Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Health-Care Funds Are Ailing But Fidelity Offering Shines

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

Fidelity Select Medical Equipment and Systems Portfolio is a winner this year, even as other health-care funds sink.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=Health-Care+Funds+Are+Ailing+but+Fidelity+Offering+Shines+Barron's

M* Snapshot FSMEX:
http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/FSMEX/quote.html

Lipper Snapshot FSMEX:
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Fund/FSMEX

FSMEX Ranks #3 In The (H) Fund Category By U.S. News & World Report:
http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/health/fidelity-select-medical-equip-systems/fsmex

Comments

• Hi guys!
    Just goes to show you....if you slice a sector thin enough, you can find some winners. Will see when the Big Kahuna says "I do" in January what will happen. Now, it's just market moving babble.
    As you know, I'm bearish on health care......been for a while. Only want to own what's in the S&P 500----S&P Mid Caps and Russel 2000. I fear the worst is yet to come. All that being said, I still have a small position in FSPHX and will keep it for now.
    God Bless!
    the Pudd

p.s. Duke says, "Merry Christmas and may you get many bones under your tree...." .....silly dog!
  • The contrary view is that now is the time to accumulate health and biotech during this long pullback. Sectors do rotate. Take Financial and small value as examples.
    When Trump is in his administration may want the FDA to shorten the new drug application period. That will be the impetus for a move in health.

Cutting profits to biotech is like saying I'll take my chances in life and if I get a serious disease like Alzheimer........ well thats to bad. But there are companies working and spending lots of money on this disease and they deserve to be handsomely rewarded. So will you if you own their stock. And there are many such examples. The FDA goes beyond the needs of safety. They are an inefficient bureaucracy.
    prinx
  • edited December 2016
    prinx said:

The FDA goes beyond the needs of safety. They are an inefficient bureaucracy.
    prinx

The Trump team indicated that they would like to only verify the safety of a new compound before making it available. Currently, Phase I trials do precisely that with a small subset of subjects in an abbreviated timeline. It appears that Trump wants to bypass Phases II and III, which also monitor for efficacy along with longer term viability and safety profile.

Sorry...I would prefer the current process. You'd be asking for another Thalidomide event.

• Hi Prinx!
    If you accumulate this sector now, you will win in the future. It's run long and hard and the government needs to cut costs.....and it will. So, is that all priced in the stocks? I think not as far as bio is concerned. Everybody is into Alzheimer's.....one or 2 will win.....20 will lose. Will you be right? All I'm saying is this sector is now not in favor and the sun is shining on others. The wait will be long. There's more money to be made in other spaces. Do not stay long in the fading light but seek the sun and make more money.
    God bless!
    the Pudd
  • Recently, I purchased VHT as a healthcare play. Looks half decent to me.
  • beebee
    edited December 2016

Recently, I purchased VHT as a healthcare play. Looks half decent to me.

This remind me of the call I got from the doctor.

He said, "I have some good news and I have some bad news".

This sounds half decent, right?

I asked the Doc to give me the good news first.

He said, " Well, you have 24 hours to live."

I said, "Doc, that's the good news? What's the bad news then?"

He says, "I tried to get a hold of you yesterday."
  • bee said:

Recently, I purchased VHT as a healthcare play. Looks half decent to me.

This remind me of the call I got from the doctor.

He said, "I have some good news and I have some bad news".

This sounds half decent, right?

I asked the Doc to give me the good news first.

He said, " Well, you have 24 hours to live."

I said, "Doc, that's the good news? What's the bad news then?"

He says, "I tried to get a hold of you yesterday."
    Isn't that a Rodney joke? lol...If the inference is that I'm late to the party on healthcare, I disagree. But time will tell.
  • @willmatt72
    If the inference is that I'm late to the party on healthcare, I disagree. But time will tell
    Not at all...probably good to dollar cost average in as the wrinkles get worked out with Donnie-care.
  • Bee,
    Really? "Donnie-care?" Are you serious? What a laugh! Wish I'd have thought of that!
    God bless
    the Pudd

p.s. That's funny right there.....I don't care who you are!
  • "Donnie-care" may end up looking remarkably like the Affordable Care Act. But, it will be much better.
  • Puddnhead said:

As you know, I'm bearish on health care......been for a while.

Puddnhead, you got health care right really early so I hesitate to second guess your take on things....but, Trump's comment last week that he was going to cut prices caused a stir. If, however, he means that reduced bureaucracy will drive those savings then current stock prices may reflect most, if not all, of the bad news.

I'd agree with you that the sun is shining brighter in other places now but the market will most likely move before most of us realize the sun is rising again for healthcare.

All the best to you and Duke!
  • the more narrow the sector, the more ANALysis has a role to play. Taking a slice of XLV and declaring victory is ridiculous.

Look at XME. Doing better than VGPMX and the like. Not sure there is a good parallel mutual fund.