Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

glenn frey dies at age 67

Comments

• Indeed. 2016 is not off to a good start.
  • Bowie and now this. Keith Richards must have made a deal with the devil.
  • and Alan Rickman, RIP.
  • Bowie and now this. Keith Richards must have made a deal with the devil.
    Please allow me to introduce myself
    ... Could Keith be the "Lucifer" in Symphony for the Devil. My favorite Stones song by the way.

Frey was a great song writer. Desperado may be my favorite song ever.
  • Please allow me to introduce myself
    "Lucifer" in Symphony for the Devil. My favorite Stones song by the way.

@MikeM My favorite Stones song, as well, but as far as Eagles...probably a tie between "Peaceful Easy Feeling" or "Take It Easy"...not a "Desperado" fan!

• MikeM said:

Bowie and now this. Keith Richards must have made a deal with the devil.
    Please allow me to introduce myself
    ... Could Keith be the "Lucifer" in Symphony for the Devil. My favorite Stones song by the way.

Frey was a great song writer. Desperado may be my favorite song ever.
    My favorite is the long version of Hotel California. Something special about hearing the beginning "on a dark desert highway" as I was doing just that many times while living in Nevada.
  • edited January 2016
    Stones = Can't you hear me knock'in

For the below, at 2 minutes, 45 seconds; a most interesting rock/jazz, progressive rock instrumental run of about 5 minutes. This song stuck in my head years ago and it still remains with pleasure. The wonderful "sax" piece within this...........the sax musician has passed, too.
    You may have to click upon the play arrow a second to start the video.

This could or should be an investment mantra/anthem song for some folks

Also, former David Bowie and Mott The Hoople drummer Dale Griffin has died at the age of 67.

I expect the remaining Rolling Stone members to live past the age of 100.......just a feeling.......................

Lastly, I know a surprising number of high school aged music lovers who follow many of the 60's and 70's rock band music.

Sincerely,
    Catch
  • There seem to be points in Time where death finds people who have had some connection to each other at certain points in Time in the past. When you're 60 and it happens, you notice it, and look back in the rearview mirror and realize it has been happening all along. When you're 30, you simply don't see it. It seems like we are in one of those "clusterings" now. It is what it is, but nevertheless somewhat unsettling, like bumps in the night combined with the sound of shoes dropping.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pierre Boulez, January 5, 2016. The greatest musician of postwar 20th century. Collaborated with Frank Zappa.
  • My favorite album of theirs is "Hell Freezes Over" which was named for the fact that when they broke up in 1980 and asked if they would ever get back together, they said :When Hell Freezes Over". He will be missed, Frey was my favorite Eagle , his music will live on through those songs. Too many great artists seem to be leaving us, but they leave behind a legacy all of us will remember til we are gone.
  • Frey was a great song writer. Desperado may be my favorite song ever.

I played that one over and over, and Ronstadt's version, too.
  • edited January 2016

Pierre Boulez, January 5, 2016. The greatest musician of postwar 20th century. Collaborated with Frank Zappa.

I just learned something else. ..... And 2016 is really VERY stinky, already. Bitter cold and wind here, but still just a dusting of snow, and streets are clear. Wind chill = ZERO F. Knock on wood. (Now, just watch: a blizzard will show up.)
  • I was wondering if anyone had noticed Boulez' passing. He had a thankless task, succeeding Leonard Bernstein with the New York Philharmonic. His interpretations were criticized as being cold, but crystalline might have been more apt.
  • @msf- No, I missed that, as well as Frühbeck de Burgos who died just a few months after we saw him conducting the SF Symphony... cancer. Man, you just never know.
  • Pierre Boulez was at the top of my pantheon for 45 years. I expect that seat will remain empty now.
    For many years he was Principal Guest Conductor of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. One memorable occasion he and the pianist Pierre-Laurent Aimard and conductor David Robertson gave a pre-concert talk. I sat in the front row, about 2 yards away from this stellar combo, and took notes furiously. He was a very generous man, especially after the Great Mellowing.
    De Burgos is a new name to me; I will look him up. I do try to know the conductors and major composers. Pablo Heras-Casado is another smart, excellent conductor; I hope to see more of him.
    NPR played some of Frank Zappa as interpreted by Boulez. It was amazing.
  • @InformalEconomist- Saw Heras-Casado with the SF Symphony last April, and liked his style.