Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Current New Issue CDs

2»

Comments

• In a sense, the mark-to-market prices are not much different from the redemption with early withdrawal penalty. Each represents the price one could get today for offloading a CD. It's just that in one case one is offloading to an arbitrary buyer, in the other case one is exercising a put to the issuer.
  • edited August 2022
    @Baseball_Fan : I checked average 5 year cd's issued .from January 2019. 1.4 -1.5 %
    Your total sum seems somewhat suspicious for holding it that long, 3.5 years .
    If you google , average cd rate 2019, you should find a chart.
    I'll also admit it seems to me I bought a cd @ 3 % around 1/st qter 2018.

One other thought. Maybe that's the value going forth, if you sell, after your interest payment to you?

Have a good one, Derf
  • If you buy new issues and hold to maturity, you will get the accrued interest in full amount plus the principal.

Still learning about the brokered CDs.
  • EFCU Financial, out of Baton Rouge. 3.75% for 5 years. (Scroll down the page.) For a "jumbo," you can get 3.85%. That's a $100,000.00 minimum.
    https://www.investopedia.com/best-5-year-cd-rates-4801473

https://www.efcufinancial.org/media/201852/august-2022-rate-sheet.pdf

I did not look to see about membership eligibility.
  • Thx for the explanations, appreciate it.

@Derf, ya it does seem wonky but...opened 5 year $90k Goldman Sachs, CD thru Schwab 1/19 @ 3.50% APY, matures 1/23, value stated a few days ago as $90,491...opened others thru Schwab during 11/19 @ 3.55%... 5 yr CDs were offering decent APYs back in late '19 etc.

Best,

Baseball Fan
  • As mentioned earlier, secondary market for brokered CDs is quite illiquid & the bids posted may involve decent haircuts (more than implied by rate changes). So, that can be much worse than 3-6 mo interest penalty for bank CDs. Brokered CDs aren't for trading.
  • That's almost 3 years, Crash- I wouldn't lock up a lot of cash for that long at 3.3%. 1 year max at that rate.
  • A few years back I bought a 2 yr Cd @ 3%. After the second year came to an end I "wished " I had a 5 yr CD as their rates went into a steady decline.
    I believe a CD ladder is the way to go. That kind of puts a lot of cash into one CD on hold.
    Have a pleasant Sunday, Derf
  • Team,

Might be off topic but more adjacent to convo....

Please talk to me and share opinions, experience with...Immediate Fixed Rate Annuities.

Looking on bluprintincome.com...

5 year, term, balance percent withdrawls allowed, Brighthouse, A rated, 4.30%.

advantages, disadvantages, tax consequences, etc?

Obviously not FDIC insured but....why would someone NOT do this rather than a 5 year CD?

Thoughts?

Best,

Baseball Fan
  • edited August 2022
    Keep in mind that once an annuity, always an annuity (until 59.5).
    So, that 5-yr term-annuity can only be rolled into another term-annuity to avoid 10% penalty before 59.5.
    So, comparison with 5-yr CD (bank or brokered) is not fair.
    Insurance co is counting on keeping that annuity money forever by offering 5-yr teaser rate.
  • Local paper ad. 2yr annuity 2.85 , 3yr 3.35 , & 4yr 3.6 %. 100 k minimum .

What happens if holder dies ?
  • Don't you have the option to take your monies elsewhere after the 5 year term? And couldn't the APY go up if interest rates go up 5 years from now?

YBB - so after you are 59.5 no penalty, to moving your monies after term expires correct?

Generally no fees, correct? (I'm asking, I don't know)

I do know when my wife inherited an annuity it was a colossal and I mean colossal task getting the monies from the insurance company...so many hurdles, BS was off the charts....from rather well known company.

Thanks for the replies
  • I think that you change (nonqualified) annuity carriers through 1035 Exchange. It is not a complicated form but just another layer of paperwork beyond normal account/money transfer paperwork. I found a sample 1035 Exchange form from NY Life. Inheriting annuity (or anything else) can be more complicated due to required proof of death and the legitimacy of beneficiaries; besides, there are different options for spouse and non-spouse beneficiaries.
    https://www.nylannuities.com/assets/documents/applications-and-forms/service-forms/1035 Exchange Form.pdf
  • Crash said:

That 4% is a teaser rate that only lasts for the first 4 months of the term. Thereafter, the rate drops to the higher of either 2% or their normal 12 month CD rate (currently 1.65%).
  • Must be a Trump operation.
  • One has to read the fine print carefully as marketing tactics are often used to get your attention. If the number sounds too good to be true, go check out the rates offered in new issued CDs from large brokerages such as Schwab and Fidelity.
  • I believe that the credit union is required to publish a blended APY, combining 4% for 4 months and 1.65% (the current rate for the remainder) for the final 12 months.

See Reg DD Appendix A. This is a stepped rate CD. Section B talks about blending rates, and Section C talks about using the current rate (1.65%) if the rate is variable.
    https://www.consumerfinance.gov/rules-policy/regulations/1030/a/#1B-1

The credit union is advertising this as 4% APY without disclosing the blended rate. This may be violating Reg DD. Haven't researched but suspect it should not be necessary to read the fine print (though one should) if the institution is stating APY as required by law.
  • One has to read the fine print carefully as marketing tactics are often used to get your attention.

Thus, the phrase: "Those bastards in Marketing."
    Must be a Trump operation.
    I plead the 5th.

• msf said:

I believe that the credit union is required to publish a blended APY, combining 4% for 4 months and 1.65% (the current rate for the remainder) for the final 12 months.

See Reg DD Appendix A. This is a stepped rate CD. Section B talks about blending rates, and Section C talks about using the current rate (1.65%) if the rate is variable.
    https://www.consumerfinance.gov/rules-policy/regulations/1030/a/#1B-1

The credit union is advertising this as 4% APY without disclosing the blended rate. This may be violating Reg DD. Haven't researched but suspect it should not be necessary to read the fine print (though one should) if the institution is stating APY as required by law.

I hope they get fu**ed on this.