Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BUY - SELL - OR PONDER February 2020

Hi guys,
You know the drill. I bought a little on Friday......will post later.
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• Thx sir...bought fxi short term holding _ short fuse for sell/stop loss placed
  • Hi guys,
    I did some buying on Friday. Added to FIFNX, FNSTX, FSMEX, MLPFX, PGTAX, ROGSX, and TGJNX.
    I bought Friday due to the drop and hoped for a bounce. But, who knows? This market is crazy....think TESLA. I think on MLPFX that will be my last buy. Oil is just too crazy right now. It could be a value trap. The virus thing with China.....it's all guessing, and all the media hype doesn't help. I still think we go higher this year. After all, we're not at "0" interest rates yet.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • Hi @Puddnhead

What enticed you to choose TGJNX ?

Thank you.
    Catch
  • Hi catch,
    Yeah, have been watching this fund for a while. Finally just held my nose, closed my eyes and hit the buy button. Why? Will say this small, new PM....it's their only fund. AI focused saying all that if you look at top 10, the usual suspects are there. If you look at the annual report, you'll see more. Also high turnover, which is what I want. No big gains up over 3.5%. No love ...... just playing. Young funds tend to do really well first 3 years.....playing that. We'll see.
    I forget.....what tech do you own? I know it's a big part of your portfolio, right? Also I'm like Skeeter. I own more than 1 fund in a sector 'cause I can't pick a winner. I'm thinking it's because of an alcohol-induced thinking disease of some sort.....lol. Lucky I have a brown furry 4-legger as backup......one could say Plan B.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • Buying more TCELX at rock bottom prices. If it goes up in a few years, then I’ll use it to help
    purchase a condo on the Indian River.
  • Hi @Puddnhead

Yes, to the tech. question = FTEC (Fid. Tech.) @30% of portfolio holdings

Although offering a more diversified equity position, I'm not inclined towards SPY or ITOT and such; as there remain too many sectors I don't favor within these holdings.

If the ongoing growth trend persists, I may be inclined to add more; but still in the growth area and U.S. centric with an index such as, FSPGX , for a bit more diversity in equity.

Take care,
    Catch

• @catch22
    "Yes, to the tech. question = FTEC (Fid. Tech.) @30% of portfolio holdings"
    What is this a reference to? Do you catch22 now have 30% in this fund?
    also cant find FTEC but do find FSPTX
    I'm lost as usual
    Gary
  • Hi @Gary

Puddnhead asked me in a post above, "I forget.....what tech do you own?"
    My reply was to that question.

And to your question; yes, 30% of our total portfolio is invested into FTEC.
    I've placed a Fidelity link below for this fund overview.
    FSPTX is also a worthy fund for investing in the tech. sector; as well as many other vendors of tech. funds. As with any funds in sector areas, among the various providers; their performance will drift around over time frames due to changes of the holdings within the funds, when compared to one another. My background was based in technology, so I've always remained aware of this area. The application(s) of the continuing innovations in technology continues to amaze me and has moved much past my own knowledge. But, I attempt to understand the implications.
    And today, there are so many narrow focused tech. investments available; if one chooses to really dig into a particular area.
    Lastly, with many of the broad based U.S. equity funds; one will still have a decent percentage of tech. holdings.

Fidelity FTEC etf

Take care,
    Catch
  • Ahhh so an etf
    Thanks
  • Hi catch,
    Yeah, good fund FTEC. Great move! Ride it out, big guy. FSPTX is new to me even though I play on the Fido platform. Looks good, but I would expect that from you. Fido had a quarterly report today. I don't know if you saw it.

The Dukester overview:
    Late cycle US; EM last 10 yrs has been bad, but we like it now. Germany, Italy, China coming out of slowdown. World trade slow due to China. Slow credit growth in China..... they may not lead. US jobs, housing, consumer ---- all good. The bad: tighter bank loans, IPOs not doing well. Not good for tech. World bonds a buy....commodities, tips, value stocks, EM. a buy
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • Hi Pud,
    I see u bot a bit of FSNTX - good luck - so far so good and keep an eye on it. Hope we have a winner!! Just my 2 cents.
  • Hi Gary,
    Yeah, I think we'll do good as long as the market goes up. I saw on Fido they added more info to the fund page. I like that. Also I own GLFOX in that space. Have for years. Looks like they don't clash too much as far as which countries they invest in.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • I have a one year CD maturing tomorrow...that 2.65% yield was pretty sweet/fortunate for bucket 1 money. Based on recent comments and research, that will be split between IOFAX and SEMPX. These securitized offerings should hold up well if rates remain somewhat stable over the next 12 months or so. These 2 will pair with ZEOIX in equal weight.

• Cutting MPW (REIT) loose after a while to lock in approx 6 years' worth of dividends via cap gains. Will buy it back on any major weakness, though.

Also dropping JBGS (REIT) for a 20% gain as a 2-year trade on Amazon coming to my block.
  • edited February 2020
    Like PRESSmUP, I also had a CD mature last week. Since CD rates are not much better than a MM right now I decided to put 1/2 the money into NHMAX (new holding for me) and leave 1/2 in the MM... for now.

This is a warning to others that hold NHMAX. My purchases have been known to stop up-trends dead in their tracks:)
  • Added vanguard 2045 and vppcx today..one bond matured
  • Added to current holdings of VWAHX and MAAX in taxable account.
  • Bought a lot of TGUSX and some AKRIX. Feels like this market will get frothier before it comes back to earth, but we aren’t at euphoria yet, so I’m just hanging in some high active share funds. ARTNX is supposed to launch soon, may start a position in that to get more value exposure.

Pondering DREGX or WAEMX. I can’t see the attraction to EM or EM value at all, but this makes it a bit more palatable.

• Holy cow. WAEMX at $2.95 per share? Am I totally wrong, or does this carry a whiff of a very risky, "penny stock" sort of item?
  • Shadow, thanks.
  • edited February 2020
    Since, equities have had a strong run during the third and fourth quarters of 2019 I've had to buy in the fixed income area of my portfolio to help maintain balance within my asset allocation. This month, I added to my muni income fund (FLAAX) with it being the best performing fund within my income sleeve year to date with a total return, as of 2/20/2020, of 2.65%. The sleeve's next best year to date performer was LBNDX with a total return of 2.49%. My income sleeve's total return for its rolling twelve month period was found to be listed at 8.25% with its yield, about half that, at 4.13%. The three best performing funds within the sleeve for the rolling 12 month period were LBNDX +10.98%, FLAAX +10.32% and PGBAX +10.06%.
  • edited February 2020
    @Crash

I bought WAEMX before the market tanked in 2008 then sold it for a loss. Waited for some months and bought back into the fund when it was a lot less than $2.95 per share. It has a similar price structure to WAIOX and WAMVX. Keep in mind that WMICX started out the same way.
  • It appears the uptrend from 10/2019 is now over and the market will correct and consolidate for 4-6 weeks in preparation for the next leg up.

A good time for long term investors to deploy any spare cash and buy into funds on down days.

My calculations point to the S&P500 correcting to 3180 +/-10.

I'm also looking at FSPTX and other funds with a significant AI component. The growth in AI will be exponential and reward investors handsomely.
  • Hi guys,
    Sold most of my MLPFX position. Keeping a toe hold. I still think it's a value trap. We'll see. Also sold BHBFX. Have 1 value fund: YAFFX. That's enough. Bought a little FRIFX this week on a down day for REITS then, Friday, added to FIFNX, PGTAX, ROGSX, TGJNX. Will add again next week if they continue to fall.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited February 2020
    Buying more RWMGX in my 403(b) today to capitalize on the market swoon.

• edited February 2020
    lots folks especially near retirement has bailed long time ago. probably best to have 50/50 if near retired/retired
    anyone buying today or next few days once the dust maybe settling down?

• Yup. See my previous post above yours. Will continue to nibble as appropriate
    johnN said:

lots folks especially near retirement has bailed long time ago. probably best to have 50/50 if near retired/retired
    anyone buying today or next few days once the dust maybe settling down?

• gmarceau said:

Bought a lot of TGUSX and some AKRIX. Feels like this market will get frothier before it comes back to earth, but we aren’t at euphoria yet, so I’m just hanging in some high active share funds. ARTNX is supposed to launch soon, may start a position in that to get more value exposure.

Pondering DREGX or WAEMX. I can’t see the attraction to EM or EM value at all, but this makes it a bit more palatable.

You jinxed it!