Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RMDs and Credit Unions

edited March 2023 in Other Investing
I am just curious why, in the discussions about what to do with one's RMD, there has been little to no mention of using at least some of the available funds as Qualified Charitable Distributions. They can come directly from the RMD amount required and have the advantage of not counting as Ordinary Income for federal income tax purposes. For those investors with "extra cash" goodness knows there are many charitable 501 (c)3 organizations that are always in need of assistance.

Another question that has come to mind: do most MFO correspondents with questions about "where to put our money" just lump 'banks' and 'credit unions' in one large category? It strikes me that credit unions might actually be a good place for investments in certificates of deposits with relatively high interest returns in comparison to many of the large banking systems.

Comments

• @motmot- Unfortunately the "Off-Topic" section is largely overlooked by the great majority of MFO users. Your post would certainly fit well in the "Other Investing" category, where it will get much more attention.

To change the posting category, just "click" the little gear wheel at the upper right of your post, and select "edit".

Always nice to see new folks speaking up here at MFO- welcome.
  • @motmot,

Welcome to the board. Think many folks here may use their brokerage account to park their RMD fund in high yield money market funds (pay over 4%). In contrast, many credit unions and banks pay much less than 4%. My saving account at a credit union pays 0.5%! I keep sufficientl fund to pay the bills, the rest stays at my brokerage.

Also other products such as treasury bills and broker CDs of various duration that pay even higher yields. One year call-protected CDs can be purchased at Fidelity that yield 5.0%.
  • A MFO search on "QCD" shows several mentions. People handle charitable activities in different ways - QCDs, DAFs, direct contributions. Some are completely private about it, and not everyone can afford to do them either.

Credit unions (NCUA insured) are lumped indeed with banks (FDIC insured) as far as insured deposits are concerned. Both FDIC and NCUA are federal agencies, while the SIPC for brokerage insurance is not (it is a nonprofit under federal "supervision"). Most of the discussions here are for easily available brokered CDs that are from banks, not those obtained locally at banks or credit unions. FWIW, my main checking a/c is at a local/regional credit union but its savings and CD rates aren't anything to write home about.
  • At least at Fidelity, QCD is not as seamless as a DAF. There is no online method to transfer the funds.

I have a couple of years to figure it out. Anybody else actually completed the process?
  • edited March 2023
    As I noted elsewhere my local credit union offered a 5+% rate on a 15-month CD with as little as $1,000 about 3 weeks ago. Took a quick look. Gosh, I hold very little cash in any form and what minimal amount is held needs to be fully liquid. I enjoy investing and spread the risk around across diverse assets which in aggregate, I believe, offer better return potential than cash. Am also inclined to lock-in short term gains (at the cost of potentially greater returns) which lowers overall risk. And it certainly helps to have a pension plus SS. So just not into cash - much as I’d like to support my local credit union.

With so little cash it’s not worth my time and effort seeking out the best return. Fido’s SPAXX.works for me - being essentially a store of “dry powder” in case bargains appear. It’s been interesting, educational - and mildly amusing - watching many posters seeking-out the best rates across the banking industry or treasury market for many months now. I understand and respect their reasons, trusting that’s what works for them.

As far as RMDs are concerned, at a much earlier age I converted most of my IRA anssets into Roths. The fact that they require no RMDs was a primary reason for so doing. The remaining smaller traditional IRA requires RMDs, but I typically pull more than required from that every year anyway to supplement expenses - the Roth being reserved for larger purchases / unexpected contingencies..
  • At least at Fidelity, QCD is not as seamless as a DAF. There is no online method to transfer the funds.

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/personal-finance/retirement/qcds-the-basics

Click on "Make a QCD". The pop-up that appears reads:

How do you want to submit your QCD?
    Online          By mail using our form (PDF)
  • "...With so little cash it’s not worth my time and effort seeking out the best return..."

That's where I'm always at, myself, too. So, someone shows me a better CD rate, and I seethe. For a moment. Then I remember it's just not how I operate. @hank
  • edited March 2023
    Crash said:

"...With so little cash it’s not worth my time and effort seeking out the best return..."

That's where I'm always at, myself, too. So, someone shows me a better CD rate, and I seethe. For a moment. Then I remember it's just not how I operate. @hank

I suspect there’s some others here who feel that way as well - to some extent. In fairness, the advantage of having a big cash stash (earning a decent return) is that it allows for taking greater risks in the markets with the remainder and to ride out 3, 4 or 5 year bear markets without having to touch that portion. There’s enough very smart people who invest that way for it to have credence. Some of it depends on one’s particular needs and situation.