Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Post your migration problems and questions here

2»

Comments

• Does the members online feature still function? I am not seeing this anymore. Have I over looked something?
  • Accipiter said:

DavidV said:

It is not a migration issue as I experienced the same problem before the upgrade.
    The Great Owls Funds are not shown in IE 11 browser.
    At the end of the page I see a message "Your browser won’t work with iframes".
    Is it possible to fix that by configuring IE11?

I don't use ie11 chip may have an idea.

I did see this on the web. It may help.

Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --> Internet Zone --> Custom Level --> Miscellaneous --> Launch programs and files in an IFRAME.

I tried this in IE11 and I can't get it to work, even with changing the Security settings. The request just times out.

Charles did warn that the page is optimized to work with Chrome. Unfortunately, for now, you'll have to use Chrome to access it, or just download the .pdf version. I'm sorry for that inconvenience.

• chip said:

Charles did warn that the page is optimized to work with Chrome. Unfortunately, for now, you'll have to use Chrome to access it, or just download the .pdf version. I'm sorry for that inconvenience.

Chip, try putting a P3P compact policy header in the HTML source of the iFrame AND make sure the Content Type of both the iFrame source and the enclosing page are identical. This solves a lot of problems with IE when using iFrames.
  • I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't locate where.

I am using Firefox 27.0.1 which is the most recent version. On the "Mutual Fund Observer Discussions" main page, yesterday I was able to see where there were new posts because the subject was not "gray" in color. It was white. When I would click on it and come to back to a new post, the one I was just at became gray in color. However, once in the post (link), in no case was I able to determine the new comments (posts) that I did not read. In the old forum I was able to see by the yellow dot next to the post.

Today, I am able to see the the posts that are marked "new" and highlighted in yellow. I am also able to tell where there are new posts, again, because the subject is not "gray" in color. It is white. However, once in the link, I still cannot tell the new posts, because there is still no yellow dot like in the old forum.

As an example, I looked at Ted's post "Scott Burns: The Stealth Taxon Retiree Income". I also see 1 comment, which is Anna's. But, I only know what time she posted. Maybe this is not a good example because there at this time there is only one comment to Ted's post, but if there were 10 comments, I would have no idea which ones I already read.

I hope I am making some sense.

Mona

• edited February 2014
    @mona -

I know what you mean about yellow icons. The old code is incompatible and will not be rewritten.

see next comment....
  • @mona -

do you realize that your browser will take you to the first comment that you have not read, when you click on a discussion that has new comments.

does that help?
  • edited February 2014
    @chip and everyone.

Is the view count on the right on this link ok

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss
    linter said:

chip said:

I've changed the font settings, so that the discussion board will use the default sans-serif font for whatever browser you're using. Please let me know if that helps.

perfecto. now the only job left for you is to exchange the positions of views and comments:-)
    perhaps.
    linter said:

chip said:

oh, and one more thing, ha ha: used to be when you hovered over the title of a thread, you'd get a preview of the thread's first line. i don't get than anymore. and i miss it very much. can we get it back or is it (another) personal failing of mine?

as

Linter, if you hover over the "owl" to the left of the title, you will see what you are looking for. Discovered this by accident.

also you may notice the white arrow with a blue box that appears on the left as you scroll down the page, if you haven't realized you can click on the arrow and it takes you to the top of the page.
  • Accipiter said:

@mona -

do you realize that your browser will take you to the first comment that you have not read, when you click on a discussion that has new comments.

does that help?

I did not before! Thanks.

Mona

• edited February 2014
    It's certainly an attractive site. I don't understand why there's no "reply to" option? We already lost a lot of spontaneity and give & take when we migrated from the old FA board. This non-feature furthers that. Example - I wanted to tell VF he's right on: The article about "go anywhere funds" is sketchy at best and makes no sense to me either. But, guess I can't reply to him directly. Sure I can put it further down as a separate comment, but that's not the same IMHO.

Also, is there no "edit" function? Looks like Ted screwed up the company's name in the Franklin Templeton post. He's unable to edit it? Oops --- figured out the edit function on my own. Maybe some clearer and more explicit instructions for all concerned would help?
  • edited February 2014
    hank said:

It's certainly an attractive site. I don't understand why there's no "reply to" option? We already lost a lot of spontaneity and give & take when we migrated from the old FA board. This non-feature furthers that. Example - I wanted to tell VF he's right on: The article about "go anywhere funds" is sketchy at best and makes no sense to me either. But, guess I can't reply to him directly. Sure I can put it further down as a separate comment, but that's not the same IMHO.

there is no-reply - it simply will not work in this version of software. - so that's the end of that.
    all comments are in chronological order.

you can use the quote button in the lower left. Click the quote button on the comment you want to reply to. But if you put the person's name in the comment, its not that hard to refer to it.

Adaptation?
    hank said:

Also, is there no edit function? Looks like Ted screwed up the company's name in the Franklin Templeton post. He's unable to edit it?

But, there is an edit button, in the object that looks like a gear in the upper right of each discussion, it should have a drop-down for editing.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Does the members online feature still function? I am not seeing this anymore. Have I over looked something?

I added whos online. if it proves to create problems with performance, we might not to disable, but it seems to be ok so far, fingers crossed.
  • edited February 2014
    I was curious as to what "UnRead" might do- it seems to bring up a restricted category of communication/commentary I would guess is used for site developmental work.

Not sure if you guys were aware of this.

Great job on the new site setup. Got really scared a while back when you-know-who severely annoyed Accipiter...

Regards- OJ

Edit/Add: I'm still fooling around and trying all the buttons and gadgets. Somehow on the discussions page I caused a gear wheel to appear on the other "announcement" post, and clicking on it offered a "dismiss" option. I tried that, just to see what might happen, and sure enough the entire post "went away". Not sure how to get it back, if possible. Oddly, can't seem to make that gear wheel appear again, at least at this time.

OJ
  • When I try to sign in, I get taken to a "Page not found" screen. This probably maintains the quality of the discussion board, so maybe it's all for the best.
    When I then click on discussions and the topic to which I wanted to add my invaluable insight, I eventually get to scroll to the end where the box awaits my deathless prose. It is more awkward. I'm using IE8 (I think).
  • edited February 2014
    Old_Joe said:

I was curious as to what "UnRead" might do- it seems to bring up a restricted category of communication/commentary I would guess is used for site developmental work.

Hey OJ---

If you are logged in:
    "UnRead" - if you click takes you to discussions you have not completely read.
    Read a discussion and then click "Unread" and you will see the discussion you just read is not on the list

But, if you use "Mark All viewed" it does not count those discussions as read when clicking on the "UnRead" option in the menu. There is no easy way to change the behavior. So I could remove "UnRead" from the menu if it is too confusing. Probably depends on what people think - remove or not!

(because you read it:) ).
    Old_Joe said:

Edit/Add: I'm still fooling around and trying all the buttons and gadgets. Somehow on the discussions page I caused a gear wheel to appear on the other "announcement" post, and clicking on it offered a "dismiss" option.
    I tried that, just to see what might happen, and sure enough the entire post "went away". Not sure how to get it back, if possible. Oddly, can't seem to make that gear wheel appear again, at least at this time.
    OJ

Dismiss - is a way to signify that you've read the announcement and no longer want it in the top most position and it will just float along as every discussion (new comments will cause it to rise to the top by date and time of last comment). In summary, dismissing an Announcement removes the "stickiness" and makes the announcement work like a typical discussion (rising and falling depending on last comment time and date). Once you dismiss something, you can't undismiss it.

You can also click on the x -

"in the If this is your first time viewing the New site. Please logout and login again. You will only have to do this once" and it will close that message while viewing pages.

I guess the Head Documentation writer needs to know all:)
  • edited February 2014
    STB65 said:

When I try to sign in, I get taken to a "Page not found" screen. This probably maintains the quality of the discussion board, so maybe it's all for the best.
    When I then click on discussions and the topic to which I wanted to add my invaluable insight, I eventually get to scroll to the end where the box awaits my deathless prose. It is more awkward. I'm using IE8 (I think).

set your bookmark to this for the discussion board.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss

and then try to sign in. I haven't used IE for years, it had too many bugs and switched to firefox and google chrome.

Firefox and google chrome. are far superior to IE8, if you can't upgrade to the latest version of IE.
    so I can't help you with IE questions.

and set your bookmark for the main home page to this

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com
    STB65 said:

When I then click on discussions and the topic to which I wanted to add my invaluable insight, I eventually get to scroll to the end where the box awaits my deathless prose. It is more awkward.

If you want to start a new discussion - there is a button to start new discussion in the top left corner.

If you want to start a new comment to an existing discussion and you are not at the bottom of the page and you don't want to scroll. Just click the "End" on your keyboard.

on your keypad the following keys can be used for navaigation on any web page :

• Page down - part way down page

• Page Up - part way up page

• Home - Top of page

• End - bottom of page

• I too cannot find an EDIT function. I don't even get the gear, except on the "we are here...." announcement, and it does not have an EDIT option.
  • edited February 2014
    @mcmarasco

here is a snapshot image of where the gear to edit your comment should be.

do you see a gear in the comment above when you move your mouse into your comment above.

• thanks for putting the comments first!!!!!
  • edited February 2014
    moved this comment and response to the appropriate place.
    STB65
    February 25
    The suggested solution led to the same result: "Page not found", go to the title on discussions, scroll down, find the box for my comment.
    I can live with it; will probably limit some inane posts; don't see this becoming a commercially viable site with this glitch.

@STB65

post the link you are trying to use that gives you page not found.

Can you explain in detail what you are clicking and what you are doing and what you are having problems with.

If you read a discussion to the end - you make a comment. Generally it is a good idea to read a discussion thread before commenting so you know wha tis discussed.
    The comment posting box is at the bottom near the last chronological post.
    If you have previously read a discussion and someone adds a comment that is new to you. Your browser should take you to the first comment that is new to you.

Not sure why that is difficult. If you want to quote a specific comment click on the quote at the lower left of the comment.
  • Hey, guys, thanks for the great work.

Is it no longer possible to edit posts, or post a reply right below another community-member's contributions?

Thanks again !
  • edited February 2014
    Okay..........one starts a comment or replies and has use of the action headers just above this text area. One can then perform the bold or imbed a URL within their own wording or the other choices.
    However, when performing an "edit" of a comment; the "action headers" are no longer a choice for those functions.

I will presume everyone sees this, as I do.

Is this how this area will continue to function going forward?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Regards,
    Catch

• edited February 2014
    the "ButtonBar"
    catch22 said:

Okay..........one starts a comment or replies and has use of the action headers just above this text area.

@catch22

this is the ButtonBar. The Buttonbar does not appear when editing posts (it is a bug). At some point the developers of the forum software are going to update and fix this issue. but at this point it is something to live with. Perhaps the summer, there will be a new buttonbar and editor available.

• Hey, guys, thanks for the great work.

Is it no longer possible to edit posts, or post a reply right below another community-member's contributions?

Thanks again !

please read the comments in this thread.

yes, you can edit posts.

yes, there is no reply-to, all comments in chronological order.

see this announcement by chip on the latest features.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/11485/here-we-are
  • chip said:

We'll try to monitor this thread closely.

The change is awful. I don't know where to begin. I use Firefox and nothing works.

• edited March 2014
    The change is awful. I don't know where to begin. I use Firefox and nothing works.
    I understand that you are frustrated, but your complaint is incredibly unhelpful. Would you take your vehicle for service and simply say "nothing works" and expect a reasonable response?

Take a look at the other 54 comments in this thread alone. Take a look at the great number of users who are happily posting stuff. Do you see any other comments anything like yours? No? Then maybe the "change isn't awful" after all. Maybe the problem is something on your end. If you expect the technical volunteers at MFO to spend their valuable time to try to help you, how about a little effort and common sense at your end?

This response to you is using a Firefox variant.

Get a grip!
  • Definitely check your end BWG. If you use any Firefox plug-ins, they might be the source of your problems. Something to look at and then come back with some specifics as Old Joe said.
  • edited March 2014
    DavidV said:
    The Great Owls Funds are not shown in IE 11 browser.
    OK, think it's fixed now. Thanks to help from Chip.

Still slow compared to Chrome, but it works.

Take a look:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/great_owl-spreadheets/GO_4Q.php

So, at the heart of this utility is the free and collaborative Google Sheet (a spreadsheet program like Mircosoft's Excel) and attendant visualization routine.

For some reason, in the IE upgrade, it started prompting requestors of the Google Sheet link to sign-in to their Google account. But nothing was showing up on screen, so the request just timed out.

The fix was to change the privilege setting on the file and then clean-up a formatting incompatibility.

I suspect that Google and Microsoft do not play well together.

Anyway, think it's working now.

Charles
  • I accidentally clicked on "Mark All Viewed." How do I undo this?
  • You don't. Now you're going to have to remember what you've read. Good luck on that...

:-)