did not tell you how 'everyone' else thinks. I told you that I (meaning me, myself) knew of no one who believed what the Warren Commission fed to us. I personalized it. I did not pretend to speak for everyone. Now I know some who feel otherwise. Fine. Doesn't change my mind. I still am unconvinced that Oswald acted alone. Since I'm ex-mil and friends with two former Vice-presidents I guess my belief must be valid. YMMV
  • Hi Mark, Hi Guys,

Mark, thank you for attempting to refocus the submittals to the original purpose of my post: To honor the memory of our 35th President.

I honor and respect him, although I didn’t always agree with his policies or decisions. History will have a mixed review of his contributions because of the Bay-of-Pigs fiasco and the successful Cuban Missile crisis resolution. Also the assassination ended his short time in office.

I was in the Army Reserves during the Cuban incident, and my unit prepared for an immediate call to active duty. The Sergeants were checking foot-sock conditions and we were requisitioning extra ammunition. It never happened because of the events speedy resolution.

As several posters mentioned, the 9/11 tragedy is an equally unforgettable happening in all our lives. Indeed, I share that same thought. However, in my case, I more conspicuously remember what my wife and I did in its immediate aftershock.

We had planned a flight/sea cruise trip that included Japan, China, and Russia. The cruise was scheduled to depart less than 2 weeks after the 9/11 attack. We made that trip. Originally, about 50 folks had committed to the tour, but only 13 of us did so.

Terror acts do have a residual impact. Recovery does occur, but time is needed. For many months after the attack, air travel was measurably down while substitute auto travel was up. That logical decision resulted in a secondary 9/11 incident casualty multiplier impact because the incremental auto travel increased the death toll over what air travel would have produced.

As an aside, I am hard pressed to describe the warm and enthusiastic welcome we received in the countries that we visited. They took extra steps to demonstrate their support for our Nation and for us.

We were royally treated everywhere, especially in Vladivostok. The Russians assigned young men in heavy coats (likely concealing automatic weapons) to protect us while they kept a respectable distance away. The visit went without any trouble. The whole town came out to sing us a hearty send-off as our ship departed the harbor. I’ll never forget my feelings that moment.

Within a month we experienced the evil and the goodness of mankind from far away places. The world keeps getting smaller.

Best Wishes.
  • You all make me feel very young. I was 5 years old, and had a babysitter that day. But I do remember exactly where I was standing when my babysitter told me the news.
  • @Mark,

I was responding to a post about 'being allowed to know the truth' or some such guff. I myself did not disrespect the OP and did not take anything off-topic, so you may direct your mil and VP-pal cred more appropriately. I was surprised someone of your clear sense did not jump in to agree with me: let us respect the OP and not spin off into conspiracy crap. Last, 'I know no one who ...', etc. typically is a rhetorical technique, not someone's factual news report; sorry.
  • Alright, you guys... how about we all stand down and have a beer. You're all intelligent individuals, and have nothing to prove to anybody. Sometimes we make an unfortunate comment,or phrase something in a way that was a little careless. No need to throw all those knives at each other. Save them for the truly deserving, who, fortunately, don't show up here all that often.

Have a good Thanksgiving, all.
  • I was in kindergarten when it happened. My recollection was largely from my parents who was very sad to loss a young and inspiring president.

In my study later in Europe, people still talked about the young president who stood up to the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War.