Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Baltimore.

If there are any MFOer's in Baltimore, stay safe. It looks bad.

Comments

• State of emergency declared.
  • @Mfo Members; In these cases Marshall Law should be declared, and anyone committing crimes should be immediately shot.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Martial law. We need to be tougher on these thugs but shooting them would have huge implications.

TRP has their hq in Baltimore.

• Yah it's ugly out there. Thankfully the colleagues I know live in the city are home, safe, and (we hope) out of harms' way.

My campus is just south of the city, but I live way down in Virginia. But I've had the news on since I got home. So sad.....
  • Curfew in place now. It might not hold for tonight though. I haven't seen any use of tear gas or the like. Are the police hesitant?
  • edited April 2015

Martial law. We need to be tougher on these thugs but shooting them would have huge implications.

TRP has their hq in Baltimore.

TRP is closed because of the situation.
  • Thanks for the heads up. Very sad.
  • Lived there for 14 years before I left for the southwest. A sad day. Loved living there.
  • Just spent the day on the road and am home now watching this on Fox. Baltimore had spent years and years to revive and build up their city. What a shame. It's a dread zone now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I used to watch the show, The Wire, and thought, "What a dreadful place to grow up in." I guess nothing much has changed.
  • I just called T. Rowe Price (regarding a transaction). After expressing my concern, I asked where they were working. Owings Mills, MD. Which I guess gets us back to the Wall Street Week thread.
  • edited April 2015
    Big operation in Owings Mills. I've had to address certain paperwork there before - though Baltimore is a more common mailing address. They also appear to have big operations in Boulder Co. and Tampa, Fla. (Sometimes their phone agents socialize a bit and share their location.) Someone fairly high up in Boulder was able to answer a pretty specific fund-related question a few years ago.
  • I went to school in zip code 21228. Catonsville, but a Baltimore designation was employed. Long time ago. But this latest stuff is on my mind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catonsville,_Maryland
  • "Baltimore." Randy Newman.
  • edited April 2015
    Wow - The late night comedy shows certainly shed more light on the riot & general background and conditions in Baltimore did those CNN idiots lolling about in the streets. Stewart was especially on-point if you were fortunate to see the show. Both he and guest George Stephanopoulos were harsh on the news coverage. Larry Wilmore (follows Stewart) made too much light of the situation IMHO - but he and an all black panel certainly offered a unique and pointed perspective you won't get on Fox or CNN.

It's sad that you can get better news and analysis from the late night comedians than from the "news channels".
  • Originally from "Little Criminals", his 1977 album better known for "Short People".

Starting in the 70s (or late 60s) you saw the decline of many northeast and midwest cities ("rust belt"), including the white flight alluded to in the song. New Yorkers will never forget "Ford to City: Drop Dead".

Some cities managed to reinvent themselves; Pittsburgh perhaps being the model. Others, like Baltimore, never seemed to recover.

The page I linked to starts out: "In 1950, Baltimore was the sixth-largest city in the country..." Amazing, and depressing.
  • If I recall, Detroit had something like 1.6 million in population during the automobile manufacturing heyday. Now it's like 400k or so. Some cities adapt and others shrivel away.
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the link msf.

Starting here it might as well be the history of Detroit and the surrounding suburbs (with which I'm quite familiar): "The Great Decline into Post-Industrial Poverty"

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Stewart's stats last evening on the graduation rate of Black males from the Baltimore public schools was especially shocking. I can't recall the exact % - but poorest in the U.S. among major cities.

• Give the teachers a raise, and don't test the Kids....that will get graduation rates up....
    U betcha...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hee hee.
  • @Tampabay: Ban Democrats and everything will improve. No doubt about it. Show me a failing State or City and there's a group of Democrats that have been around for too long.
  • edited April 2015
    BrianW said:

@Tampabay: Ban Democrats and everything will improve. No doubt about it. Show me a failing State or City and there's a group of Democrats that have been around for too long.

(backs away from thread on left wing-heavy board.....then pops popcorn to watch the response, which is sure to be entertaining.)
  • @Tampa, you are aware, right, that most of the poorest worst run states all vote Republican--Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia, South Carolina, Kentucky--all dirt poor and struggling. Meanwhile the wealthiest--New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, California--tend to vote Democrat. Don't believe me? Click here: forbes.com/pictures/fjle45imff/no-1-poorest-state-mississippi/
  • A "miserable" ranking is hardly one based on wealth or poverty but includes "commute times" and crime. To call New York or Chicago, which are on the list, poor cities is laughable. New York is arguably the wealthiest city in the world. Of course, cities will have ugly commutes and crime compared to suburbs and small towns. To make an estimation based on that is merely to say you hate cities. Cities also tend to vote Democrat while country, small towns and suburbs vote Republican. That's not the same as a ranking based on poverty. Look at things like poverty and you will find red Republican states everywhere you look.
  • We could duel with links all day. Democrats have been pimping the poor for decades. They always say, 'we understand you, ', 'we want to help', while voting pay raises for themselves, while businesses leave and the city around them becomes poorer. And, when the last business is gone, they say 'it isn't us, it's them'. It is true, that to a certain extent all Politicians are guilty of being, well, politicians, but on average, Democrats are the worst of the worst.