Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ECB Getting Infusion ready to Steer Euro Away from Deflation.

Comments

• Hi @JohnChisum

Still not assured much can be done with "X" amount of money to "cause" folks to borrow money for whatever, personal or business.
  • I just woke up and checking the board, I noticed the headline of the thread was wrong. It should be deflation and not inflation. I corrected it

Apologies to all.
  • @catch22, I agree. It's more for the benefit of the banksters than it is the general public.
  • I'm thinking disappointment. Expectations are so big at this point that even if the ECB actually comes through and delivers some real QE, I'm just not sure they're going to be able to even meet expectations. I'm hoping to buy European stocks on weakness as a result and if they Euro strengthens in any meaningful way I'd be happy to sell more than I already have.
  • edited January 2015
    This move has been pretty heavily advertised (and therefore discounted by the markets) for about a week now. Also, since many nations have to be involved in the planning, chances that details have leaked out to interested parties are great.

So the actual announcement may be greeted more with a whimper than a bang.

(Should have followed the Swiss model: "Wham Bam! ......" )
  • edited January 2015
    :)
  • Bloomberg is reporting that the ECB will provide €50 billion a month until December 2016. That is a big chunk of euros. In fact, that is €1.1 trillion.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-21/ecb-said-to-propose-qe-of-50-billion-euros-a-month-through-2016.html
  • @Hank: re "Wham Bam! ......"

... wasn't there a bit more to that?? :-)

• edited January 2015
    @Old Joe: That's what the dots are for. (Technical term is "ellipsis marks" and they're used to show where you edited out words - but I won't get too fancy with you here, OJ.)

Carry on!

• Come on Old Joe. At least he thanked her. Now if they would only pay her equal wages... or was that another thread? Gosh, I may never grow up.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2015
    The Elites Have Their Say

A message from Davos: Quantitative easing alone won't solve Europe's ills
    BY NOAH BARKIN
    DAVOS, Switzerland Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:18pm EST
    Axel Weber, now chairman of Swiss bank UBS (UBSG.VX), raised questions about whether the single currency could survive unless politicians stepped up and reformed their economies.

"I have not seen enough reforms in Europe and the ECB will not fix this issue," Weber said, stressing the need for "heavy lifting" changes to labor market rules and pension schemes.

He said that if European politicians continued to rely on loose monetary policy alone, the euro project would become "increasingly difficult" to run.

Former U.S. Treasury Secretary Larry Summers said he was strongly in favor of ECB action, but added that "necessity should not be confused with sufficiency".

QE had worked in the United States, he said, because it came as a surprise and at a time when there was scope to reduce long-term U.S. interest rates -- both conditions that Europe does not fulfill.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/21/us-ecb-policy-qe-davos-idUSKBN0KU2M620150121

Two in depth looks at the real problems in the Eurozone
    ARGUMENT
    The ECB’s Damned-If-You-Do QE Moment
    BY PHILIPPE LEGRAIN Philippe Legrain, who was economic advisor to the president of the European Commission from 2011 to 2014, is a visiting senior fellow at the London School of Economics’ European Institute

JANUARY 21, 2015
    Europe needs stimulus. Mario Draghi has promised to "do whatever it takes." But quantitative easing won't make the eurozone's real problems go away.
    At the very least, QE would need to be huge — potentially even unlimited. But even if he wanted to, Draghi can’t do that, because of political opposition in Germany and legal constraints. The German policy establishment, including the Bundesbank, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s administration, and the German Constitutional Court, is implacably opposed to QE. Among other things, the Germans fear that if, for instance, the ECB starts buying lots of Italian government bonds, it will take the pressure off Rome to reform and put its public finances in order. They reason that this could eventually put the ECB in an impossible position: keep buying the bonds of a by-then-insolvent Italy or precipitate a default in a 2.1-trillion-euro bond market — the eurozone’s biggest — that may impose hefty losses on the ECB’s shareholders, not least the German government, and doubtless shatter the euro.
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/21/the-ecbs-damned-if-you-do-qe-moment/

ARGUMENT
    Europe’s Three-Way Game of Chicken
    BY NICHOLAS SPIRO

Nicholas Spiro is managing director of Spiro Sovereign Strategy, a consultancy specializing in sovereign credit.

JANUARY 21, 2015
    Syriza wants debt relief. Germany wants austerity. Can anything the European Central Bank does keep the most important players in the eurozone happy?
    Syriza heads to power. The radical-leftist coalition is still seeking the same thing it was in 2012: an end to five years of growth-sapping austerity and debt forgiveness by Greece’s creditors.

That these problems have replicated themselves so completely says as much about the enduring political and economic governance problems of the eurozone as it does about the fear that Syriza still strikes into markets. The currency union remains locked in a bitter standoff between a German-led group of countries reluctant to share more financial risks and a French-led one wary of ceding more economic sovereignty.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/21/europes-three-way-game-of-chicken-ecb-germany-greece-qe/
  • Not having your own national currency but one shared by other countries poses a problem as I see it. Some countries feel they are left out as countries like Germany and Switzerland benefit from Euro policy.
  • PRESX is up over the last couple of days by not a little. Liking it.....
  • edited January 2015
    Here we go.

Draghi announced QE of €60 billion a month starting this March through Sept. 2016.

Edited to correct time frame.
  • edited January 2015

Here we go.

Draghi announced QE of €60 billion a month starting this March through Sept. 2016.

Edited to correct time frame.

....And that gave the market a nice boost for about an hour. Again, QE does not create a sustainable recovery. It buys time for politicians with no other ideas. Someone on ZH in the comments section said it well: "Desperation is usually reserved for market lows, not all time highs."
  • @Scott: And to think I sat up all night long waiting for the speech.:)
  • Looks like Europe has a decent green day. In fact, the whole world was green.
  • edited January 2015
    Agree John. A very nice bounce today.