Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Borderline Treason: Trump Denies United States Intelligence Findings

edited July 2018 in Off-Topic
Excerpts from a current article in The Wall Street Journal:

"President Donald Trump on Monday publicly questioned U.S. intelligence agencies’ conclusion that Moscow interfered in the 2016 presidential election while standing beside Russian leader Vladimir Putin, saying he “didn’t see any reason why” the finding would be true."

"Mr. Trump also attacked his Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, describing the probe of whether his associates colluded with Russia’s efforts to interfere in the election as a “disaster for our country” that has “kept us apart.” And he continued to blame the U.S., at least in part, for the poor state of relations with Moscow, saying the U.S. had been “foolish.”

"“Our relationship has never been worse than it is now,” Mr. Trump declared. “However, that changed, about four hours ago.” Hours earlier, in a tweet, Mr. Trump blamed the U.S. for the poor state of its relations with Moscow."

Comments

• Awful polite of you to put in the word "borderline."
  • TedTed
    edited July 2018
    Close only counts in horseshoes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :(

• Translation: Russia can do no wrong. By contrast, unfomfortable analysis by career American intelligence & law enforcement experts is not to be trusted and/or demonstrates a 'deep state' conspiracy. This is beyond disgusting on so many levels.

Relatedly, in response to the last question, it was interesting that Putin didn't deny having dirt on Tweety Amin, either.
  • I can't wait for IQ45 to attempt to declare bankruptcy on the hotel and golf course he's hoping to build in Russia. By the way, didn't a number of foreign intelligence agencies also find evidence of Russian interference in the election?
  • ...And the Congress will do..... nothing, in response. Treason for all to see. Jesus.
  • Can you just imagine how the Republicans would have reacted if Obama had said something similar? It would have been immediate impeachment proceedings.
  • edited July 2018
    Old_Joe -- Obama would've been impeached, convicted, and totally moved out of the WH before he landed at Andrews. Heck I'm sure there were some GOP'ers ready to hold hearings about why he wore a tan suit that one time.

I was surprised that Paul Ryan (lame duck twit that he is) was so quick to say Russia isn't our friend. Given his past remarks, he comes across as aloof and out of touch -- "I haven't followed that" or "I'm not familar with..." tends to be his default way of responding to DC news.

After this treason-esque performance, Tweety Amin has no business lambasting pro athletes about 'standing' and 'singing' for the national anthem ... since clearly his loyalties lie elsewhere.
  • What would it take, Ted?

Here's a wrapup for anyone not seeing the traitorous behavior for what it is:

(JHohmann WaPo)

Col. James McDonough, the U.S. Army’s attache to Poland, highlighted “Russia’s Moral Hypocrisy” in a piece for Task and Purpose magazine this spring: “Russian soldiers occupy Moldova, Georgia, and Ukraine in violation of all international norms. Through these occupations Moscow enables the pirate state of Transnistria, enables the backwards ‘independence’ of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, strips Crimea from its internationally recognized sovereign, and feeds the Russian separatist movement in the Donbass. After supporting Libyan leader Mommar Khadafi for years, the Kremlin now backs one of his henchmen, warlord Khalifa Hafter, instead of the Western-backed, and UN-recognized, Government of National Accord, reportedly in exchange for military basing rights in eastern Libya. Further east in Sudan, Russia is exporting arms to the government of Omar al-Bashir whose abysmal record on human rights has left him shunned by more civilized countries. Most alarmingly, Russia has cozied up to Iran, the most significant exporter of terrorism in the Middle East, and Syrian leader, Bashar al-Assad, whose atrocities against his own people are now well known to the world. Russia’s bedfellows reek, and yet Moscow does not mind the smell. And where on the globe has Russian foreign policy been a force for justice and decency? Nothing comes to mind.”
    If you want to go deeper, two recent pieces capture what was until recently a bipartisan consensus:
    “Russia and America Aren't Morally Equivalent. There is no comparison between Russian efforts to undermine elections and American efforts to strengthen them,” by Princeton professor Thomas Melia in the Atlantic.
    “Russia’s nefarious meddling is nothing like democracy assistance,” by Daniel Twining, president of the International Republican Institute, and Kenneth Wollack, president of the National Democratic Institute, in the Washington Post.
  • @Ted: OK Ted, forget "borderline": The president of the United States is a treacherous, treasonous traitor and liar. That clear enough for you?
  • edited July 2018
    he sure is a loose cannon. impeach him now. he sure makes Washington very interesting day by day- circus like.
  • edited July 2018
    @johnN - this is not political bias, it's treason against the US! Even you republicans should be angry and disgusted. Just what will it take to convince you? Your guy is a lying, despicable moron. At least stand up for what's right.

But you don't have to believe what I say. Read it for yourself.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/15/opinion/trump-russia-investigation-putin.html?action=click&module=Trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending

• The Atlantic's James Fallows says it best: 'This Is the Moment of Truth for Republicans'
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/07/moment-of-decision/565289/

Also, I never thought I'd see this headline as an American --
    'Trump sides with Russia against FBI at Helsinki summit'
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44852812
    Mark said:

@johnN - this is not political bias, it's treason against the US! Even you republicans should be angry and disgusted. Just what will it take to convince you? Your guy is a lying, despicable moron. At least stand up for what's right.

• @rforno Wait, there's such a thing as a moment of truth? I've heard of such moments, but thought they were only myths, like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster.
  • @Old_Joe: "OK Ted, forget "borderline": The president of the United States is a treacherous, treasonous traitor and liar. That clear enough for you? " Why didn't you say that in the first place, and stop being a whimp !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :(
  • @Ted: OK, I'll give you that one.
  • edited July 2018
    How do I know he and Mr. P didn’t lay plans to interfere in our next election?
    Doesn’t nearly everyone in our own government (except Trump and maybe Bolton and Pence) acknowledge the Russians tinkered big time with the last one?

And P says he’s a Trump supporter. (Which lends itself to a bad joke: ”With friends like that ... )
  • Brennan is the person who should be tried for treason. He was in the thick of the unmasking scandal.
  • edited July 2018
    Which face is actually tuned in to reality?

One picture is worth...
  • edited July 2018
    @OldJoe,

I disagree with your use of the term “borderline.”

Reason: Just listened to some of the Prez’s remarks on the nightly news. Can you ever remember when a President of the United States stood next to the leader of another nation (adversarial or not) and attacked a fellow U.S. citizen by name? I can’t.
  • Proud of all my MFO brothers and sisters for all these posts. From this day forward EVERY REPUGLICAN is complicit with the treasonous traitor. I don't know any of them to speak to but if I did I would ask in plain language if they will change parties in the morning. RESIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited July 2018
    @hank- Yes, I agree with all of you who have made this observation. It was a (probably misguided) attempt to introduce the subject without appearing to be so emphatic as to start a major political fight on MFO. Or, as Ted so eloquently put it, I was just a wimp.
  • But I am truly confused about this. Is a act treason without such a declaration by Congress even if almost everyone clearly saw the act as treasonous?
  • Isn't treason a high crime and misdemeanor? My son in law,,A West Point grad and Iraq war vet is literally on fire. I have never seen him so upset.
  • @Anna- Not trying to be facetious on this, but facts are facts regardless of what Congress may or may not think. With respect to prosecution for treason however, your are correct: that's up to Congress. And the miserable bunch of sots comprising the current Congress haven't the guts to see or do much of anything.
  • @Old_Joe. the miserable bunch of sots are, in this concern,, are virtually the entirety of the REPUGLICAN party. When the history of this affair is written,,,,the shame is all theirs.please don't lump of all Congress in one bucket. One party may be ineffectual bumblers but the repuglicans are cut from another cloth. No moral equivalency here at all.
  • @larryB, your son's response is the right one, and one that many people share tonight, I sense. I hope he is not literally on fire. How does feel about the bogus Bush runups to Mideast invasions? (not trolling, would like to know his thinking.) But I feel for him as someone who has laid his life on the line and hears this seditious poison from the Con.
  • Just remember, in the next election R may not necessarily stand for Republican.
This discussion has been closed.