Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

OFF TOPIC - Dear Lefties...

I’d like to thank all of the left-wingers who posted
their dislike of Investor’s Business Daily editorial pages.
Actually, “dislike” is too mild a word.

As it turns out, I decide to read some IBD editorials – which
I hadn’t done in a few years - to see what dastardly things
were being said – no doubt under the guise of free speech.

Upon reading, it was quickly apparent that I had no problem
with the content and decided that I’d continue reading IBD.
So again, thank you Lefties, as your “dislike” spotlights
the political passions of our times.

Comments

• It's possible I started that original discussion. I was looking for Alpha, which on this board means 50 or more comments. I suggested a monthly prize, but no one fell into line behind me.
  • IBD tone and imagery alone are lolz, like something the Onion would run:

\\Fewer Patients Now Under Boot of Authoritarian Rules
    ... They too deserve to have the government's hands pried away from their necks.
    \\ New 9/11 Vowed as Obama Yawns
    \\ Is Obama's Foreign Policy the Worst in U.S. History?
    \\ Hillary's Announcement Means Media Resumes Coronation
    \\ ObamaCare Making Tax Day Even More of a Nightmare

I am sure the content is not all wack.

And anyone who wishes for sense can always return to reality:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/04/13/can-someone-please-print-this-graph-on-a-t-shirt-sharp-decline-in-the-uninsured-since-the-aca-came-online/
  • When I saw the header for this thread I thought it was going to be about how left handers make for better investors because they march to a different beat and don't run with the herd and do their own thinking. Boy was I wrong!
  • So did I, Junkster. I am proudly a lefty. Good employers give lefties a 10% bump in pay because we are so talented. For some reason, I worked for 42 years without finding such an employer.
  • edited April 2015
    For the sake of clarity, here's the previous thread to which I believe Flack is referring. I've already had my say on the topic. http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/19645/ibd-call-me-naive/p1

Seems to me financial journalism (both print and non-print) is a worthwhile topic for inclusion in MFO discussions. I humbly request, however, that this thread not be allowed to deterioriate into a "barroom brawl" - as Flack's other recent post did.:)
  • edited April 2015
    me too, lol :)
  • Well heck, I've been culturing my barroom brawloli all afternoon. Don't worry I have a bit of antiseptic soap I can cleanse my petri dish with.
  • "I humbly request, however, that this thread not be allowed to deterioriate into a "barroom brawl" - as Flack's other recent post did. :)"

OK with me as long as that other guy behaves himself.:-)
  • 'Fewer Readers Now Under Boot of Authoritarian Rules'
  • Do you keep hearing crazy voices? Turn off Fox News. IBD is the print version. Although, someones suggestion to throw away the first section and peruse the second has merit.
  • edited April 2015
    @Old Joe,

I know ... It's always "that other guy" with you people.:)
  • We lefties is sinister.

ds
  • Junkster said:

When I saw the header for this thread I thought it was going to be about how left handers make for better investors because they march to a different beat and don't run with the herd and do their own thinking. Boy was I wrong!

Same here.
  • edited April 2015
    Why was my recent post deleted? If you wish to remain anonymous, send me a private e-mail about it, and let's air it out. But don't just throw something I thought thru into the trash. I attacked no one on this board, nor did I leave a snide/deprecatory remark about anyone's preceding comment. I did not post anything that was untruthful. I did not express an opinion which many of this board do not already hold. And I did not include anything that could remotely pose a legal liability to the MFO.

I cannot fathom how the "disappearer" of my comment, giving no caution or explanation, would think his/her act engenders goodwill, whereas dropping me a note expressing concerns, asking me to modify my comment, etc. would have met the goodwill test. I might ask for clarification, but beyond that whether I agreed or disagreed would be immaterial (like, anything I said would have been of such monumental significance as to justify an argument--- that would be a lack of goodwill in reverse). At least it would have effected a sensitivity on my part, so that in the future, as I approached whatever boundary of sorts that I failed to see, I could avoid the impropriety again.

I also do not understand how disappearing a comment without clarification to the commenter could be considered respectful. Isn't doing so telling the commenter, "I do not find your comment appropriate/valid/worth reading/worth considering, and I don't have to tell you why because I am indifferent to how it might cause you to feel"?

If I do not receive an explanation, I will have to consider withdrawing further participation from this discussion board. This is an ill-defined and intellectually dishonest way of excluding a (personal?) irritant. I believe it is a violation of MFO policy, viz. (a) will treat every reader with goodwill and respect, (b) expects every visitor to extend respect and support to the other members of the community. But then, maybe walkin' the talk doesn't apply to the Hall Monitor.

@David_Snowball Did you have anything to do with this, Professor?
  • edited April 2015
    Howdy.

No, sorry, clueless. (Both generically and with reference to your post.)

In theory, five entities have the ability to delete posts: the four of us with Administrator privileges and the Intersnet. I didn't do anything with this thread except to post the word-play about "sinister." I contacted Charles and Chip, who report that they didn't do anything. Chip does report a storm at our gates: thousands of log-in attempts, presumably trying to reach our control panel. I've discounted the prospect that Accipiter would have deleted anything (he's working hard on abstaining from the internet and mostly checks into the tech question threads).

I'm left with "technical glitch in the database" as a possibility but since I'm the second-least technical person on the team (I'm pretty sure that Ed's more retrograde than I am), that might be a technically illiterate statement. Chip spent some time before work this morning looking for evidence of corruption in the database but couldn't find an evident culprit and Charles will peer into the guts of the system after he finishes appeasing the IRS.

I'll keep checking but so far I've got no evidence of an attempt to suppress you, but then no evidence of a plausible alternate either.

David
  • edited April 2015
    @heezsafe- Good morning. A question on this- after you posted your comment, did you at anytime leave this thread, subsequently return, and see that your comment was in fact there?

The reason that I ask is that sometimes, especially if I'm distracted, I'll enter a comment, hit the preview button, and then unthinkingly hit the "back button" to return to the main page, causing the comment to be lost.

If, however, you did revisit the thread and see that your comment was in fact there, and then it later disappeared, that's a cow of a different color.

Regards- OJ

Edit/Add: I've never noted anything about your posting that would merit a deletion. If they tolerate my sometimes rather questionable input (and they do) I can't imagine that they would have a problem with you.

• edited April 2015
    Hi @heezsafe and @Old_Joe

I've written a blip and then, with brain wandering aimlessly; did not "hit" the post comment icon.

Text = "gone city"

But, I do check to review a post........which is when I discover my mistake.
  • edited April 2015
    @Catch22: Yes, exactly. Now quit fooling around and get to work on that carpet!
  • @Old-Joe

Hey, I'm taking a break. Been up and about since 5:30am. At my age, it is just about time for a nap, eh? Then get going again, until 10pm or so tonight.
    'Course, I did choose to stop too; to find out how much our "prior hard earned money" is working for us today. It is doing well so far. I should just pay someone else to do the work, eh?

Take care out your way.

Catch
  • @Old_Joe and @catch22
    You know, I did subsequently return, and my comment was there. However, I returned because the last sentence in my paragraph had an awkward construction, and I decided I could do better and make it right. If, after the correction, I did a preview and then went back to the main discussion board without hitting post comment icon, would that have aborted the whole enchilada, including what I'd posted previously?
  • Count me in on that account ! (as a wrong button pusher )
    Derf
  • @Catch22:

"I should just pay someone else to do the work, eh?"

Not if you want it done properly. Drives me nuts to see work done that I can do and have done better. Wish I were young enough/strong enough to do it myself. Crap.
  • edited April 2015
    @heezsafe- I dunno. Good question. I'll test that right now.

Well, this post stayed there doing what you mentioned. But, as I'm sure that you've noticed, s--- does happen, especially with computers and the internet.

Hold on... you said "I did a preview..."? When in the "edit" mode, as I am now, there is no "preview" button, at least not on my browser. Also, re preview, this has happened to me: You get a post all set up real nice, with links & everything. Go to preview, it looks good, test the link to be sure, and the whole thing evaporates in a puff of electrons. Don't test a link from the preview screen without specifying "open in a new tab".
  • edited April 2015
    I'd like to give some credit to everyone for keeping this thread reasonably civil - certainly more than I'd expected.
  • Hi @scott

I have concerns about the far lefties and the righties; but I don't let this sway me from reading/listening. I need to know what these folks are thinking. No unlike the teens (high schoolers) in our area who I know. I pick their brains are much as they will allow. I want and need to know what their perceptions and beliefs are at this time.
    The hardest part with this is to "get" them/convince them to understand that there may indeed be something to learn from an "older person". :)
  • @Scott- well, Flack's original comment was a little challenging, and deliberately so, but he really just expressed his editorial preferences, without reference to any specific subject. I respect that difference in perspective; it makes life interesting. What I do usually challenge and attempt to rebut are statements presented as factual when they are:

• subject to interpretation
    • taken out of context
    • manifestly false or unsupported by adequate evidence
    • simply a matter of opinion, where a differing opinion is equally valid

• My concern, with students, journalists, fund managers or editors, arises when folks start with the conclusion and work backward to the facts. Almost any conclusion, thoughtfully and honestly reached, is worthy of respect; all the more so when the conclusion is still subject to change in the face of changing evidence.

David
  • Exactly.
  • Let's minimize (or even better avoid) political discussions here. I have seen time and again, that such discussions do not convert/convince anyone and inevitably lead to increased divisions in a group.
  • @Kaspa- Hi! I agree with you, and really try not to initiate political discussions here. But if someone else does, I feel a responsibility to respond. To not respond, it seems to me, is to tacitly concede the accuracy of such a post.

Sometimes it's hard to separate the purely financial from the political, as the two seem to be so closely intertwined, especially at the Federal level.