Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

JP Morgan’s Most Prolific Spoofer Sentenced to Two Years in Prison

edited August 2023 in Other Investing
(Originally from Bloomberg)

Excerpt: Gregg Smith was sentenced Tuesday in Chicago by US District Judge Edmond Chang. Smith, who was convicted last year along with Michael Nowak, the bank’s precious-metals desk head, was described by an assistant US attorney as “the most prolific spoofer that the government has prosecuted to date.”

The judge said Smith and Nowak clearly knew what they were doing was wrong. “You told many lies to the market,” Chang said. “For many years, you injected fraud into the market.” He ordered Smith to start his sentence on Jan. 15.

The JPMorgan case is part of a crackdown by federal prosecutors on illegal spoofing, where traders place bogus orders to move prices up or down and then quickly cancel them before they can be executed. Smith and Nowak used the technique to manipulate gold and silver prices from 2008 to 2016.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-08-22-jpmorgans-most-prolific-spoofer-gets-two-years-in-prison/

Comments

• For anyone who has knowledge of sentencing decisions why does Mr. Smith get 5 months to begin has sentence?
  • He spoofed the judge?
  • edited August 2023
    Courts allow few months delays if there are issues with kids, pregnancy, health, sometimes pending appeal, etc.

In famous cases, there were delays in prison terms in the cases of (i) Elizabeth Holmes, (ii) Jesse Jr & Sandi Jackson, who were allowed to be in prison one after another, etc.

Don't know the specifics for the OP case.
  • edited August 2023
    Elizabeth Holmes spoofed the judge for sure. Don't know about Jesse Jr & Sandi Jackson.
  • edited August 2023
    Justice may not always be “blind.” May be other non-judicial factors at play.
  • edited August 2023
    What I often wonder is whether “spoofing” by the likes of JP Morgan, Goldman, Wells, etc. may also occur in the form of the “free” investment advice so generously served up in print or on Bubblevision? … You know - “Buy this”, “Sell that”, “All in,” “All out,” Duck & run” … etc.)
  • That misdead wasn't what Justice Kavanaugh did as an adolescent, was it?
  • With these guys in jail, will my precious mining fund return from the dead?
  • Was that the ZOM-(B) operation?
  • Criminal doinks. Where's the guillotine?
  • BenWP said:

That misdead wasn't what Justice Kavanaugh did as an adolescent, was it?

Huh ??
  • edited August 2023
    Well, he did not do anal or 3-ways as a teen, but he did say ridiculously gross and ambiguous things as a lying prep (in my own prep school we all knew we were going to be in the college class of '69, woohoo), and then he continued to lie about them, and much more, afterward and later.

Amazing to me is that he appears to have turned out to be not a totally totally horrible pig of a judge.