Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund for Grandparents to Give: BBALX/MASNX

The situation is real; our first grandchild was born a couple of months ago. The parents are both successful federal employees and do already invest, from the sounds of what I hear they have FANG or similar stocks. I am tempted to offer a modest amount so that the parents might start a fund for our grand daughter, in hopes that we or they could add periodically. The question is how to do it right.

My parents gave us lump sums for a couple of our kids, but seemed to forget the last two. No advice, no strings, no great interest. Parents-in-law gave share certificates directly to my wife on no schedule. Sears, Kodak, Pinnacle West, and the Hancock regional bank fund. No advice, no rationale, no pointers on dividend reinvestment at a time in my life when I knew squat about money. Both sets of parents had money, but did no better talking about it than they did with sex ed. Glad we sold the first two when we did, but if someone had told me that selling electricity to the Four Corners area was a sure thing, and to reinvest the dividends, we'd probably be sitting on a college fund for at least one kid. Same for the MF; it was a great idea, but if you don't tell the donee how to benefit from it, it's kind of useless. Fortunately, the past is the past.

David's and Charles' write ups of BBASX and MASNX, and the mention twice that these could serve as core funds for young people set me to thinking. Should I donate a position in a fund and tell my kids why I chose it and why I think it should be held and how to make it grow and the whole 50-minute lecture on buy-and-hold, including how to avoid all the screw- ups I made on my investing journey? Conversely, should I count on my over-achieving kids to pick the right investment for their daughter and skip the lecture on risk management?. (Actually, I'm not qualified to deliver that, but it sounded good.) With respect to the two funds above, I'd be reluctant to pick such funds because I don't really understand how the managers make money. I can read the beautifully written and cogently reasoned descriptions by our colleagues, but I myself could not take my son-in- law aside and explain in my own words why Ella would be in great shape 18 years from now. On the other hand, I could suggest a conservative allocation fund which is on my high conviction list, namely BRUFX. I could do ok explaining that one and have no qualms about buying it for the child. For comparison's sake, I manage a UGTM fund for my 18-year old. It's composed of positions in VIG, AKREX, DSENX, and HIMVX. 50% of all money this daughter earns is direct deposited into it.

All suggestions are welcome. I don't want to be a control freak, but I sure don't want to give a tool without a user's manual.

Comments

• @Ben WP - Numerous attaboy's to you. I highly applaud your efforts. I also am in full agreement that handing them the tool without owners instructions could prove fruitless.

I started my grandson with a stake in OAKBX the day he was born roughly 6 years ago. I add to it on his birthday, at Christmas and whenever I jus think about it. At that time I tried explaining to his parents why, why that fund, etc., etc., and basically got the deer in the headlights look. It wasn't that they weren't grateful I don't think, it was probably more along the lines of them being overwhelmed by being new parents and all. I'll have another go at it soon.

They also have a relative on the other side who works for and is pushing all manner of PrimeAmerica stuff at them. They get guilted and consoled in all manner of financial matters that they don't understand and feel pressured to help the uncle out because he's MIL's brother. You know how that goes. Thankfully they've managed to glean a few things from my mumblings and haven't gone too deep with this guy.

But back to your situation. It sounds like your kids might be on top of this financial stuff since they have investments of their own. Why not just have the discussion with them with respect toward what you would like to do and see where it goes. I know I make it all sound so easy but maybe you all can agree on a plan and investment choices. Don't make it complicated, the simpler the better. Heck, even Mr. Buffett says 90% SPY + 10% bond fund and go about your life.

On the other hand they might have way too many other things that weigh on their minds on a daily basis and you might get the same reaction as I did. In that case put your hands to pencil and paper, write down your plan including why you're doing what you're doing and just get started. There will come opportunities in the future to add to your writings and hopefully they'll begin to show an interest.

Good luck.
  • edited April 2017
    You would be far better off putting your grandkids in an S&P index fund. I agree with Mark about Buffet's advice. MASNX and BBALX are far too conservative for someone young and hoping to accumulate wealth over a lifetime.
  • Hi BenWP! Wow, what a great thing you are doing. I agree with Mark: keep it simple. Stress one or two things, maybe compound interest and low expenses and pick a fund holding recognizable stuff. A Vanguard ETF will exhibit all of these things over time. Amidst rambling this weekend (thread called Roth for Minors) I mentioned Vanguards VUG which I think has interesting holdings for any age investor in the accumulation phase. Best of luck to you,
    hawk
  • @BenWP: The Linkster's advice KISS, SPY & QQQ.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: that KISS is one great fund. I just needed someone to remind me that I can help myself. Thanks to other commenters. I left out one key factor, at least in our family. My wife does not participate in "our" investment decisions, by her choice, and is little inclined to be charitable. It can get a bit absurd, as when she asked the other day how all that dough got into her Roth. It sure as he$& wasn't Santa Claus or Robin Hood on the job. I realize I need to do some politicking before I spend "our" money on our grandchild. Ain't families the coolest thing since bubble tea shots?
  • I too had an ex like that. One of the many reasons they are now an ex.
  • I bought BPTRX for my daughter years ago as I liked his other funds ( way before the asset bloat there) and thought she had a 50 + year horizon. The crazy leverage he uses helped drive the fund to one of my best investments but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who needs the money before sometime in the 2040s.

As an added benefit, Ron Baron has an annual meeting with a suprize entertainer that some years caught her attention when the stock performance did not. (Paul McCarthy one year) a nice bennie although who knows what that cost us shareholders?

Now we should lighten up but who wants to pay capital gains?

Couple of thoughts

1) Not a big an issue now but back then (1990s) hard to find decent funds that would take small amounts of money

2) given the vagaries of managers and performance would pick a fund with something resembling a team approach in a big company so you dont get stuck with an under preforming fund with a a large capital gain years hence.

But realistically best to use SPY or VTI

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kudos to you. You might consider opening a 529 account for their college fund.
  • Thanks @00BY. The 529 idea is great and I have used the Michigan plan already for my kids. This kid will have a hard time resisting the effects of the wolverine breast milk she's getting now with more subtle and overt pressures to follow. Where my parents wanted me to go to college and where I thought I should go were both wildly wrong headed. I think my father never forgave his alma mater for seeing that I didn't belong there. For all I know, this girl will be best suited for Augustana, but I'm not going to push in any direction now.
  • Anyone else concerned about BBALX's MaxDD of 30% in 2009? Seems pretty steep to me for a fund in that category.
  • As I said in another thread on this topic, a good balanced fund is an ok option. BBALX is probably ok, but it doesn't set my heart a-flutter. Other options might be VWELX, RPGAX, TIBIX, MALOX, DODBX. If we are in a period of rising interest rates, I would be cautious about options that include long-term bonds, especially long-term U.S. government bonds.
  • Hi, guys.

I think the asset allocation question is interesting. Once, a long, long time ago, I concluded that the only fund a long-term investor needed was a U.S. microcap value fund; highest possible returns, volatility be danged. (Remember Fremont US Microcap FUSMX, a favorite?)

I'm not 100% sure of that anymore. Over the past decade (at least through late last year), bonds has outperformed stocks. Over the 40 years period from 1969-2009, bonds outperformed. From the period from inception of the benchmark to the last presidential election (1994-2016), EM bonds had pretty much matched the S&P 500 and utterly buried EM stocks. You might say, "that's unfair, you've picked periods where the stock market has three of its worst crises in a century and two 'lost decades.' The bond market meanwhile had a 35 year bull market."

Mostly, I'd nod. On the other hand, you also had a period of the most amazing drivers of economic growth we've ever seen, from the rise of the internet and mass computerization to the fall of trade barriers and financial deregulation worldwide.

So, how much confidence do you have in describing the state of the markets in 2050?

I'm clueless and might well be ... ummm, "watching from the sidelines" by then.

So if I had to make a suggestion, it would be "spread your bets, stay agile, keep your costs down."

---

In that way, BBALX is rather more aggressive than most. That is, they've structured-in exposure (for example, to natural resources and emerging markets) that others might dodge. It dropped 30% in '09. Is that bad? Mostly if you think of it as designed to be "conservative" rather than "risk-conscious." Fidelity Global Balanced and Vanguard STAR, for example, both dropped noticeably more. The global balanced funds from PIMCO, T. Rowe Price (RPGAX) and Templeton weren't around, so we can't use them as benchmarks.

Do I love BBALX? Nope. I respect it as a well-designed tool. it's cheap, disciplined and less subject to manager risk than a purely active fund. Is it the right tool for your project? Don't know. But I have faith that you'll figure it out.

For what that's worth,

David
  • Do I love BBALX? Nope. I respect it as a well-designed tool. it's cheap, disciplined and less subject to manager risk than a purely active fund. Is it the right tool for your project? Don't know. But I have faith that you'll figure it out.

I didn't read the write up of this fund. It appears to be a fund of funds. I know that many here look at all sort of metrics in evaluating mutual funds. Color me stupid but I thought the whole purpose in buying mutual funds was to accumulate wealth - at least when we are in the accumulation phase. Based on this fund's performance over the past 1, 3, 5, 10, and 15 years it can't hold a candle to a simple passive investment in an S&P index fund.
  • There's the tax advantage of a 529 fund -- the gains are not taxed (as long as the withdrawals are used for college education).
    I opened an account for each grandchild -- two of them with T Rowe Price (Alaska state plan) and three with Nebraska state plan. I don't use their target date funds -- there are some regular mutual fund choices (that's what I looked for when starting). It's mostly on automatic pilot -- $100 per kid per month out of my checking account. With an extra contribution at birthday and Christmas. It's hard to find time to examine the results closely, but the total has grown nicely and the individual funds' numbers stack up pretty well with S&P 500. The two older boys are in the sixth grade now, so in a few years I'll see how complicated it is to get the money out.
  • Agree with @dstone42 about advantages of 529 investing. TIAA manages Michigan's plan about which I have no complaints. There's a state income tax credit on up to 10k per year, but only in years you put in and don't take out. As to the issue of how hard the money is to get out, I do know this. Accustomed as I am to rapid wire transfers, I was caught short and paid a $30 late fee this semester because it takes 3-5 business days to do an electronic transfer. At tax time, be prepared to show your proofs (textbook receipts, classroom or lab clickers, tuition bills, evidence of scholarships, etc). Don't know how it may work in other states and especially for a small college that the plan may not have in its database.
  • Funny, just two days ago I wrote the following email to my daughter (at her request):

"Here's my summary of financial planning. Or, you could read a 300 page book and get the same information with more details.

1) Have an emergency account. Ideally, it should have three months cost of living in it. At a minimum, have a couple of thousand dollars so you can fix a broken car, etc. without panic.

2) Plan a budget. Specifically, you should know your weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual spending requirements in advance for the most part. Make sure you have the money set into "buckets" for those expenses. Examples: rent, insurance, food, loan payments, vacations, etc. Also, there should be a bucket for allowances for each of you. Just because you have money left over doesn't mean that it is "allowance". Actually plan in advance how much "fun money" seems reasonable. Left-over money should go into savings for #3 or #4.

3) Save for retirement.

4) Save for a house or condo.

The easiest way to save for retirement is through a work 401k plan if they offer one. For most folks starting in their 20s, plan to save about 12% of your gross income. The company match if there is one is added on to this. If there is no company match, plan to save 15%. If you don't have access to a 401k, or if you want to save more, just open an IRA for each of you. Invest it 80% or more in the stock market (see details below). This will probably get you retired around age 60. If you save more, you can retire sooner.

The stock market is the best place for long term investing. The reason is stocks go up and down in the short run, but in the long run the market has always gone up. One easy way to invest is to just put 100% of your money into the Vanguard VTI exchange traded fund (ETF). Just add more money every month or every quarter or every year or whatever. If you want to "smooth out the bumps" some, you can get a little more complicated. Invest some of it in a fund that invests internationally instead of just the US. Some years that will be better, some years worse, but you'll get similar results with a smoother ride. An example ETF for this is VXUS. Another option is to invest some money in the bond market (usually slightly lower returns in the long run but definitely smooths the bumps). Finally, to probably increase your results in the long run, invest in small companies (fund VBR) more than large ones.

Keep in mind that the dips the stock market goes through don't really hurt you in the long run and actually help a little. If you are investing a certain amount every month (say $1000) to buy stocks, when the stock price goes down you get to buy more of them. Then when it goes back up, you gain faster than if it just went up the same amount every month.

The way to use the multiple funds is to:
    - set target percentages
    - each time you add money to the investments add to the ones that are trailing your targets

Example targets you could use:
    40% VTI (total US stock market)
    20% VXUS (international stocks)
    20% VBR (small company stocks)
    20% BND (total US bond market)

Saving for a house/condo is different. It should be in some pretty secure investment, like a credit union savings account or CDs, but not the stock market. You'll probably want to actually spend the money in just a few years, so you don't want to have a down stock market right when you need the money. Most folks living in a high cost-of-living area like Seattle probably spend about 30% of their gross income on housing. So for you, if you make a combined $130,000, 30% is 39,000. If you currently pay rent of $22,000 per year, save the other 17,000.

OK, where/how to open an account. I use Vanguard and Schwab for my retirement accounts and like both of them. You can open the accounts online and they both have good phone support, and Schwab has a Seattle office if you want to talk with a human being. The steps are:
    - open the account (an IRA or a Roth IRA or a regular investment account)
    - make an initial deposit (usually by an ACH transfer from your credit union savings or checking); this goes to a basic money market fund (kind of like a checking account)
    - move the money into your chosen ETF investments

IRA and Roth IRA accounts are called "tax advantaged". The government wants people to save for retirement so they try to make it enticing. An IRA (like a 401k) lets you not pay income tax on the money you save. Instead, you pay income taxes when you take the money out 40 years from now. This is called "tax deferred".

A Roth IRA or a Roth 401k is different. You do pay income tax now on the money that you save. But when you take the money out later you do not pay any taxes then.

If the income tax rate now and 40 years from now is the same, it makes no mathematical difference which approach you use. If you expect your tax rate to be higher in the future, use the Roth approach. If you expect your tax rate to be lower in the future, use a regular IRA. Or you can do some of each to hedge your bets. Use a Roth 401k at work and a regular IRA, or a regular 401k at work and a Roth IRA.

I've got some good books if you want more details, but this is the basics."

• edited April 2017
    Good stuff.

Thank you BenWP.

I think long-term investing using balanced allocations is a perfectly satisfactory strategy.

By long-term I mean ... a life time.

I like for example the 50/50 portfolio of BBALX and FFNOX referenced in our December commentary.

FFNOX is Fidelity's Four In One 85/15 stock/bond allocation. Combined with BBALX, the portfolio produces a 75/25 equity/bond global allocation.

Here is break-down using Morningstar's Allocation tool:

Perhaps more conservative, a 50/50 stock/bond allocation would similarly reward long term investors handsomely. Say, 1/3 each to BBALX, FFNOX, and FTBFX:

Several such combinations possible, of course, like the one suggested above by billr. It depends on your platform (Schwab, TIFF, USAA), fund house preference (Vanguard, Fidelity), etc. Just be sure fees are low!

Holding 1, 2, or 3 such funds is a perfectly acceptable approach, even over new platforms like Betterment, which charge 0.25% annually on top of underlining fund fees.

Put on auto investment (making sure there are no recurring transaction fees) and forget about it ... for a life time.

From a strategy approach, I would have no problem even recommending 50/50 to BBALX and MASFX, except the expense of the latter (and most alternative funds) makes it harder for me to recommend as a significant part of a life time portfolio.

I have similar reservation with fees of AKREX and HIMVX, but that's just me ... I always cringe when a mutual fund charges more than 1%.

My two cents.

c
  • Ha! Hi Ted. Thank you. Yes, US history says pure stocks. And, no allocation fund wins out in bull markets over pure play stock funds. I get that. But I, and I suspect most people, would be very satisfied with long term returns of a diversified allocation strategy ... even one as simple as VBINX or DODBX. c
  • @Charles; The thread started by BenWP was for his grandchildren with at least a 40 to 50 year time frame. That's why I recommended stocks that over such a time frame compounded returns, outperform bonds by a wide margin.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/histretSP.html
  • I know. In fact, I gifted each of my granddaughters shares of DODGX for same reason. But, I would be just as comfortable with DODBX ... or several of the other allocations suggested on this thread. c
  • It's always fun to get lots of ideas and to be amazed at the level of commitment and the shared expertise of MFO members. The devil may be in the details, such as the choice of platform. If I were the parent, I would not want to receive a gift of a Fidelity fund, say, if I had a Schwab account already because of the transaction fees. The 529 is a good choice, but in our case such a gift would have been welcome at first, but not so later on when it turned out our first child had a reading-based learning disability and never went to college. A brokerage offering SPY and QQQ commission-free would be just the ticket for the stunningly simple KISS portfolio promoted by @Ted.
  • beebee
    edited April 2017
    A good thing to know about a 529 plan owned by a grandparent:
    If a 529 plan is owned by a grandparent, a noncustodial parent or anybody else other than the student or a dependent student’s custodial parent, it is not reported as an asset on the FAFSA.
    529 ownership matters:
    https://edvisors.com/plan-for-college/saving-for-college/529-college-savings-plans/financial-aid/

fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/how-do-grandparent-owned-529-college-savings-plans-affect-financial-aid-eligibility

Also, here's a EFC (Expected Family Contribution) Calculator:
    savingforcollege.com/financial-aid-calculator/