Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

 On The Cusp of A New Era of Innovation.

With all the news of late about cars and watches, it does seem that Apple is indeed innovating. Now we know why they removed the word "Computer" from the company's title.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/02/could-apple-be-on-the-cusp-of-a-new-era-of-remarkable-innovation.html

Comments

• Wish I had $$$ to put in AAPL while I watched it in November, 1999 at $3.30 per share. Any of you who are AAPL "lifers" have really cleaned up in a big way.
  • I'm sure there are millions who think that everyday, including me. I had thought about buying AAPL when it was $21.00.

I kick myself every time I think about that, including right now.
  • Years and years ago my Mom, who was a teacher, tried to convince my Dad to buy Apple because all the computers in schools were from them. My Dad bought an original Macintosh in the mid-1980s as our first computer but he refused to buy the stock and my Mom still gives him sh*t about it to this day.
  • Just might hit $130 today.
  • And that's after the big stock-split a little while ago. !!!
  • edited February 2015

Just might hit $130 today.

Past that. I think the hints of a move into cars has sparked interest again from people interested in what may be Apple's next product, even if details haven't been really revealed and the ultimate product may be a few years into the future.

In other words, the idea that Apple may have something major up its sleeve has sent the stock noticeably higher after a few years of people complaining that they'd stopped innovating.
  • Just woke up here to see it hit $133. I am surprised but I shouldn't be.
  • The idea of an Apple car isn't new, I recall such rumors dating back to the 2012/2013 time period.

Apple's pps this year reminds me of the time after their hugely successful earnings report of Jan. 2012 which sent the stock soaring to new highs seemingly every day, kinda like now. Everyone was talking about Apple, kinda like now. When Apple announced their new line of iPhones in Sept. 2012, the stock crashed. With Apple expanding their reach in China, as well as the introduction of the watch and ApplePay, hopefully the latter part of 2015 won't repeat the latter part of 2012 and 2013.

Also, after the 7 for 1 stock split last year, the pps is no longer $600+, which could keep retail investors coming back for more...
  • PopTart said:

Also, after the 7 for 1 stock split last year, the pps is no longer $600+, which could keep retail investors coming back for more...

Retail reaction to the Visa split next month may be interesting, as well.
  • I will bet a dollar to a donut that the split was exactly set to achieve that lower price below $100. That would attract new investors even though the math works out the same. It is easier to buy a $100 stock vs a $600 stock. It got me as I bought it as it was going down last June/July.

The attention is on the car but there are other projects in the works. Apple is working with another company to develop a glucose monitoring system for diabetics. Instead of poking your fingers for blood, a patch would be worn that will give a continous picture of your glucose profile. That picture would be relayed to your i device. Things like this paint a positive outlook for AAPL.

That is just one project on the table.
  • You don't have to regret not owning AAPL. Instead of owning a single growth leader, concentrate on the QQQ. It represents 100 of some of the best growth stock leaders. It has low expenses, and, over the years, the managers have done a stellar job of maintaining the quality and of the constituents and identifying companies with future growth prospects. We prefer it for our client demographic over 50 ... https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Ua-R53o7c588nUr705hY4YaBEcG1qOrNvtonQIwpVws/edit?usp=sharing
  • Apple has always had many rumored products on the horizon. Innovation is Apple's well deserved reputation. I'm still waiting for the iTV rumor to come true. I can't see Apple getting into the car biz., too many moving parts (pun intended) as well as spare parts for vehicles for this rumor to be believable. Apple getting into the healthcare industry? Who knows? Could happen. One of the many rumors...

Introducing phablets into China, where phablets rule, as well as more store openings in the Middle Kingdom and being on China Mobile's network may continue to be the main growth drivers for Apple. But I get kinda jittery when a stock has had the momentum which Apple has seen since their earnings report. I love Apple's products (I'm typing this message using my iPad Air) but the stock seems to be running on rumors now. Just mho.

@Scott - I'll also be watching the retail reaction to Visa's stock split. Both Apple and Visa are core holdings in one of the funds I own.
  • Regarding the healthcare industry, Apple is already making a presence with iPads. Their partnership deal with IBM will push this even further. Having both the hardware and the apps is a big advantage.
  • If anyone is looking for stock to play with, try LQMT. This company had promise but debt and a bunch of other issues put it into penny stock purgatory. Very risky. AAPL is working with them regarding the car project.
  • In a way I'm glad the stock took a breather today. The action has been too good to be true here lately.

Now, should I pare off profits or stay the course?
  • Wrong question? Real consideration "What are you going to do with the money?
    Your answer magically appears....
  • Nothing appeared magically.

This money would stay invested albeit in another fund. Not as easy as in years past when I could sweep profits from high flyers and put them into GNMA funds getting 9%. Those days are over. I have other ideas though.
  • Here's magic:
    I need the money for (blank)....that's a sell
    I will keep the money invested in another investment (fund) that will get 3% if I'm lucky...
    that's a why sell?
  • @Tampabay- sometimes, like now for instance, I do like your style.:-)
  • Tampabay said:

Here's magic:
    I need the money for (blank)....that's a sell
    I will keep the money invested in another investment (fund) that will get 3% if I'm lucky...

that's a why sell?

Or, I could keep it where it is and if it drops way down I'll just yawn and get a beer.

• edited February 2015
    That's really the question and I dealt with it as well. Okay, I'm going to sell Apple. What's my other idea? I don't have one (given where the market is, I actually have probably the least amount of "actionable" ideas I've had in quite some time), especially in tech and given the nature of my holdings, I'd kind of like to look for another tech idea.

Additionally, if Apple stores continue to look like the one I passed a month or two ago where people were sardined into the store, many looking and many waiting for their appointment to talk to a tech person...

I dunno. It's not a large holding for me at all, so letting it continue to sit there is not particularly concerning.

As for my largest individual holdings, those are held with such a long-term view that they're not even really thought about day-to-day.

• edited February 2015
    AAPL is also a small holding for me. What I look at is the 40%+ gain I have and wonder if I should sweep the profits? If I hold pat then it's not a big deal but I was also raised on the saying " A bird in the hand"......

Now, some might say 40% on how much invested? $5000 or $50,000? Both will buy a fine new suit, the latter several of them.

Edited to correct percentage gain.
  • edited February 2015

AAPL is also a small holding for me. What I look at is the 40%+ gain I have and wonder if I should sweep the profits? If I hold pat then it's not a big deal but I was also raised on the saying " A bird in the hand"......

Now, some might say 40% on how much invested? $5000 or $50,000? Both will buy a fine new suit, the latter several of them.

Edited to correct percentage gain.

Stifel upgrades Apple price target to $150 from $130. I can certainly see $150, but if it heads towards $150 in more or less a straight line, I'll have to dump it. If it's a gradual move towards $150 by the end of the year, fine.

http://headlines.ransquawk.com/headlines/stifel-lift-apple-aapl-pt-to-usd-150-from-usd-130-and-reiterate-buy-rating-25-02-2015

• Look up My "Stop Profit" strategy post on this and other sites, makes your decisions for you.....
  • @Tampabay

Say what ??? What are you writing about ???
  • #1 investment strategy, in order to keep the profits you wanted in the first place, priceless
  • catch22 said:

@Tampabay

Say what ??? What are you writing about ???

I'm going to guess he means having stop loss orders in place in order to protect profits.
  • @scott
    I presumed, too.............but.................
  • As mysterious as the herds of sumkina raised in Africa for their meat.
  • So it appears the pressure relief valve opened up on AAPL. Down 3.38% today. Although a big drop, I'm glad it happened. The stock needed to take a break here.