Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

Added a bit to GAINX. Added STWD (Starwood Property Trust.) Added a little to Blackstone (BX). Added a little to Vermilion Energy (VET).

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Hello,

Since my last update of June 22nd I have opened a position in BWLAX in the growth area, large/mid cap sleeve, making this fund number fifty two within my portfolio and the sixth member within its sleeve.

I have linked below both its fact sheet along with its Morningstar report for those that might be interested in taking a look. The fund currently has a TTM P/E Ratio of 13.7 with a year-to-date return of about 8.0% as I write. This fund seems to follow a deep discount theme. In comparison, a S&P 500 Index fund that I track has a TTM P/E Ratio of 18.2 with a year-to-date return of 7.0%. This makes the index fund a more expensive choice based upon their earnings ratios.

http://www.aafunds.com/downloads/factsheets/YAFC-FCT-1.pdf

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=BWLAX&region=USA

In addition, I have added a little to one of my multi sector income funds TSIAX in moving towards its phase three build out.

I wish all … “Good Investing.”

Old_Skeet
  • Added to HP (Helmerich & Payne), added to MAPIX. Started positions in AMBA and ESV. Added a little bit to GPEOX.
  • I'm tracking CM for the past several months. "CIBC." Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. They surprised to the upside lately with earnings and boosted the dividend a bit. Opinions on whether this would be a decent long-term holding? Shares are pricey right about now.
  • I hate these threads but then always seem to bite. Down to 20% from 100% in NHMRX. Have some smallish positions looking to increase if price cooperates in DLENX (should have been much heavier there by now) BEXFX, and DODWX - albeit the latter two are on a very short leash. And have a groupthink fund (that is not meant in a pejorative manner) RSIVX.
  • Crash said:

I'm tracking CM for the past several months. "CIBC." Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. They surprised to the upside lately with earnings and boosted the dividend a bit. Opinions on whether this would be a decent long-term holding? Shares are pricey right about now.

I get concerned about the Canadian housing market, which remains one of the most expensive on the planet. If you watch many of the shows ("Love It Or List It", etc.) on HGTV, they're produced in Canada. They lead couples into these often older and/or more basic/dated properties and that would be fine until they go, "Well, this is selling for $800,000."

The Canadian housing market can stay irrational for longer than I can think. I've thought a lot about Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS), which is a more international Canadian bank, but just haven't. Long-term? Probably fine, but I just look at these Canadian houses and think if that turns it's going to be interesting.

I own Canadian Apartment Properties (CDPYF.PK), which hasn't done terribly well, but it's very reasonably valued and just keep collecting the nice monthly div. I just think the sheer cost of Canadian housing is going to keep people renting and if the market turns, people are going to turn to renting.
  • My only even slightly significant move lately was out of munis (VWALX), with the $ going mostly into existing accounts in multi-bonds PIMIX and RNDLX. In stocks, added to FMIJX and opened small starter/test positions in PGRNX and PAFSX.
  • edited July 2014
    Pondering getting more defensive.

Thinking of replacing all my FCPVX with PVFIX.

Thinking of selling my TGBAX in a taxable account and replacing it with DODLX in my Roth.

Wondering if I should buy more FMLSX or instead some ARLSX or RGHVX.

Recently added RSEMX. Bought some more AQMNX.
  • scott said:

Crash said:

I'm tracking CM for the past several months. "CIBC." Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. They surprised to the upside lately with earnings and boosted the dividend a bit. Opinions on whether this would be a decent long-term holding? Shares are pricey right about now.

I get concerned about the Canadian housing market, which remains one of the most expensive on the planet. If you watch many of the shows ("Love It Or List It", etc.) on HGTV, they're produced in Canada. They lead couples into these often older and/or more basic/dated properties and that would be fine until they go, "Well, this is selling for $800,000."

The Canadian housing market can stay irrational for longer than I can think. I've thought a lot about Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS), which is a more international Canadian bank, but just haven't. Long-term? Probably fine, but I just look at these Canadian houses and think if that turns it's going to be interesting.

I own Canadian Apartment Properties (CDPYF.PK), which hasn't done terribly well, but it's very reasonably valued and just keep collecting the nice monthly div. I just think the sheer cost of Canadian housing is going to keep people renting and if the market turns, people are going to turn to renting.
    ......I hear you. And I'm also aware that Canadians do not get any tax break on mortgage interest paid. You want a house? Fine. But the government is not going to subsidize it."
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hello,

Since my last update of June 22nd I have opened a position in BWLAX in the growth area, large/mid cap sleeve, making this fund number fifty two within my portfolio and the sixth member within its sleeve.

Holy Cow - I thought I had a lot of funds at 21 total.

Tim
  • 27 here, but who's counting? Not anticipating any more!
  • BWG
    edited July 2014
    Added to Oaktree (OAK). Considering the following Canadian companies:
    Onex (Private Equity)
    Dundee (Holding Co.)
    Dream Unlimited (REOC) and
    Boardwalk REIT

Also, pondering MONIF.

Would appreciated comments from others on any of these names.

GLTA
  • (Ya, I'm holding 13, and that feels like too many funds.)
  • BWG
    edited July 2014
    Crash said:

GTLA?

Should have been GLTA - Good luck to all. Now corrected.
  • Picked up some AAPL after the split. I like the future for this company. HealthKit, wearables, iBeacon, and the new iPhone.

Tim Cook has established himself well as the CEO after the passing of Steve Jobs.
  • Added to DSEEX ( thanks for the initial heads up davidrmoran ) and to SFGIX ( thanks for the initial heads up to David Snowball. Researching small cap Permian producers.
  • edited July 2014
    BWG said:

Onex (Private Equity)
    Dundee (Holding Co.)
    Boardwalk REIT

Also, pondering MONIF.

GLTA

I like Oaktree and have been adding a bit in the upper $40's. It is a long-term holding.

I'm not familiar with Onex, but Dundee, Dream and Boardwalk (I own CapREIT instead of Boardwalk, but Boardwalk is a good company) are all solid choices.

I've owned Monitise a few times. Once I did well, once I didn't and the last time was very brief about a month or so ago and was out flat. I think the company has potential still, but the change in business model recently really has caused expectations to be re-set lower - the stock's down about half since the high earlier this year and was down 20+% a day or two ago after earnings were disappointing. It's definitely a volatile stock.

The new co-CEO situation looked promising, but the stock gained no traction on the news. You have Visa (Visa Europe and Visa owning around a combined 11-12%), Mastercard (small investment) as investors and Omega (Leon Cooperman's hedge fund) owning over 10%. Capital Research (the American Funds) now appearing as large shareholder with almost 3%. Doug Kass is also highly bullish on Monitise.

That said, stock is down nearly 10% again this morning. I still think the story eventually ends well for Monitise, but the journey now appears longer (a lot longer, perhaps?) than expected. I'm not looking to get back into it (getting in at this point at probably around 75 cents or wherever it opens this morning may be work out great, who knows, but I'm just not looking for another go-around with it) and instead just focusing on things that are less speculative/ long-term holdings - FIS (and I'd consider FISV too, if it paid a dividend), V, MA and AXP.

Cooperman is apparently going to be on CNBC's "Delivering Alpha" next week and I'd guess he will try to talk up the company. While CNBC's ratings are in decline, if he does talk up Monitise, that will likely be good for a move higher but it becomes whether or not that move is sustainable.
  • Thanks Junkster re: your thoughts about NHMRX (as well as your other comments, as usual.)
  • JimH, will be all in cash sooner than later if this keeps up. I haven't liked stocks all year and then just recently start dabbling in two equity funds???? If that is not the sign of a top (when bears throw in the towel) I don't know what is. Luckily I had NHMRX this year albeit after today may be completely out of that one. Today the junk ETFs are getting hit a bit. They have been very resilient during past selloffs and Katy Bar The Door for everything if junk bonds finally turn. I watch my drawdown more than anything and still a tad under 1% in my entire account and won't let it get above 1.25% (if that) before 100% back in cash. Good luck.
  • FWIW, here is a relatively recent and long article on Onex.
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-06-26/gerry-schwartzs-private-equity-firm-onex-thrives-in-the-shadows
    scott said:

BWG said:

Onex (Private Equity)
    Dundee (Holding Co.)
    Boardwalk REIT

Also, pondering MONIF.

GLTA

I like Oaktree and have been adding a bit in the upper $40's. It is a long-term holding.

I'm not familiar with Onex, but Dundee, Dream and Boardwalk (I own CapREIT instead of Boardwalk, but Boardwalk is a good company) are all solid choices.

I've owned Monitise a few times. Once I did well, once I didn't and the last time was very brief about a month or so ago and was out flat. I think the company has potential still, but the change in business model recently really has caused expectations to be re-set lower - the stock's down about half since the high earlier this year and was down 20+% a day or two ago after earnings were disappointing. It's definitely a volatile stock.

The new co-CEO situation looked promising, but the stock gained no traction on the news. You have Visa (Visa Europe and Visa owning around a combined 11-12%), Mastercard (small investment) as investors and Omega (Leon Cooperman's hedge fund) owning over 10%. Capital Research (the American Funds) now appearing as large shareholder with almost 3%. Doug Kass is also highly bullish on Monitise.

That said, stock is down nearly 10% again this morning. I still think the story eventually ends well for Monitise, but the journey now appears longer (a lot longer, perhaps?) than expected. I'm not looking to get back into it (getting in at this point at probably around 75 cents or wherever it opens this morning may be work out great, who knows, but I'm just not looking for another go-around with it) and instead just focusing on things that are less speculative/ long-term holdings - FIS (and I'd consider FISV too, if it paid a dividend), V, MA and AXP.

Cooperman is apparently going to be on CNBC's "Delivering Alpha" next week and I'd guess he will try to talk up the company. While CNBC's ratings are in decline, if he does talk up Monitise, that will likely be good for a move higher but it becomes whether or not that move is sustainable.
  • edited July 2014

Added to DSEEX ( thanks for the initial heads up davidrmoran ) and to SFGIX ( thanks for the initial heads up to David Snowball. Researching small cap Permian producers.

Glad you mentioned the ticker, MS; I'd forgotten that Dbl I shares can be had with a low minimum ($5k) in IRAs.
  • Over last few weeks I have moved my momentum portfolio to (XLU, VNQ, XLV, XLE, HDV)
    Was always in XLV, added more HDV, XLU, XLE, dropped DFE.