Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Latest: 16 Jan, '23: NFCU 15-month CD. Different terms

edited January 2023 in Other Investing
16 January, 2023:
New offer: 15 month certificate, 5% YIELD, (not rate.)
I see nothing about direct deposit being required. You would need to qualify for membership.
Minimum $50, maximum is bumped up to $250,000.00.
Subject to the maximum, you can add to it as you go along.

"Easy Start." RATE (not yield) = 4.75%.

On $3k, that's a profit of approx. $142.50.
https://www.navyfederal.org/checking-savings/savings/savings-resources/certificate-rates.html#SV05

My bonds are paying me more than that every MONTH. Of course, I'm investing way more than $3k in those. But the Certificate is insured. It may appeal to some folks. Highest rate I've seen out of Navy since i opened my account there.

Comments

• So, what are you gonna do?
  • Just letting people know. The maximum dollar-ceiling kills it for me.
  • You forgot the best part - one doesn't have to invest all $3K at once. One can add to the certificate so long as the total amount doesn't exceed $3K.

Worst part (aside from having to qualify as an NFCU member)? One must set up direct deposit of one's paycheck.
  • "One must set up direct deposit of one's paycheck. "

Now there's the joker in the deck!
  • true. msf and oj
  • I check DepositAccounts website routinely to see if any my credit unions are running any good short-term certificate deals:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/

NFCU seems to have some decent deals. Current deal from NFCU on DepositAccounts:

15-month Certificate Special, 5.00% APY, $50 min/$250k max deposit, limit one per member, additional deposits at any time, available through April 30, 2023.

• Ken Tumin of DepositAccounts posts on Twitter and his feed there has many high-rate alerts.
    https://twitter.com/KenTumin
  • Thank you @yogibearbull with the Twitter feed
    Lots of various goodies.
  • edited January 2023
    @TheShadow Yea, I almost put a chunk of money into one of those NFCU 5%s today. Went as far as to login and start the transfer. I bailed remembering previous high percent teasers followed by lower than PenFed type rates when the short period was over. Maybe tomorrow with half the money I was ready to send today. Really wish, after more than 70 years, I could break that procrastinator personality.
  • I was just at the local branch today. Not a word about it. Saw no notices, nothing. Jan. 9, '23, which is the opening day of the 13-month, 5% deal.
  • Deals for brokered CDs are different from those at branches.

Brokered CD raise quick money nationally but are more expensive for the banks/CUs to offer. Local/branch deals are for captive/dedicated customers and often not as good.
  • @Anna,

5% for 15 months with beginning deposit of only $50 with additional deposits is not bad.
    Just got a family member into it yesterday. Just want to make sure you stay on top of the maturity date so it doesn't rollover into something with a much lower rate when it matures.

I have PenFed also, but I check DepositAccounts.com to see the current deals. I tend to use military related credit unions or Texas based credit unions. Rates were a little better than than what the credit unions pay in my area.