Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump Media

Comments

• It's probably worth mentioning; poking fun at an individual and his (or her) actions is not the same as espousing any particular political stance. A person's purported politics should neither be cause for, nor constitute a pass for criticism of his or her personal actions/speech.
  • edited March 30
    Except for the last 10 yrs, Mr T was a democrat his entire life. He does not belong to any party but to himself. What he discovered is that the rich are not powerful; only political leaders are and can get away with anything, and he took an opening where one was available. His ways tell more about us Americans than him. No harm in some good natured comedy about ourselves during a long weekend and a dull market.

Yes, this forum has a political bent but all forums do. But the comedy in this thread is well served and has been clean.
  • BaluBalu said:

Except for the last 10 yrs, Mr T was a democrat his entire life. He does not belong to any party but to himself. What he discovered is that the rich are not powerful; only political leaders are and can get away with anything, and he took an opening where one was available. His ways tell more about us Americans than him. No harm in some good natured comedy about ourselves during a long weekend and a dull market.

Very true ... and very depressing.
  • His ways tell more about us Americans than him.
    How very true @BaluBalu.
  • But on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness..
  • BaluBalu said:

He does not belong to any party but to himself.

This.
    I don't view him as a politician. If he could anoint himself King, he has made clear that he would like to do so. None of our laws should apply to him - he should have total immunity?

Having gone through 6 bankruptcies...SIX!!!!......you have to question whether buying ANYTHING that he is selling would be wise. Be that a business venture, a presidency or common stock (DJT).
  • JD_co said:

[snip]
    Having gone through 6 bankruptcies...SIX!!!!......you have to question whether buying ANYTHING that he is selling would be wise.
    [snip]

Yet, he is touted as being a successful businessman.
    Go figure!
  • edited April 1
    Down 20% today......lol

Unless he's already approved to be selling, they better warn the housekeeping staff at Mer-de-Lardo, since they may be stuck wiping ketchup off the walls by the market close. ;)

Oh, wait - maybe this is why? "...it had a net loss of $58M in 2023 on $4.1M in revenue."

Then this from BBG ... nothing concerning there!!

"Unlike traditional social-media companies that tout metrics like active users or revenue per user, Trump Media “believes that adhering to traditional key performance indicators” could “divert its focus from strategic evaluation with respect to the progress and growth of its business,” according to the prospectus. When regulators inquired about Truth Social’s number of signups and users, the company pushed back, and ultimately disclosed only the signups, filings show"
  • rforno said:

Down 20% today......lol

Oh, wait - maybe this is why? "...it had a net loss of $58M in 2023 on $4.1M in revenue."

When regulators inquired about Truth Social’s number of signups and users, the company pushed back, and ultimately disclosed only the signups, filings show"

So the FMV is roughly....$0 to $1?

• JD_co said:

rforno said:

Down 20% today......lol

When regulators inquired about Truth Social’s number of signups and users, the company pushed back, and ultimately disclosed only the signups, filings show"

So the FMV is roughly....$0 to $1?

I'd go with the lower end of that range. As I joked with the one FS broker I still have the other day, "I wouldn't touch this stock with YOUR money..."
  • Touch it?! I wouldn't get within a thousand miles of it.
  • DJT -"Digital World Acquisition Corp. does not have significant operations. The company focuses on effecting a merger, capital stock exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, reorganization, or related business combination with one or more businesses. It intends to identify on technology-focused companies in the SaaS and technology, or fintech and financial services sector in the Americas. The company was incorporated in 2020 and is based in Miami, Florida." (Company description on Fidelity website quote page)

Maybe they should try the 'thoughts and prayers' approach.
  • That is what a SPAC is. It's a blank-check company that raised money first, then has 2 years to look for suitable acquisitions, and if not successful, just return that money to shareholders.

Even the rich and famous Bill Ackman failed to find a suitable acquisition for its grandiose SPAC - or, he came up with a very twisted and complex ideas that were rejected by the regulators, and then the time ran out.

There is a popular fund here (manager DS) that bets on many SPACs not succeeding in their acquisition attempts. So, these funds invest in SPACs at some discounts ahead of their termination dates and then get 100%, a safe return from a rather unsafe vehicle.
  • Morningstar's fair market value (Q) on the stock is ... $94.96 / share.
  • Seems more like an unfair market value.
  • Yeah. If the fair market value of the stock is really 94.96 wouldn’t many value fund managers be lining up to buy shares at today’s price? OR. HAS MORNINGSTAR GONE MAGASTAR?
  • Morningstar's fair market value (Q) on the stock is ... $94.96 / share.

Seriously? That 'Q' must stand for 'Quack' or the infamous 'Q-Anon' metric. That's insane...

• And here I thought that the "fair market value" was whatever number the market actually placed on a listed "security", or maybe the guesstimate value that the market would likely place on a security if it wasn't actually for sale, but were to be offered.
  • edited April 1

Morningstar's fair market value (Q) on the stock is ... $94.96 / share.

I hope M* gets sued for the nonsense they have been peddling in the name of Q, just to teach them a lesson.

On a separate but related note, what most Americans do not know is that T is Q. Because T can not be present everywhere, all the time, the mysterious Q (the alter ego of T) was created to keep the pronouncements flowing.

• edited April 1
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet it's somehow related to this: Q Ratio

If correct then I think they are still nuts.
  • You're probably right on both counts.
  • edited April 2
    Q!!! Not again... what the hell do you want this time ???
  • Old_Joe said:

Q!!! Not again... what the hell do you want this time ???

[Patrick Stewart voice]: "DAMMIT, Q!"

... but at least he's the chaotic good Q, anyway.

• Q must be up to his old tricks again, because DJT is up today while all the other numbers on my screen have turned a deep RED. Each and (almost) every day for months now, they had appeared GREEN.

His powers are mystifying.
  • edited April 2
    Lawsuits filed.
    The media company that Donald Trump recently took public is suing its co-founders, accusing them of failing “spectacularly” to get the company off the ground and then trying to “thwart the deal.”

The lawsuit filed in Sarasota County, Florida, civil court seeks to bar Trump Media & Technology Group co-founders Wesley Moss and Andrew Litinsky from appointing members to the company’s board — or from owning any of its shares.

[snip]

Moss and Litinsky failed “at every turn,” Trump Media alleges of the two men, both former contestants on Trump’s former reality TV show “The Apprentice.”
    Are we sure this isn't a pilot episode for a new TV show?
  • You can’t make this shit up!
  • "Q must be up to his old tricks again"

Sounds right to me.:)
  • [in a Frank Burns whiny voice throwing a tantrum]

"NoNoNoNoNoNo, they're MY shares, MINE!!"