Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Huge bump-up today, but...oct. 3rd, '22.

Someone had to do it: to start this thread about what transpired today. But did you notice the SELLING at the end of the day? Always the way.

Comments

• What did you discover that was "significant" selling towards the close? With large percent moves up, it is normal and expected to find some selling; but I don't see any large % drops in the broader sectors.
  • catch22 said:

What did you discover that was "significant" selling towards the close? With large percent moves up, it is normal and expected to find some selling; but I don't see any large % drops in the broader sectors.

Very simply: I can remember a time when the buying continued right up until 4:00 p.m. and the indices closed at the HIGH for the day. ..... Maybe the rise of the Algos and Machines and Computers and Logarithms and instantaneous minute-by-minute trading in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out has killed any such possibility forever, by now.
  • @Crash : If that is true or what's happening , long live the ETF ! Holy .....
  • edited October 2022
    https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/future/sp 500 futures

Future + 1.5%

Be careful could be bear trap
    No pivot plans but stocks maybe hyperbolic
    Maybe leg up before next leg down to 3500s 3400s
  • If you're going in, probably smartest to keep a close eye on the exits. Probably a trade only.
  • It is still early but so far biggest up volume vs down volume day since end of December 2018. That one in December 2018 launched the 2019 bull market.
  • And the actual reason for this reversal is... "just because" ??? (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)
  • edited October 2022

If you're going in, probably smartest to keep a close eye on the exits. Probably a trade only.

If you’re going in …

Same precautions as wading into shark infested waters.:)

• edited October 2022
    Today's price action makes this bump up look like it has more legs. It did not look as convincing yesterday. I did not sell anything today based on this bump up - had a limit sell order that I had set up many months ago trigger today.
  • edited October 2022
    Yes, i'm sitting back, just watching it all with (no doubt) some very temporary glee.

Glad I found BHB when I did! ...I'm dying to see my PRISX pick itself up out of the ditch. ...It's only a relief-rally, anyhow.

*bumped into KIT JUCKES last night on Bloomberg TV. He's always interesting, to my mind. He's the FX guy at Societe Generale.

From a Linked-In profile:
    "I have been busily ignoring Linkedin for years. Linkedin have created another profile of me, as 'bloke what works for Societe Generale'. I am slowly going to start trying to figure this malarky out so if I ignore you or fail to connect with lifelong friends, it's cos I'm rubbish....

My random thoughts can be found on twitter (@kitjuckes), or by finding my occasional blog on any search engine.

I was born close enough to Eldoret to be slightly disappointed I can't run a marathon in anything like 2 hours. After that, I spent a lot of time in France, some in boarding school and then some in London, studying economics (though I seem to have spent an awful lot of time playing hockey, tennis and bridge, instead of studying). About a week before my finals I worked out that I really, really like economics, and some time later I worked out that what I am really interested in, is economic history. By then I'd decided to spend six years studying the wrong bits of economics. If I'd worked it all out earlier I'd be an academic, and my wife and children would have deserted me…..so it's all for the best."

• edited October 2022
    Old_Joe said:

And the actual reason for this reversal is... "just because" ??? (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)

Somebody in a big hedge fund somewhere plugged their algorithm-laden computer in backwards yesterday morning. Just haven’t noticed yet that it’s running in reverse.

• According to Walter Deemer's feed on Twitter (LINK),
    Monday was 89% up-volume day (barely missed being 90% up-volume day)
    Tuesday was 95% up-volume day.
    2 VERY strong successive up-days. Rare.
  • edited October 2022
    @_yogibearbull

Yes sir

I read somewhere and posted last wk
    After severe panic selling days /capitulation, VIX massively high, poor sentiments

Then followed (after 5-7 days sales off) w couple days uptrends ( bulk of Stocks sp500 mid caps low caps) 85% 90% finishing positive for 3 5 days (new consecutive higher highs) despite massive bad news, new baby bull maybe born/formed.

Will watch market breadth/macd and market trends next 3-6 trading days

Was watching Bitcoin, did not reach new lower low past 2 3 wks (less than 18.5k) which may mean bottom consolidations

All bets off if uncle Powell keeping hawkish tones, both feet on the gas pedals/ no backing off (not 0.5%raise followed by 0.25% next yr, and no Qt slows down)...
  • @hank- ahh... that's got to be it. Thanks.
  • edited October 2022
    I might have fat-fingered a few of my mega-trades this week. I'll clean that up, and then things should get back to normal this week. Sorry, guys.
  • NO! NO! NO! DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!