Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Only Five T. Rowe Price U.S. Mutual Funds Saw Positive Returns In 2018

FYI: A number of T. Rowe Price Group Inc. mutual funds beat the S&P 500 index during a tough 2018 for the U.S. stock market, but only five provided investors with positive returns.

The total is less than half the number of portfolio managers who beat the index last year. Baltimore-based T. Rowe Price's funds, and the stock market overall, were hit hard by the stock market's dramatic plunge in December.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/02/20/only-five-t-rowe-price-u-s-mutual-funds-saw.html

Comments

• Other than the first fund mentioned, CD's returns would have been higher !
    Derf
  • stoopid paywall. What are the 5? Thanks.
  • PRNHX PRWCX PRWAX PRHSX TRBCX
  • I’d be willing to bet that much of TRPs underperformance was due to foreign stocks. TRP allocation funds, in particular, tend to have higher percentages of holdings in foreign stocks than comparable funds. Their bond funds also had a rough year. I’ve invested part of my portfolio (Roth IRA) with TRP for years, and 2018 was its worst year in performance relative to my investments with other firms.
  • edited February 2019
    (1) Value investing had a poor year in ‘18, following a long period of underperformance. Beginning to look as though that may have been the “blow off” stage of the value cycle as they’re hot so far this year. To some extent in ‘18 you were better off putting on a blindfold and buying indexes than in evaluating companies. To the extent Price favors a value approach and does a lot of due diligence, having done their homework may have hurt their numbers in ‘18.

(2) Another factor - Price tends to be more aggressive with their significant number of allocation funds than others. RPSIX, for example, can hold around 10% in PRFDX (a stock fund). If you compare RPSIX to less aggressive “income” funds during a down year for equities it will lag. Their retirement funds are also known for having glide slopes that keep investors in equities further out than many others. More equities in a down year spells lower return.

(3) Price includes a bit of PRAFX (real assets) in many allocation funds. In fact, PRAFX was first developed for in-house use in their allocation funds and than later offered to the public. Commodities, energy, & real estate were poor places to be in ‘18. However, if this year’s trend continues it will pay investors in real assets for their patience.

At first I couldn’t see commenting on this one. A single year says very little about the quality of a firm. Since some have found it worthwhile, I wanted to add my 2-cents. All that being said, I do like to diversify management risk. As now stands, Price has about 50% with the other 50% divided up among Dodge & Cox, Oppenheimer, and Permenant Portfolio. I’m much more accustomed to fending off criticism of the latter two (especially PRPFX) than I am of T. Rowe. Some day I may have 100% with Price for ease of managing my assets and because of their great customer service.
  • Lots of T. Rowe Price funds made money last year (2018). In addition to the five listed were several bond and allocation funds (and a couple more domestic equity funds). That goes to @Derf 's point that cash and fixed income did better than equity last year.

This is just another column tossing out junk statistics and not even doing its homework. The two other Price equity funds (albeit institutional funds) that had positive returns were: TRLGX (you can get the same manager via HNASX), and TPLGX (likely a clone of TRBCX).

What's the point in saying that fewer than half the managers who beat the S&P 500 did so by more than 4.38% (i.e. had positive returns)? When your manager beats his (or her) benchmark, do you complain that the fund outperformed by only 3%? Do you expect, in a good year or bad year for the market, half the managers who outperform to do so by over 4%? This is silly.
  • edited February 2019
    msf said:

Lots of T. Rowe Price funds made money last year (2018). In addition to the five listed were several bond and allocation funds (and a couple more domestic equity funds). That goes to @Derf 's point that cash and fixed income did better than equity last year.

This is just another column tossing out junk statistics and not even doing its homework. The two other Price equity funds (albeit institutional funds) that had positive returns were: TRLGX (you can get the same manager via HNASX), and TPLGX (likely a clone of TRBCX).

I resemble that remark. Can’t recall seeing my TRBUX (ultra-short bond fund) on that list of 5. Failure to take note of that omission may signal how gravely concerned I am about all this.:)

Thanks @msf for lifting some of the curtain (err ... shroud?) here.
  • If I'm reading my graphs right PRHSX (the only one of the mentioned fund I own) has clawed it's way back from the Dec'18 dump. I'd love to know how many shareholders dumped it and similarly slumping funds.
  • The article could have stated "only five TRP US stock mutual funds saw positive returns" ,to be more specific, but the headline would still be confusing and imprecise.
  • Hey @MSF, thanks for the heads up that HNASX is managed by the same manager as TRLGX. I've been interested in the TRLGX but it has a $1M minimum. Looking to invest in either AKREX, TRBCX, BIAWX or this one for my large cap growth exposure. Any thoughts??
  • @MikeW... Don't be so chintzy. Plunk a couple of mil into TRLGX and forget about it.
  • Old_Joe said:

@MikeW... Don't be so chintzy. Plunk a couple of mil into TRLGX and forget about it.

Hah! I'll throw in some shekels if you will.
  • MikeW said:

Hey @MSF, thanks for the heads up that HNASX is managed by the same manager as TRLGX. I've been interested in the TRLGX but it has a $1M minimum. Looking to invest in either AKREX, TRBCX, BIAWX or this one for my large cap growth exposure. Any thoughts??

No brilliant insights here, I'm afraid. A nice thing about large cap growth is that there are a lot of good funds to choose from. It really depends on personal preference.

For example, all else being equal (which it never is), I try to keep expenses down, especially in large cap, so while many people like AKREX, it's not one on my list. They're all rather concentrated (40+% in top ten holdings) with AKREX "insanely" so (75%). On the other hand, to its credit, AKREX's top ten list isn't filled with all of the usual suspects. As a fund family, I like T. Rowe Price because it usually handles manager succession well.

My personal preferences run toward funds like the Primecap ones - more diversified (though that may mean less upside potential), still low cost, team managed (helps with succession), a bit less "growthy", a tad more international. But that's me. Everybody looks for different things and has different comfort levels and objectives.

• @msf. Thanks for the feedback. Excellent point regarding fees and over concentration at AKREX.
  • fwiw, FBGRX tracks TRBCX closely although its MFOP ratings are not as high.
  • @davidrmoran
    Any reason to invest in this vs TRBCX. THX
  • @MW,

not that I can see, really, unless you dwell on that one given period where it outperforms (barely)

you can always do both just to get the workings of two different minds in approach to LCG; it's not like they're indexes

or add FCNTX and get the workings of three different minds, although surely w lots of overlap, and FCNTX has not done as well recently

I used to chase this kind of catchall OCD, and many here still do, but in retirement I have shed a lot of that impulse toward some of this / some of that / some of the other, and have pared and simplified majorly, or so I claim
  • @davidrmoran. Yes i recall your discussion of that. You have alot in DSENX as I recall for your US equity position. Great fund. Just worry about during downturns.
  • Yeah, DSE_X is becoming our only equity holding, >>50% of everything, and seems to do little worse in drops than IVV, say.

Take a look yourself via MFOP at DSEEX, TRBCX, IVV, and CAPE for the last 5y, their close UI and other measures (IVV notably lagging in growth of course).

You will almost certainly not go wrong w/ TRBCX if you hang in and don't track during slumps. (I may move some DSE_X moneys to it in the next slump, not sure; as I say, I'm trying to fight such excess or at least bootless diversification impulses, to return also to such old faves as YACKX, JABAX, PRBLX, FLPSX, TWEIX, plus some SC.)
  • thanks very much @davidrmoran . I'm looking at balancing my portolio in the following way. Purchasing:
    US large cap growth -- TRBCX
    US large cap core -- PRDGX
    Global large cap growth -- MGGIX
    International small/mid cap -- ARTJX
    and pondering possible EM -- PRIJX
    I'm trying to keep the funds to a manageable number. Feedback is welcome!
  • These all look great (probably --- I did not run them through MFOP, but I bet you have), although I am not a good person to ask. I would do a deep analysis of TRP overlap; maybe you really need only the div one? I would want some or a lot of LCV and use DSENX for that, though some might dispute its classification to an extent. I am not much of a believer in any foreign in terms of whether it really adds value. You already have MC and SC in other holdings? I do salute keeping it as few as feasible.