Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wall Street Week Resurrection.

edited April 2015 in Off-Topic
The show will be televised in limited markets but will be streamed online for the rest of us. I have mixed feelings about bringing this show back. Obviously, without Lou, it just will not be the same. But, with the severe lacking of good financial programs, it might have a chance in this niche market.

http://www.wallstreetweek.com

Comments

• Thanks, JohnC, for the heads up. I will check it out as I have book marked the site for easy reference.

• Lou was great. It was a Friday night staple for me for many years.

Thanks for the tip; I will keep an eye on the new show.
  • How will they ever re-create the stilted setting with the fund manager and Lou sitting on the same old furniture? Or am I remembering wrong?
  • That's a good question. This first show will not be indicative of the show in general. Scaramucci already said that all the people on the advisory board will appear in the first show. That is a lot of people. (20)

• When Lou would sit at the big table and the weekly guests would join him, sometimes there was a *very good-looking* female in the mix. I don't remember her name but I wouldn't mind seeing her again.:D

Sorry for being so shallow.:(
  • edited April 2015
    Leroy said:

When Lou would sit at the big table and the weekly guests would join him, sometimes there was a *very good-looking* female in the mix. I don't remember her name but I wouldn't mind seeing her again.:D

Gail Dudack. I would bet she has gotten older like the rest of us.
  • @MFO Members:
    Regards,
    Ted
    Part 1 - Before the Crash - Wall Street Week October 16, 1987

After the Crash - Part 2 - Wall Street Week Oct. 23, 1987
  • Junkster said:

Leroy said:

When Lou would sit at the big table and the weekly guests would join him, sometimes there was a *very good-looking* female in the mix. I don't remember her name but I wouldn't mind seeing her again.:D

Hi Junkster,

Speaking of Gail Dudack.

"An eternal bull on the stock market, the more bullish, and less tolerant of dissenting bears he became, the higher the averages climbed. On the program of Nov. 5, 1999, Mr. Rukeyser announced the firing of the veteran panelist Gail Dudak for her 156 consecutive weeks of bearishly errant forecasting. Ms. Dudak heard the news from her neighbors the next morning. The stock market peaked four months later"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/03/business/media/03rukeyser.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Mona

• Junkster said:

Leroy said:

I looked her up (even old pictures) and it's not her. If I recall correctly, Gail was a regular member of the panel. The woman I'm thinking of wasn't; she was just an occasional guest maybe a few times a year -- and very attractive. I Googled around but couldn't find her.
  • edited April 2015
    Leroy said:

Junkster said:

Leroy said:

I looked her up (even old pictures) and it's not her. If I recall correctly, Gail was a regular member of the panel. The woman I'm thinking of wasn't; she was just an occasional guest maybe a few times a year -- and very attractive. I Googled around but couldn't find her.

OK, the only other that comes to mind is Alison Deans. Still probably not the one you are thinking of because I don't recall her being VERY attractive.

• That's her! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Keeping track of my harem is a tough job and sometimes I need help, lol. This pik is about 2 years old -- she still looks sweet to me.

Oh well, back to the bulls and bears . . .
  • Okay, I'm a curly hair fan, too...............................

Ah..........that would be back to the bears today, eh?
  • Yes, the curly hair does it for me.

Bears: We can hope they are just grumpy from hibernating and won't hang around too long.
  • I watched the after-crash video Ted posted. Not one company that sponsored WSW may even exist any more. Trimerica?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "Also I am not one to watch TV at 11 AM."

Also I am not two to watch TV at 11 AM.
  • It is odd the things that I remember from the show...such as when Lou introduced the central guest, I remember that the producer (?) essentially guided the person onto the set....very quaint.

And Liz Ann Sonders....as I see she will be a guest as well on the new show.
  • Aha! Liz! Another one of my harem. I always watch her on Schwab's webcast.
  • That tune has been running inside my head since yesterday. I watched more than a few of the videos from the show last night, and watched Mario Gabelli as a young man; his philosophy has not changed over the last 25 years, always liked him, just never bought his funds. I remember Julius Westheimer on the show all the time, I lived in Baltimore back then and he was always on the local news with his investing insights. Nice trip down memory lane, I especially liked Lou's farewell show, he did not mince words. A big reputation to live up to, wishing it luck.
  • Sunday at 11:00 a.m.... I'm thinking it won't be very fresh. But this is the 21st century, now. They certainly did draw hugely upon the image of uncle Lou in that 30-second promo. Just for old times' sake, I'd rather it be back on Friday evenings. (Boo-hoo.) And really and truly: ONLY Louis Rukeyser could get away with the droll puns he loved to stick into his monologue.:) He made me giggle and groan.
  • (@Maurice:) I recall the melodrama ads on tv for Hansen, in black and white, recalling the ending of "Citizen Kane." ("Rosebud.") Only the word on his dying lips was, "Hansen."
    Hanson PLC per Wikipedia

Hanson plc (formerly Hanson Trust plc) is a British-based international building materials company, headquartered in Maidenhead. Traded on the London Stock Exchange and a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index for many years, the company was acquired by a division of German rival HeidelbergCement in August 2007.

• edited April 2015
    "I remember Julius Westheimer on the show all the time"

@Slick- yes, thanks for that. What a decent fellow- always liked and respected him.

Edit/Add: I think that Julius would have liked MFO. The closest to him, here, I think, is @BobC. And that's meant as a huge complement.
  • edited April 2015
    @Old_Joe
    Yes, agree with your statement.
    Mr. Westheimer seemed to be a person one could have a drink with at the local pub, have a pleasant chat and in the end; one would likely consider him to be gracious person.

Not at the ranch this weekend, eh?
  • @Old_Joe in regards to BobC, to me he is like the old commercial for E.F. Hutton "when BobC talks, people listen":) He does not comment very often, but when he does, I find him always informative and a voice of reason.
  • Has anyone else discovered you have to sign up to get the program online? Not a huge deal but.
  • That was my thought also.

Hard to believe it has been over 27 years since that show.
  • edited April 2015
    slick said:

... in regards to BobC, to me he is like the old commercial for E.F. Hutton "when BobC talks, people listen":) He does not comment very often, but when he does, I find him always informative and a voice of reason.

Nice Slick. Bob's one of perhaps a half-dozen "must reads." Hell, he could detail the weather in Columbus or wherever he is, and I'd still find it of value.

Re Lou - Fox will have their hand in this - so I'll reserve judgment. But a couple points. (1) My parents were honest hard working people - but knew nothing of investing. So Lou became a real mentor for me during my earlier years. I'll hasten to add that he wasn't always right. But even today, when faced with a tough choice, I'll ask myself "What would Lou have said?"

(2) I don't think Lou's show would have achieved the success it did in this day and age for a lot of reasons. Chief among them is that there's so much competition from the cable outlets. The programing is inferior; however, they do serve to fragment the audience. I also think individual investors are better informed today than they were when Lou started out (ironically in part due to his lead). So, I just don't think the appetite for his show would be as great.
    -

All this reminds me of Nick's comment in Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, "You can't repeat the past."
    (To which Gatsby responds, "Why of course you can!")
  • With all the information available on the web, Rukeyser would not have the success he experienced back then. With that said though, it is the dissemination of that information that many of us need.

I may have misspoke earlier by commenting that this first show would have all the advisors on. I'm sure I read that somewhere but now I see that Liz Ann Sonders and Jeffrey Gundlach will be the guests. A good start IMO. I'll have to wait until Monday morning here to view the rebroadcast.

I hope this show does well. I could add it to my list of shows to watch, of which there is only one other, Wealthtrack with Consuelo Mack.