Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Small-caps at all?

13»

Comments

• Small-caps are too volatile for me
    Be careful out there @Crash. Many of the individual stocks, MLPs and sector ETFs I notice you posting lately are at least and often more volatile with greater max drawdowns than say a standard small cap index fund like VB or NAESX. It's a risk reward tradeoff I guess, but individual stocks could be a rough ride (I say from experience:) )

• MikeM said:

Small-caps are too volatile for me
    Be careful out there @Crash. Many of the individual stocks, MLPs and sector ETFs I notice you posting lately are at least and often more volatile with greater max drawdowns than say a standard small cap index fund like VB or NAESX. It's a risk reward tradeoff I guess, but individual stocks could be a rough ride (I say from experience:) )

I appreciate your words. I do post some names that I know I'll never own, just because I'm not independently wealthy. This seems like not a terrible moment to share my current holdings. Some held forever, some new.

BHB has been good to me ever since my initial purchase. It's still less than 4% of total. And ET, too. A bit more than 3% of total. .....After RGR got hammered following the earnings disappointment, I bailed on it. That money went to PSTL. (Only 1+% of total, so far.)

TRAMX is virtually back to "even-steven" for me, since I bought it in the Spring. I added to it. Then it fell. Now, it's rising again. TRP Africa-Middle East.

PRWCX is the biggest chunk. If we're lucky, it may even finish the year in the black.

PRISX is still underwater. TRP Financials.
    PRNEX= still in the red for me, too. The published figures might be positive, YTD. But my timing has been dreadful, as always. TRP Energy.

BRUFX is wife's IRA. Balanced, mostly equities. Not doing badly, rising with everything else, lately.

PRFDX. bought just recently at a good moment. Positive returns, already. TRP Equity Income.

TUHYX. TRP junk bonds. I'm making money with it, now. Bought chunks at deep discounts. (11% of total portfolio.)

Like the Texaco Tiger used to say: "Happy Motoring!"
  • Thanks to everyone for your posts and for your suggestions above. Greatly appreciate it. I spent the weekend analyzing a number of funds and Virtus KAR Small Cap core seems to have the best risk reward stats in the small cap space. It's a Great Owl and also honor roll fund. To me the things that appeal are that it had a MaxDD of 18.3% back in March of 2020 and this year through end of June of that MaxDD was 15.7%. That compares quite favorably to other funds in the space and gives it a low risk rating on Morningstar. Also Beta is only .82. Combine that with top % decile performance in the past 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15 years. I also like the fact that the fund manager has conviction behind his picks with a concentrated fund. At any rate, I plan to purchase the fund. Thanks again for contributing. If anyone else has been following this particular fund, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • @MikeW. $100k to get in?
  • No there is an investor class for the fund. Available no load from Schwab …PKSAX
  • $100 minimum
  • edited August 2022
    Fidelity shows PKSAX as closed to new investors?

EDIT: confirmed that unable to open a new position in it.
  • edited August 2022
    As of the date of this prospectus, only the following investors may make purchases in the Virtus KAR Small-Cap Core Fund and the Virtus KAR Small-Cap Growth Fund:

• Current shareholders of the funds, whether they hold their shares directly or through a financial intermediary, may continue to add to their accounts through the purchase of additional shares and through the reinvestment of dividends and capital gains. Financial intermediaries may continue to purchase shares on behalf of existing shareholders only.

• Exchanges into the funds may only be made by shareholders with an existing account in the funds.

• An investor who has previously entered into a letter of intent with the Distributor prior to the closing date may fulfill the obligation.

• Trustees of the funds, trustees/directors of affiliated open- and closed-end funds, and directors, officers and employees of Virtus, its affiliates, and their family members, may continue to open new accounts.

• New and additional investments may be made through firm or home office discretionary platform models within mutual fund advisory (WRAP) programs and other fee-based programs established with the Distributor prior to July 31, 2018 for Virtus KAR Small-Cap Core Fund and September 28, 2018 for Virtus KAR Small-Cap Growth
    Fund.

• The funds will also remain open to Defined Contribution and Defined Benefit retirement plans and will continue to accept payroll contributions and other types of purchase transactions from both existing and new participants in such plans.
  • @Crash That would have been the Esso/Enco Tiger depending on your location.
  • MrRuffles said:

@Crash That would have been the Esso/Enco Tiger depending on your location.

;)I believe you. I stand corrected.
  • I was able to purchase this in my 401K account. Unfortunately it is not available through Schwab and others
  • I’m with @MikeW in NEAGX/NEAIX. The latter has a TF at Schwab, while the former is NFT with a huge ER. I added to BCSIX recently after selling quite a bit a few months ago. Sticking with DVSMX despite bad slide. BRSVX is a new position, bought in May.
  • @BenWP yes NEAIX is a very interesting one. Sold off a fair amount earlier this year but Great Owl and top decile performer over last 3 and 5 years. It's coming back. I'm also intrigued by BRSVX in small cap value. Held up very well this year.