Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TBO private board - respond to this thread to apply for access to the board

Comments

• edited October 2022
    @David_Snowball, that is typical of most private boards. From other sites that I am familiar with, one would make it semi-public - meaning that title is public in site indexes but viewing of content and/or posting rights be member-only. I don't know if this capability (top level and board level controls) exists at MFO.
  • I would like access to this board - lost a lot of $$ to TBO.
    "hopeful"
  • Hi hopeful - you have access to the private board now! Thank you! Teresa
  • For some reason I am not able to access the full discussion this morning. So I will just go ahead and have my say, hoping it will be visible.
    First, someone asked about the application - I did make a copy. and yes, it does ask for the SSN, so they have our personal information!!!

Then regarding the people involved: We have the name of Darius Carpavicius. One of the checks that I received list the address for HMC Trading as 11010 Lake Grove Blvd in Morrisville, NC, Ste 100-12. When I checked that address on google maps it showed a UPS store.

But then how about other people, like the managers they listed
    Andrew Taubman, CEO, allegedly MBA from Columbia Business school
    David Brown, COO with MBA from Harvard Business School
    David Freedman, Fund manager
    John Olson, FCFO

Are we going to let these men go unpunished, or are these all made up names? Their linked-in profiles disappeared. I wanted to check if these MBAs existed. To get that info you have to contact the National Student Clearing House, but they would only divulge such information to a company, and so I gave up.

Then I have 2 more names: One email to me was signed by Michael Jobs, and on their chat room the support agent was Kris Boac.

This will do for now, I hope it is somehow helpful
  • Requesting access for the private board! My friend was recently a victim of TBO capital group, this is the only place where I have found any info :/ any help or next steps really needed!
  • Hi there, will you please have your friend reach out to us and we can grant them access? Thank you! Teresa
  • Hi!I'm Ken's friend, TBO victim. Can I join the private group?
  • Hi there!! rileywiley - so sorry for your experience! Yes, I will grant you access to the private board right now!!! HANG IN THERE! Teresa
  • Had a very frustrating day with one of my banks - Citizens. But this gave me time to reflect, also read one of the articles about when banks might be liable for fraud. Can we collectively make a case for why Wells Fargo or one of the other recipient banks should have been suspicious of HMC Trading. If so, then we have a chance.
  • Second comment: has anyone looked into the tax situation? Are these losses tax deductible. I sent most of my after tax money to HMC, and now have only IRA funds available, which are taxed upon withdrawal.
  • I sent a funds recall message to TRUIST Bank to recall funds to HMC Trading and i got a response to the effect that there were NO Funds. I believe we can start a joint suit against TRUIST Bank
  • Hi katonghenry - do you need access to the private victims board? Just let us know. We are discussing suits and such as against the banks there. Teresa
  • Hi, guys. I was scammed by that TBO capital/HMC trading LLC too. Provide access to private board please.
  • Hi vadimich - please tell us a little more about yourself, we are very cautious here since we have all been scammed. Please tell us a few more details so we can verify you. The private board is very tightly controlled. Thank you, Teresa Sorry, it is to protect us all.
  • @michaelt- Good job- caution can't hurt.
  • I'm just learning about this scam but, really, from what I've learned from quickly reading the posts here, who would invest in a mutual fund without performing due diligence such as reading M* or official SEC filings? And is this the Private Board or is that somewhere else? And if so, why not post the info previously posted there, here? Perhaps it would be instructive for potential victims.
  • Jim0445 your comment is not helpful at the moment. All the victims are conscious of their mistake. The private group is for victims of this scam to discuss the problems without public shaming.
  • Thanks for the explanation, daniel. I do hope that any "financial helpers" who received any compensation for distributing this "investment" are pursued, convicted and held responsible for the financial losses of victims. And where is the financial press, commercial broadcasting industry, the SEC and state securities regulators?? Transparency just might keep others from falling for future frauds.
  • Hi Jim0445 - do you have any steps you think we should pursue? If this happened to you, what would you do? All of us victims have contacted multiple authorities SEC, FBI etc....

What would you do if you were in our shoes?

Thank you! Teresa
  • Hi @michaelt
    Regarding your reply and questions to Jim0445. He/she may not view this message thread again, to know you've written to he/she. However, if you place a @ symbol at their "name", as I have with you; they should receive an email notice, from your screen name here, directing them to this thread.

NOTE: I am not able to provide any additional actions that all of you have already taken. It seems all of you have discovered the paths you need to use for the authorities, etc.

The very best outcomes to all of you.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Sounds like all of you are doing the best you can do. One thought I have is to ask the victims if they were approached by a sales person (a.k.a. "financial advisor") and collect information about the sales people. Often these sales people prey on innocent seniors in church settings or retirement facilities. So my suggestion would be to assemble contact info on the sales people who are likely culpable. (I would not recommend trying to contact the individual who sold this to you but rather to provide that information to the SEC, the FBI and your state securities division.) The public need to be educated that many sales people have on goal: to separate customers from their money. I will continue to monitor this board and wish everyone the best in a terrible situation. This case illustrates the need for financial literacy education.
  • May I be granted access to the private board. I’m also a victim of this scam.
  • Hi aechacin - will you please provide us a little more information about yourself, thank you! I will also email you directly to speak with you that way. Thank you! Teresa
  • I've been reading posts here referring to the company's address in Morrisville NC as well as Morrisville NY although the zipcode shown for both locations is for Morrisville NC. Is this just another example of the scammer's sloppiness?
  • For Terrsa: I found TBO capital website last June. Their healthcare fund looked good for me, also as their “fake “ team in LinkedLn. I opened account and made 4 wire deposits during next 4 month in total of $55k to HMC trading LLC (website provided wire instructions for HMC TRADING but not for TBO capital - that was a red flag but I wanted to believe that it was real good income opportunity)…last deposit was made in September, they sent me 3 checks with dividends ,all payable). That’s why I trusted them and kept doing additional deposits. On October 4th I tried to open website and check October dividends and found that website is off as well as contact emails and also their phones. That moment I understood that I was robbed and sameday I sent my complaint. to SEC, FBI cybercrime division, FINRA and WELLS FARGO wire claim dep.
  • Here is a link to web archives where we can reconstruct their former website for reference:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121028192927/http://tbocapital.com/about.html
  • THIS IS NOT OUR TBO CAPITAL, BUT THEIR PRECURSOR, A REAL ESTATE GROUP
  • @aechacin Hi aechacin - I just emailed you at your email address, please email me back and we can talk about access to the private TBO victims site. Thank you, Teresa I will wait for your email. :)
  • @vadimich Hi vadimich - I just emailed you at your email address, please email me back and we can talk about access to the private TBO victims site. Thank you, Teresa I will wait for your email.