Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are you ready......I mean, REALLY ready?

Hi guys.
So......should the market correct soon, say, 10 to 15%, what would you do? Do you have a list or are you going to cry to momma? Do you believe we're going higher after, or are you scared and looking for a blanket? Where will you add or put new money to work? I want your best two (2) positions. Where are you going to make the big money, and why? Remember, liars will be bitten on sight. We aim small and bite big.....longneck wisdom, again. Anyway, guys, what you got?
God bless
the Pudd
p.s. Me? I'm putting money into the index for a short ride, then sell later.

Comments

• Hi @Puddnhead
    You noted:"p.s. Me? I'm putting money into the index for a short ride, then sell later."
    Index, and that would be which/what ???
  • Puddnhead said:

p.s. Me? I'm putting money into the index for a short ride, then sell later.

Yeah, but exactly when is "later", and if there is no exact time-table, then what market movement triggers that sale?

A market that never corrects is supposedly an unhealthy market.....but this market is on its 10th bypass and still running marathons. We don't even see many down days anymore. Perhaps "this time is different".

As to my 2 best positions to put new money to work in a correction, an index such as VFIAX would be coupled with either JAGLX or FBSOX. Then FERGX or MEASX is third.
  • edited January 2018
    I am 100% invested and decided to ignore a possible correction, that is usually short-lived. Instead I am thinking about preparing myself to recession that will be much more prolonged. If we have melt-up we may see a recession at the end without having a significant correction.
  • edited January 2018
    Hi @Puddnhead,

A thought ... Something to buy during a selling stampede.

I don't own this etf ... but, a good number of my buddies in my local investor exchange group do.

It's ticker symbol is FTCS ... First Trust Capital Strength ETF. Below is it's fund report.

https://www.ftportfolios.com/Retail/Etf/EtfSummary.aspx?Ticker=FTCS

It's an interesting fund that repositions quarterly.
  • Howdy Puddnhead,

Hope you're doing well.

Sooner of later, the market is going to correct and in this day and age (particularly living in Hawaii) WTF knows when some Black Swan will pay us a visit. That said, the trend line is still positive over the proverbial Long Term assuming we live that long. In addition, I don't see any sort of viable alternative to the market for any sort of reasonable yield. Therefore, in the absence of some sort of EOTWAWKI event where we all end up fishing from Peter Lynch's bridge, any hiccup is a buying opportunity. I bought thru payroll deduction after Black Monday and thereafter every opportunity. For this reason, I always have some cash on hand in my accounts. Always.

In my main account (TRP) I've got about 2 units in RPSIX just for such a buying opportunity.

For more extreme events, it's all about being in an overall state of preparedness. I will repeat for the 50th time about Baron Rothschild the Elder saying to be prepared for economic uncertainty, one should have 1/3 of their assets in securities, 1/3 in real estate and 1/3 in rare art. One could define the latter in other ways, but it's not Beanie Babies. When I first ran my numbers I soiled my monitor. Over the years I've made changes and still don't approach 1/3 - but's it's better.

good luck,

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• I'm taking a long-term perspective. Staying 100% invested and will remain diversified to aid in the event of a market setback. I'm in it for a the long haul and am not going to try and time anything are utilize specific funds for certain situations. I have confidence in all of my active funds over a fully market cycle.
  • I'm 45 and about 80% invested across my accounts. Come a major 'correction' I will hopefully be able to buy stuff on my shopping list at 'discounted' prices and be happy to continue accumulating shares.
  • edited January 2018
    This kind of optimism is often associated with market tops. I’m heading for a deep man-hole somewhere -
    if not already filled with Hawaiians.:(
    -

@Puddenhead, @Catch22 said:
    You noted:"p.s. Me? I'm putting money into the index for a short ride, then sell later."
    Index, and that would be which/what ???
    Sounds like a reasonable question, which I don’t think you’ve answered yet. I’m confused on that point as well. I also wonder where the “dry powder” to buy on some future dip is going to come from? (1) Have you been raising cash lately? Percentage stashed away? ... Or (2) are you timing various market sectors - fully invested now, but looking to shift from current equity holdings into some different ones on a dip?

Thanks for any clarifications.
  • edited January 2018
    My plan ... Living within my means is step 1 of my plan with little or no bebt and a good cash flow. Being diverisfied within my risk tolerance is step two along with being mindful of asset values. Maintaining a sizeable cash position (built over time) is number three especially during periods of high stock market valuations. Having a sell down plan (if warranted needing cash) is number 4. And, finally, have a buy back in plan for the rebound is number 5 while good value can be had and the market is oversold. If it was worth buying at premuim levels then it's worth buying during corrections.

In short, work the market by not letting it work you. Have a plan and follow it; but, be flexible and revise when warranted. Most of all I tray to stay calm knowing I've got cash and I can spend my time on finding buys while others are looking to see what they must sell perhaps to meet margin calls.

• Hi guys.
    The index I'm looking at right now is the S&P 500. Mids and smalls are not the market movers right now. Best bang for the buck is big caps. Also, look overseas if they fall with us. Japan is my favorite......has been for a while. Right now I'm 20% cash. How long will I hold the index? It's not how long but how greedy I am.....no, I'm bullish. I think we go higher. Also, I own no ETFs right now. I want to play in the sandbox I know....mutual funds. Guys, you got to believe it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, and, right now, I'm sitting here with the shotgun......and some longnecks.
    God bless
    the Pudd
    p.s. Hank, tell the Hawaiians to mover over so the Japanese can get in, too. And I'll try to get you some longnecks......lol!
  • edited January 2018
    @Pudd

:) Thanks. Things always look clearer after a couple longnecks. Three and I become a damn genius.
  • How many before you become a Stable Genius?(just kidding!)
  • @carew388: R U referring to the Prez ?!
    Derf
  • @Derf- Naw, couldn't be... he must've meant a jockey.
  • At what point do you have visions of Pocahontas?