Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bloomberg Wall Street Week

Comments

• 21st October, 2022:
  • just bumping this one upward in the list.

• Oct 28, 2022.
  • 04 November, 2022:
  • edited November 2022

nov. 11, '22. calvasina and bianco again. they are interesting to listen to, from where i sit.

• nov 18th, '22.
  • ...Not much there for me, this time. Bob Michele was positive on bonds, but that's not new, in particular, TODAY.
  • edited November 2022
    25 nov, '22. not the standard type of episode. holiday edition. the last several minutes was all recycled, reruns.
  • edited November 2022
    This week was a special Thanksgiving edition of Wall Street Week.
    It was mostly comprised of recycled content from previous 2022 guest appearances.
  • 02 December, 2022:
  • My focus was on the first segment and the first two guests. Summers was more animated, and---as ever--- making sense. But I think there was not much new in the way of revelations and actionable advice. Hooper: dollar-cost-average your way in--- already--- into a diversified basket of stuff. (And she likes long IG bonds.) Nice to hear, since that's what I'm always doing, anyhow.
  • edited December 2022
    . oops.
  • December 9, 2022:
  • edited December 2022
    Liz Ann Sonders is always brilliant: clear and insightful. And gorgeous. Peter Kraus offers thoughtful contributions, as well.
  • Both guests provided interesting insights.
    Kraus's thoughts on credit cycles and potential future downgrades/defaults.
    Sonders's view of "rolling recessions."
  • edited December 2022
    I thought Louis Rukeyser’s 1980 hair style (beginning at the 8:45 mark) was by far the most fascinating aspect.

Both the early guests were good. Worth a second viewing. First good show in a while. If memory serves correct … one recent program dealt solely with environmental investing and another featured re-runs of earlier guest appearances.
  • edited December 2022
    16 december, 2022.
  • edited December 2022
    23 december, '22. year-end special. lots of re-run material.
  • 06 jan. 2023.
  • omg. no need for melatonin when there's larry summers.
  • edited January 2023
    Funny you should mention this.
    I've fallen asleep several times during Larry's segments!
    But not this week... ;)
  • Funny you should mention this.
    I've fallen asleep several times during Larry's segments!
    But not this week... ;)

probably making a bunch of people jealous with all the palms.
  • edited January 2023
    I’ve been trying to listen to this episode late at night for couple days now. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to get through Larry’s piece without falling asleep - so have yet to finish it. I suspect that in written transcript form it would be easier to digest as his sentences are sometimes long and / or complex.

While El-Erian doesn’t appear on WSW, he’s often on BB and also conveys (to me) a similar “wet rag” effect regarding markets. Albeit, the latter is highly regarded and a somewhat better speaker than the former. But one’s knee-jerk reaction to both (ISTM) is to sell equities / risk assets.

The gentleman from Evercore strikes me as straight shooter - but who knows? Michael Bloomberg pays this dude to manage his fortune. He claims his firm is the most defensively positioned in the firm’s history. This refrain keeps coming from many investment corners almost like a broken record. My very uneducated take is that these guys by and large are referring to the S&P. I have trouble believing it applies to some foreign markets, or some mid / small cap U.S. stocks, nor does it necessarily apply to certain commodities. But that’s just my humble personal feeling.
  • Is Rattner the one you mean, @hank? The same assertion hit me hard, too: as defensive as they've ever been. But at the same time, he did indeed say that he still owns stocks. the company he heads is like a battleship, it can't turn on a dime. but he mentioned that prudence dictates that he always holds stocks at SOME level. Right now, that level is of course reduced.
  • edited January 2023
    @Crash - Yes, Steve Rattner of Willet Advisors. Thanks for the correction. Had him confused with the fella from Evercore Investments who has a similar cautionary take and also appears on WSW. Both top notch.

https://stevenrattner.com/bio/

I doubt you and I have the same access to Rattner’s thinking Michael Bloomberg does. It always mystifies me a bit that highly paid money managers dispense information (just short of calling it “advice”) for free to all and everyone - though you’re likely paying for BB through some form (cable costs, wading through commercials or whatever)

There are a few in the past on other media that I suspected of actually offering misleading / self-serving “advice” in order to move certain stocks, bonds or or other markets in one direction or another for their own benefit.. But I think BB is pretty straight-up.
  • +1. I get Bloomberg TV LIVE on -air on my Roku-equipped television. No cable needed. When I watch WSW and Real Yield, I watch on my computer with the ad-blocker. I like that.

• 13 jan, 2023.
  • 20 Jan, 2023:
  • edited January 2023
    27th Jan, '23:

The first 2 guests (appearing together) are semi-regulars, and held my attention. The rest of it was for someone else, shall we say. I just could not bear to sit through Summers this time.
  • edited February 2023
    03 feb, 2023.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2023-02-04/wall-street-week-full-show-02-03-2023

I happened to catch it in the middle, on tv. Sonali Basak on Hedge Funds? Naw. I perked up to see what might be said re: the yooge rise in employment. Some differences of opinion on inflation between browne and michele.