Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• That is troubling since there more people are using these tax preparation software than the traditional paper form.
  • I used to use TaxAct many years ago, but never again.
  • Thank you.
  • While the article does not say, am I correct in assuming this only happened when using the online versions?

They also don't say if TurboTax was affected. I would assume so.
  • I've used TaxAct for over ten years. I image it is too late to try to save my information.
  • edited November 2022
    That stinks! There must be financial incentive for these software companies to sell your personal information. Just like Amazon and other online stores.

I believe the online version is more susceptible to have all your personal information stored on their servers. The downloaded version may not be any better since the electronic filing of 1040 form would have all these information on it.
  • edited November 2022
    There isn't a hard technical blocker for the non-online versions to do the same thing as the online versions.

This isn't a shocker anymore in an age where data collectors would sell their own family members for a buck.

There's no such thing as a "customer" anymore. We are like the real humans in Matrix 1 -- our "private" data is the battery juice that powers the corporate world.
  • stayCalm said:

There isn't a hard technical blocker for the non-online versions to do the same thing as the online versions
    This isn't a shocker anymore in an age where data collectors would sell their own family members for a buck.
    There's no such thing as a "customer" anymore. We are like the real humans in Matrix 1 -- our "private" data is the battery juice that powers the corporate world.

Truth. And if gov't is supposed to serve and safeguard the people's interests, they are doing a downright scatological job of it.
  • In light of the software makers fail to protect the customer’s private information, what will you do next year when filing your tax return in order to protect your privacy?
  • I'll do what I've always done. I'll send in a paper and ink return.
    Sven said:

In light of the software makers fail to protect the customer’s private information, what will you do next year when filing your tax return in order to protect your privacy?

• @Ben,that what we have done for many years until 2020 pandemic. I understand that paper filing requires an IRS agent to enter your data manually and they are prone to human error. Also you get your refund longer to complete. Some takes over 6 months, presumably they have lengthy returns. We will go back to that route this year.
  • I pay my CPA tax preparer to prepare and submit my tax return electronically, so I'm hopefully not caught up in this Meta malarkey !
  • edited November 2022
    I was just thinking the same thing. But I have no clue as to what particular software our tax preparer uses, and I really doubt that he would be aware if his software was clandestinely reporting to Mark Zuckerberg.
  • Maybe the real answer is to cut out all of the middlemen, just go with the flow and send all of our income information directly to Zuckerberg and let him do the prep work and forward it to the IRS.
  • @Old_Joe

Brilliant suggestion, I love it.
  • Quite right, OJ. Motherlovers! I have a tax guy. I don't try to do that stuff on my own. No way. Hopefully, Kenny is careful. But how will HE know this is going on????? Eh?
  • I have been using https://www.taxhawk.com/ for years.
    Federal filing is always free. State is $14.99, but every year, they have 10% coupon.
    It's simple, but can also do complicate scenarios. You can ask questions, and you get answers within several hours. It remembers the numbers from last year.

When I checked years ago against the big tax software, Taxhawk was easier and cheaper of course.
  • thanks, @FD1000. There are some here, surely, for whom that info. is helpful.
  • @Sven

I would caution folks about paper filing, if you depend on the refund. We are still waiting for my mother's refund from 2020, which had to filed on paper because she passed in early 2021. I am certain they received it. Not only did we send it certified I recently got correspondence from IRS listing Mom as "dcd". But still no refund

While the IRS may process paper returns from living people more quickly, I have heard it still takes months and months

• @sma3, I have been filing paper returns and I have been getting refunds in expected timeframe (several weeks after the filings); for balance due, I use IRS Direct Pay (and that is quick). Your Mom's estate return may have different processing.