Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wealthtrack - Weekly Investment Show

Comments

• I would like to know how many active MFO's use a set withdrawal rate plus inflation adder or just take their required RMD's. I'd be of the later group. A simple life style compared to an active , keep up to the Jones . My auto will be do for collector plates in 3 years ! Hopefully the chips arrive in plentiful supplies so I can purchase a new vehicle.
    Stay warm, Derf

• beebee
    edited January 2022
    @Derf,

I have three puddles of retirement income: Roth IRA, T-IRA and HSA. I have pension, but no Social security.

Until 65 I will be contributing to my HSA and managing my income to maximize my ACA (Affordable Care Act) premiums.

From 65 to 72 I plan on managing withdrawals / conversions from my T-IRA to the extent that I can maximize my (15%) tax bracket. At 72 RMDs will start.

RMDs percentages increase each year. Depending on your T-IRA balance, these RMDs could be more than one needs to spend.

Do you find you spend your entire RMD or does some end up puddling in a taxable account?

Here's @yogibearbull's RMD chart:
  • @bee ; "Do you find you spend your entire RMD or does some end up puddling in a taxable account?
    At this time all of the RMD goes into taxable.
    When I retired I left enough in cash to carry RMDs for a number of years. Thus no need to sell any equities in a down market to cover RMD's. That turned out NOT to be the right move as for the last 12 years Mr. Market has done very good !
    We'll see what the next 12 years brings.
    @yogibearbull : thanks for the new RMD table

• Unless I am mistaken, @bee has the 2022 RMD table just as the one @yogibearbull linked above.
  • @Sven, @bee replaced the old table with the new.
  • Got it. Thank you.
  • 1/21/22 Episode:

• Feb. 4, 2022 Episode:

• edited February 2022
    Thank you. Very timely indeed.

Invested in gold (Barrick, a miner) in uncertain time like now. The fund often hold small % of gold.
    Invested in foreign stocks for lower valuation relative to US stocks.
    Concerns about higher interest rate and stagflation as in the 80’s.
  • Feb 12th, 2022 Episode:

• He used the word, "cockamamie." Made me giggle. I listened through. He makes a lotta sense. Tough to be optimistic right about now, though.
  • edited February 2022
    There are many current issues in the U.S. / world which are making investors nervous.
    It's difficult to remain optimistic due to inflation, future rate hikes, COVID-19, potential invasion of Ukraine, etc. However, we have little control over these issues.
    IMHO, it's best for investors to develop a decent plan they can live with and then tune out the noise.
    Of course, this is easier said than done!
  • There are many current issues in the U.S. / world which are making investors nervous.
    It's difficult to remain optimistic due to inflation, future rate hikes, COVID-19, potential invasion of Ukraine, etc. However, we have little control over these issues.
    IMHO, it's best for investors to develop a decent plan they can live with and then tune out the noise.
    Of course, this is easier said than done!

+1. :)
  • edited February 2022
    Delete.
  • Not sure about that @Sven. I think it's a pretty current interview from comments made. He makes reference to "the 10 year treasury being under 2%... been there since last year 2021..." A chart shown on mega cap 8 stocks is dated Feb.4, 2022. This interview may have been done a week ago.
  • Anyhow, yes: one must have a plan, but it must include a readiness to be flexible in the face of new development, new surprises, new shit.

"New shit has come to light." -----Jeffrey Lebowski. (aka "The Dude.")
  • February 19 Episode:
  • beebee
    edited February 2022
    Ed Yardeni mentioned Exoskeleton Technology...very cool!

exoskeleton-and-exosuits-in-the-workplace

eksobionics

top-10-companies-in-exoskeletons-market

A fund like FSMEX may be exposed to this type of Technological Innovation.
  • A chart shown on mega cap 8 stocks is dated Feb.4, 2022. This interview may have been done a week ago.
    @MikeM, you are correct that this interview is likely taken place in last few weeks. I will correct my earlier statement.
  • beebee
    edited March 2022

• beebee
    edited March 2022

• clear, enjoyable. I'm going to be more regularly looking at his Humble Dollar.
  • The Anatomy of a Recession (AOR) program is designed to help you stay on top of the business cycle and provide thoughtful insights through our exclusive risk and recovery dashboards. Updated monthly, AOR offers a concise, practical look at what the key indicators are saying about the United States economy and the potential impact on the equity markets. The data suggests that the economy exited the COVID-19 recession around mid-year 2020. As we move into 2021, investor focus has shifted to the possibility of a double dip recession which is why ClearBridge has re-introduced the Recession Risk dashboard. Click on each tab for a different view of the dashboard data.
    perspectives/anatomy-of-a-recession
  • March 18th Episode:

• edited March 2022
    Mr. Bernstein believes future inflation may be higher than expected.
    According to his observations, many portfolios are not properly positioned for this scenario.
    Mr. Bernstein is very bullish on "conventional" energy.

• "People own what they like. People own portfolios which mirror their view of the world. What if they're WRONG? True diversification means you need to hold some stuff that you DON'T like." Makes a lotta sense.
  • He mentioned financials among pro-inflation assets. Is that because they are able to raise rates on loans? Or what?
  • Basically, yes. Banks can raise lending rates and regional banks benefit from higher mortgage rates in today’s housing market.

Two ETFs were mentioned by Ms. Mack on energy: Energy Select Sector SPDR, XLE and Vanguard Energy, VDE.

Energy is the best performing sector this year. The above ETFs are volatile as well.

The other interview from Jeffery Schulze is also quite informative on inflation when he compares Fed chairman Powell to Volker. Schulze doesn’t see a rate hike-induced recession based on the 12 economic indicators that Clear Bridge uses.