Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• must be a knock-on effect: my regional bank was down today.
  • Regional bank KRE is showing some damage in the pre-market (-2.7%). It has been rebounding from the May lows.
    https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=KRE&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p21145977994
  • Red across the board this morning !
  • Yes, and a Fed Governor is speaking publicly, saying more rate hikes will likely be necessary. Chilling effect, surely.
  • I would think that much of that concern has been priced in to this point. USB finished in the green.
  • PRESSmUP said:

I would think that much of that concern has been priced in to this point. USB finished in the green.

Same with BHB. But other regionals that I track were in the red today.
  • Thanks, OJ. Makes sense. Despite the macro picture, my regional bank holding's public statements and numbers continue to please me. It's a long-term hold.
  • edited August 2023
    Thank you @Old_Joe for adding this important linked information. Hopefully, we're not headed towards another crazy town scenario with real estate and associated loans.
    ADD: Today, August 8 found many IG bond areas to react more normally to the small sell down in equities; being a yield drop, thus pushing up pricing which = gains in these bond holdings. Also, that some more defensive equity areas as with healthcare found gains today, too.
  • It got my attention when it noted that Capital One is facing a downgrade to Negative in its rating. I have been a Capital One customer for a long time, heavily tied to both my automatic deposit and payment details, and with accounts in Joint checking, savings, and credit card activities. Makes my head hurt just thinking about the disruptions I would experience if this bank is not stable.
  • @dtconroe : Maybe it's time to look for a back-up bank ?
  • edited August 2023
    Moody's downgraded 10 banks (M&T, etc), placed 6 under review (Northern Trust, BoNY/Mellon, etc), and changed the outlook to negative for 11 banks (Capital One is in this category; others are PNC, Ally, etc).
    Moody's concerns are real estate/CRE exposures, deposit flight, debt/card delinquencies. It is more like regional bank industry downgrade. I tried to get details from Moody's site but it requires login.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moodys-downgrades-banks-list-of-downgraded-banks/
  • How would Moody affect credit unions since many people use them instead of banks?
  • While Moody's rates credit unions, I haven't seen reports of similar downgrades.
    Credit unions have simpler models - take deposits, offer CDs, provide auto and home leans, park excess in Treasuries. They don't have CRE exposures. Their membership model is also beneficial mutually.
  • edited August 2023
    Derf said:

@dtconroe : Maybe it's time to look for a back-up bank ?

Maybe so--I do have a credit card account at Bank of America, have used them previously for a checking account, so it would be a logical "replacement" bank option with local branches in Tyler Texas where I now live. It will take time, probably a couple of months, to make changes for Social Security and State of Texas monthly deposits, and it will take a couple of months to make changes in Automatic Monthly drafts for several utility companies, internet and TV companies, monthly insurance draft payments, etc. Very much a pain in the butt, and Bank of America is not as good in managment of the various accounts I have had with them in the past.

• Several banks are close-by and handy to me. I pass them by and use CUs.
  • edited August 2023
    My preference is to use a local institution for checking and direct deposit.
    I'm a member of a locally-based credit union with many nearby branches.
    If any issues arise, I can readily speak to someone in person.

Over the years, I've found that CUs generally offer better terms for loans, credit cards,
    and checking/savings accounts than many brick-and-mortar banks.
    Their customer service is also superior to big banks in my experience.
    My credit union provided a Medallion signature guarantee when I transferred
    a Roth IRA from one institution to another.

Note: I also have an Ally online savings account.
  • edited August 2023
    @Observant1- if I remember correctly Ally was one of the outfits that Moody's growled at. You might want to take a look at that.

Add: Yes, it was mentioned in Yogi's post, above: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moodys-downgrades-banks-list-of-downgraded-banks/
  • @Old_Joe,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into this.
  • Ally was in the 3rd category - outlook changed to negative.

Category 1 - Downgraded now
    Category 2 - Under review, for potential downgrade soon
    Category 3 - Outlook negative, meaning that those may be downgraded at some point in the future (or not).
    Link again, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moodys-downgrades-banks-list-of-downgraded-banks/
  • It seems to me that, by signaling a potential future action, a rating agency can produce a self-fulfilling prophesy. So, if you say Ally may be facing future loss of deposits, you may cause Ally to see deposits rapidly move away, especially non-FDIC covered deposits.
  • My preference is to use a local institution for checking and direct deposit.
    I'm a member of a locally-based credit union with many nearby branches.
    If any issues arise, I can readily speak to someone in person.

Over the years, I've found that CUs generally offer better terms for loans, credit cards,
    and checking/savings accounts than many brick-and-mortar banks.
    Their customer service is also superior to big banks in my experience.
    My credit union provided a Medallion signature guarantee when I transferred
    a Roth IRA from one institution to another.

Note: I also have an Ally online savings account.

Same here. They do banking basics very well and efficiently. They're not out to beat quarterly numbers and 'analyst estimates' or start making tons of money for themselves. I've been a member of my CU since 1995 and for the most part I remain very happy with them.
  • @yogibb said,
    While Moody's rates credit unions, I haven't seen reports of similar downgrades.
    Credit unions have simpler models - take deposits, offer CDs, provide auto and home leans, park excess in Treasuries. They don't have CRE exposures. Their membership model is also beneficial mutually.
    That is the main reason we moved away from Bank of America many years ago. Our local credit union provides everything we needed.