Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Where to now?

Just curious what others are doing with their portfolio presently. It seems almost everything is getting whacked, including small caps, international, technology, growth, intermediate/long bonds, munis, etc. Maybe I just picked all the wrong sectors for the time being. Are you standing pat, adding/selling, exploring new investments, or just holding cash?

Comments

• Actually I’m waiting on end of year distributions and then I’ll rebalance in January. Currently adding to PRHSX and PRMTX in Roth.
  • Taking profits and dumping the proceeds in my bond funds, before this southward blow lands us somewhere down in the pampas or Tierra del Fuego. Morons in charge. If they ever gave me the chance, heads would roll. But "we get the leaders we deserve." ---Bill Maher.

Profits from PRIDX and PRDSX to PRSNX multi-sector bonds, so far. I've kept the principle in the funds, though... And I'll be growing PTIAX. Will wait for year-end pay-out to reduce PRWCX. Market is down, but not drastically yet, and I've learned it's smarter to take profit, rather than ride this mule ALL way way down into the canyon. ZURICH AXIOMS, eh?
  • edited October 2018
    Still 80 20 in 401k.tsp...long time till retirement... Can ride our few more recessions... Would buy more if major crash Dca

Bought gm bond yield mid6% in private brokerage acct price 91cents cusip 37045V-AT-7
  • Sold some DSENX and PCI for cash and then bought back in on dips, partly, prematurely
  • edited October 2018
    * Bank loans and non-agency mortgages are still working, knock on wood.

* U.S. quality equity's doing okay. Health care's done great lately, but may be time for a siesta. Consumer staples have been moving in the right direction, and typically do okay late in a cycle.

* A bit of a cash cushion's probably a decent idea to have in reserve for buying opportunities, maybe around Santa Claus time.
  • I've converted some mutual fund bond money into CDs. I don't plan any changes to equity weightings in my self managed portfolio.

I had a couple stocks on limit buy-orders kick in during this drop, but very small amounts, DowDupont and Apple. The thing about these limit orders, I find, is they can be sweet and sour at the same time. You get the price you thought would be a bargain price, but then once it kicks in you hope you didn't try and catch falling knife as the price goes even lower. Oh well, patience is the game.

• I sold a couple funds in my IRA a month ago and have the proceeds waiting to be invested. We're in bear market territory now and I expect this to be a prolonged and complex correction lasting 6-9 months before the bull resumes and takes us to a new ATH. Looking to buy into WSMNX and another, as yet undecided, fund.
  • not in any usual senses are we in a bear market, I think
  • Sold 8% of equities just before the downturn to 30% equities now. Lucky though it happened at the right time. When things level out intend to buy some more VEIRX and VMNVX but not back to the 8% level.
  • fundly said:

When things level out intend to buy some more

The problem is, how will you know when it's the time when things level out? It's easy to look back and see it as such.

I added healthcare at the start of this downturn, but it kept going down further, so now I'm not sure if I should hold.

Sold most of my EM, which after almost 2 years, turned out to be much ado about nothing, but at least I didn't lose.
  • @sea: Hold you healthcare fund !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited October 2018
    "Where to now?" Well, that depends on your perspective and what you want to achieve. I'm thinking this will vary from investor to investor. For me, I'm in the process of increasing both my cash and fixed income allocations while reducing my equity allocation. In my cash area I'm adding to my money market funds (mostly PCOXX) and expanding my cd ladder from three steps to four by adding a two year step. In the fixed income area I'm adding to LBNDX, NEFZX and CTFAX plus adding a new position BLADX. This will expand my fixed income sleeve from six funds to seven. I plan to let my year end capital gains distributions that will soon be coming from my equity funds plus most of my fourth quarter portfolio income fund this movement over the next couple of months. I'm thinking this movement will lower my equity allocation by about two to three percent and raise my fixed income allocation by about two percent and cash allocation by about one percent over the next couple of months. Come the first of the year both my wife and I will be taking our RMD's and this money is currently planned to be used towards funding this movement. Naturally, I will reassess this planned movement quarterly and make changes if felt necessary. So, for me, this is where I'm heading within my portfolio; and, where I'm heading might not be right for you as this is an aged based rebalance of sorts.
  • edited October 2018
    Old_Skeet said:

“I plan to let my year end capital gains distributions that will soon be coming from my equity funds plus most of my fourth quarter portfolio income fund this movement over the next couple of months.”

@Old_Skeet, Is there a word missing in there somewhere?

Since I’m getting old and am basically committed at this time to a static allocation, I plan to just go down with the ship if she sinks.
  • edited October 2018
    @hank: A) Perhaps ... I'm getting old too.
  • @sea
    When" things level out" is when I feel that it is the right time for me whenever that is. It is when I think the downturn may have hit bottom. Will I be right. Maybe yes maybe not, but so far my gut,research,and some luck let me retire at the age of 54. I do not sweat this sort of stuff anyhow. How about you?
  • edited October 2018
    @Old_Skeet,

I get it now. I was reading “fund” as a noun: “my personal income fund

You intended it as a verb: “income ... will fund this movement”

Thanks for responding. Didn’t mean to be critical.

Regards
  • Probably, I am a conspiracy theorist, but I think market volatility will end after the midterm election.
  • Ted said:

@sea: Hold you healthcare fund !
    Regards,
    Ted

Thank you Ted, I will (they are ETFs).
    fundly said:

@sea
    When" things level out" is when I feel that it is the right time for me whenever that is. It is when I think the downturn may have hit bottom. Will I be right. Maybe yes maybe not, but so far my gut,research,and some luck let me retire at the age of 54. I do not sweat this sort of stuff anyhow. How about you?

I'm not sweating, because I need such downturns to get in some funds and buy on the cheap, and in the belief that the market will inevitably go back up. What I regret is not taking profit in my EM fund at the peak when I had 40%+ gains. I'm learning a lesson not to own too many funds, so that I can keep an eye on each and every one I own and take action when called for.
  • Yes, just for the sake of simplifying, I dumped MAPOX and added it all to PRWCX. I'm seriously top-heavy now in PRWCX, but will be re-allocating the majority of it into bonds, after the December pay-out. I've finally actually begun to go heavier into bonds and much lighter in stocks, wanting to generate income at this stage. Took some baby-steps in that direction in the past two days. My only taxable account is now with PTIAX. Wife's 403b is in VSCIX. Those two are our smallest holdings, still. Small-caps are getting crushed these days, but this whole thing is a marathon, not a sprint. All else is in TRP now.
  • Hi @hank: Thanks for making comment and asking for clarity. Sorry, I came back with such a short answer. Seems as I have aged and my fingers now seem to type, at times, what they want over what my brain directs. I'm going to have to start doing more drafts and stop from making direct post as I finding to many errors (some I catch before posting) and possibly I could write with more clarity. Seems, you and Ted have been kind enough to recently bring a few of my goofs to my attention in subtle ways. This has spoken volumes to me. Thanks again no harm done.
  • edited October 2018
    No “goof” on your part Ol’Skeet from my perspective. I’m guilty of reading too quickly without thinking enough about what you were saying. As a “stand alone” sentence / phrase it might seem unclear. However, within your broader context, it makes perfect sense.

I admire the way you explain everything in so much detail. It’s like a “window” into your mind.:)
  • I'm going to see where I am for capital gains toward the end of the year. If necessary, I may sell one or two losers to offset the gains. It looks like my international holdings are sell candidates.