Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

REITS moves in portfolio

edited April 20 in Other Investing
...Looking for the new Real Estate-oriented destination for the PSTL $$$, once I do sell PSTL.
This morning, I'm focused on just 2 prospects, trying to keep it simple, and not lose my shirt.

One is Ryman: RHP.
Per M* it's today at a -6% discount to NAV.
4.2% dividend.
Per Stock Rover: 2.4% of float is Short. Doesn't seem like an awful number.
For 2023, the company reported a blow-out year, utterly amazing profits. Record-breaking.
https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/rhp/quote

Starwood: STWD
Reads like more of a R.E. finance outfit. But they do directly own properties, too.
Per M*: right now priced at -17% discount to NAV.
Div yield = 9.91%, but no raise in div, going back several years.
Per Stock Rover: "Short of Float" =4.9% looks concerning.
https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/stwd/quote
...Just mulling and thinking. No rush.

Comments

• My past REIT investment through OEFs has been spotty at best. So I will try another approach by buying home builders instead given the limited residential home supply. Two builders I am tracking: DHI and BLDR.
  • Sven said:

My past REIT investment through OEFs has been spotty at best. So I will try another approach by buying home builders instead given the limited residential home supply. Two builders I am tracking: DHI and BLDR.

Sounds like a plan. In that direction, I have tracked but never bought the timber-lumber outfit in Canada: West Fraser Timber. WFG. My own OEF attempts to make money in R.E. were just short of disasters. Most assuredly negative experiences. But I just somehow feel the need to keep a finger in that particular pie.
    https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/xnys/wfg/quote
  • Fido has a less volatile real estate hybrid FRIFX (RE equity & fixed income) in addition to all-equity FRESX. Rising rates have hit RE. Benchmark is ETF VNQ.
  • Long time ago, but I got burned enough in REITs to say "never again".
  • We left REIT investment when the interest rates rose. In the past, when the rate was kept artificially low, REIT did ok until recently. We have had success with FRIFX and VNQ. Think Devo covered this topic a year ago. Since the pandemic, the commercial RE market has not fully recovered with many empty buildings in prime real estate. Some smaller towns are recovering more slowly based on our travel experience.
  • bee said:
    I did watch it. That fund has a yield of 0.05%. Not enough for me to be interested.
  • Sven said:

We left REIT investment when the interest rates rose. In the past, when the rate was kept artificially low, REIT did ok until recently. We have had success with FRIFX and VNQ. Think Devo covered this topic a year ago. Since the pandemic, the commercial RE market has not fully recovered with many empty buildings in prime real estate. Some smaller towns are recovering more slowly based on our travel experience.

Yes, of course: higher rates are no good for Real Estate. But before the sector rallies when cuts begin, I'm thinking this is not the time to exit for good. Still have a paper loss with PSTL. Their div. Schedule is end-of-month Feb May Aug Nov. I'm betting it will be worth it for me to hold on until after the May divvie. I'm taking a trip off-island in late May, too. First time off Oahu in 5 years.
  • edited April 22
    Thanks @yogibb and @crash, We sold VNQ awhile back. The small position in FRIFX we had was swapped for short term HY bonds which did much better. For now, we will watch on the sideline.
  • edited April 22
    @yogibearbull

Thanks for the chart. For my own sake, I added RHP to the comparison. Lately, they have all fallen steeply. But RHP wins. My own "Personal Rate of Return" loss in PSTL is not quite -9%. Stinky poopy. I'll take the free money they want to give me in May, then leave. The switch-over from TRP to Schwab was a comedy of errors and screw-ups and waiting and waiting and waiting.
  • Sven said:

Thanks @yogibb and @crash, We sold VNQ awhile back. The small position in FRIFX we had was swapped for short term HY bonds which did much better. For now, we will watch on the sideline.

Yes, my HY bonds have done rather well for me. Duration is about 3 years. Also started a position in the ETF, FALN. What's it done since I got in? It's FALLEN. What else??? Crappy snotty.
  • @Sven, I also like the stock, Builders Firstsource BLDR. I first bought it in 2022 after a positive article in Barrons and it did very well for me. But, I made the mistake of selling it in Dec 2023, the reverse of the Peter Lynch quote, water the flowers, cut the weeds. Big mistake because it took off even more after I sold. In any case, I'm starting to buy back in. It's dropped about 17% since it's March high. Could certainly go lower if we don't get rate cuts this year.
  • edited April 23
    @MikeM, good to hear you had good luck with BLDR. The supply side story on residential construction is still intact. Higher material cost, labor storage, and high interest rates may dampen the demand a bit. We are building small positions in the builders instead of REITs directly.
  • I used to hold FRESX and FRIFX in my portfolio with excellent returns during my period of ownership. Several years ago (before the COVID real estate crash), I sold both funds. Instead, I have much larger holdings in FSDIX, which typically has about 15% of its assets in REITs.
  • A negative development: FSDIX shows a transaction fee at Schwab.
  • @Crash, fyi, all Fidelity and Vanguard funds have a TF at Schwab.
  • MikeM said:

@Crash, fyi, all Fidelity and Vanguard funds have a TF at Schwab.

Thanks!

• Simple reason is that brokers' NTF platforms have fees in 25-50 bps range. Small firms without their own distribution units have no choice but to pay those. Even larger firms like Pimco, American Funs/Capital Group, etc pay those NTF platform fees for some of their funds.

But Fido and Vanguard have their own distribution arms; VG's origin was as a distribution firm, but it has now expanded into index funds and in-house management for some bond funds.. Moreover, several Vanguard funds have ERs lower that 25-50 NTF platform fees. So, it doesn't make sense for Fido and VG to pay for NTF platforms, but brokers can make them available as TF.
  • ok, got it.