Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazing / TROW down nearly 40% YTD

Comments

• edited August 2022
    I may have called the bottom on this one. TROW has steadily risen from around $113 a month ago to $130.50 now. Up 4.70% today alone and a total gain over 15% since I mentioned it.

No, I didn’t buy it. Hope someone else did

@Derf says “You can’t win them all.” .
  • I'm up 9.2% since my first purchase on 6/21/22. I own 3 shares-now wish I had bought 30 !
  • What a move!
  • edited August 2022
    Crash said:

What a move!

Umm … I track lots of things just for fun. +15% over a short period is a nice gain. Not uncommon in today’s volatile markets. Capture an quick gain like that and reinvest it back into your (more conservative) overall portfolio. Helps the bottom line over time. But it can move either way on you. Some would bail after a quick 15% loss - a sure way to the poor house.

Nice going @carew388.

With TRP, all the brokerages / asset managers had become dirt cheap earlier in the year. Investors in TROW and the others must now believe folks will start moving back into the markets now that they’ve risen significantly. Ironic in a sense.
  • @hank - who said "Some would bail after a quick 15% loss - a sure way to the poor house." Right or wrong I bail on new positions if they hit an 7-8% loss. It's benefitted my bottom line a bunch. It tells me that I took those positions too early, that I need to have more patience and/or that I don't have a full understanding of the equity of interest, Ergo back to the drawing board and the research data. MDT was my most recent blunder.
  • edited August 2022
    Mark said:

Right or wrong I bail on new positions if they hit an 7-8% loss. It's benefitted my bottom line a bunch. It tells me that I took those positions too early, that I need to have more patience and/or that I don't have a full understanding of the equity of interest …

@Mark. I’ll withdraw / modify my prior advice. Glad selling for a loss works for you. Realize some sophisticated investors use “stop loss orders” in buying / trading. Beyond my experience level or inclination. But certainly a respected approach.

Yes, I have sold speculative holdings that gained briefly and than reversed direction. Maybe for a percent or two loss. But if you’re gonna jump ship at 15% down … you’re going to have to gain back 16 or 17% elsewhere just to recoup that kind of loss. I’d say take the loss if you seriously misjudged the security. But if confident in your original analysis, stick with it. I’ll confess to buying a few shares of KKR last spring. But bailed in a day or two for a small loss when I realized it was way too aggressive / volatile an investment for me. Had clearly made some major mistakes in my initial analysis and assumptions. Stuff happens.

• edited August 2022
    @Mark and @hank

I resemble those remarks. :) Made a move today at a loss out of RGR and put the $$$ to work in PSTL. The Post Office pays its bills. Eh? (REIT.) My ONLY REIT. Nice purchase price. I grabbed it.
  • Just an FYI -

Re setting stop losses, I had a few trigger, marking my sell price the bottom I have not seen again. After that I stopped using standing stop loss orders in my brokerage account but now I write them down and enter a fresh sell order when my target price is hit. This new practice has not guaranteed the price I want but at least removed the possibility others have visibility into my standing stop loss orders.
  • edited August 2022
    @Hank
    Good call sir

Hood plummet from 60s to 5 then rebound little to 10.5 today

I DID similar things and always kicked myself before or after since did not buy or sell too early

Many small caps stocks -70% (even 80s 90s% like IONQ) since the carnage started after new-year/Ukraine invasion

Add lots small caps past few wks
    TNA
    NVTA
    VRM
    Balu
    Qubt
    Bbby

Also small dca into cryptos recently
    BTC
    ETH
    Xlmusd

Sold out NVTA after closures massive gained today but very small portions 300 shares...bought at 2.5 bucks

Pump dumped AMTD HKD last few wk 7% 10% gained here there but very little bought
  • +1 crash and hank Marketbeat reported that Director Patrick Donahoe bought 3055 shares recently so maybe he knows something?! Once I found out TROW had a 4% dividend, I couldn't resist it, so thanks for the info hank !
  • To clarify, 3055 shares of PSTL
  • edited August 2022
    Just to update my earlier numbers. TROW fell back a bit from earlier in the day before the close. Closed at $129.87, a gain of 4.17% for the day.

When I initially posted this thread 7/10 it was $113.68. Buying at that price would have resulted in a total gain thru today of 14.24%.

The following day, 7/11, I noted it had fallen to $113.10. Buying than would have produced a total gain of 14.83% thru today.

On 7/13 I noted it had fallen to $110.77 / Buying at that price would have resulted in a 17.24%. gain thru today.

Of course I did not recommend buying back than. Nor did I buy. There wasn’t really room in my allocation model to hold it in any significant quantity without dumping another holding. (And I like what I already own.)

• Hello, @hank. Typos, above? Digits missing? Happens to me all the time.
  • @Crash. Thanks. Got it. Doesn’t affect the final numbers.
  • edited September 2022
    Just a heads up. TROW dropped below $112 late in the day. Tantalizing …

Thought about pouncing 5-10 minutes before the close. But everything I do needs to conform to pre-established allocation model. Spec is already near upper limit. So, didn’t move on it. If it falls much further, I’ll find a spot for it.

The thing is … money management / brokerage will probably suffer as long as equities overall are in a dour mood. And who knows how long before that turns up?

TROW closed at $112.08 today.
  • @ hank : Any chance Schwab could buy them ?

Just a thought, Derf
  • edited September 2022
    ETFs IYG (financial services) and IAI (brokers-dealers) have several brokers.

Price/TROW is doing much worse than more diversified brokers-dealers/fin-svcs.

Schwab/SCHW has to yet digest TD Ameritrade and brokerage parts of USAA. It may not buy anything for a while.

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=TROW&compare=IAI,IYG&id=p15922107105
  • @yogibearbull : Are you telling me that Chuck has more that a few loose ends to tie up from TD A. ? I must have missed USAA brokerage dealings. when did that happen?
    Thanks, Derf
  • Derf said:

@yogibearbull : Are you telling me that Chuck has more that a few loose ends to tie up from TD A. ? I must have missed USAA brokerage dealings. when did that happen?
    Thanks, Derf

USAA is going back to basics - financial services for military families and veterans.

It sold its fund operations to Victory Capital and brokerage operations to Schwab.
  • edited September 2022
    Derf said:

@ hank : Any chance Schwab could buy them ?

Just a thought, Derf

@Derf - I’ve had a similar thought, but haven’t looked at it enough to have any opinion.

TRP’s issues run deep. I’d expect a nice bounce someday, but wouldn’t want to hold longer term. Here’s a story highlighting their problems. The exodus to low cost ETFs is a large part part of the issue. Yes - a potential buyout target. But who? TRP’s $25 billion market cap is easily within Buffet’s means, but this isn’t the type of company he appears to like. Can’t blame him. Feast or famine.
  • Yup, Schwab has a bunch of stuff to finish the integration with TDA. I'm *still* waiting for ThinkDesktop to be migrated so I don't need to use that for streaming quotes/active charting and then switch into the website to place orders/trade. Hope that migration happens soon b/c the StreetSmart 'platform' they offer in my view is horrible and reminds me too much of the old Options Express (who they bought) active platform which gave me fits 15 years ago...I refuse to use it.
  • edited September 2022
    If it's any consolation, the YTD charts of TROW (financial) and ASML (technology), two completely different categories, are virtually identical when superimposed. This suggests to me that both are merely reflecting the general market deterioration, and that neither is being punished because of perceived operational flaws.

If you own either, probably best to just forget about the whole thing until the market exits this phase. As far as new purchases hoping to catch a quick upturn/profit, I'd be very wary, since the day-to-day market movements are very erratic, unpredictable, and subject to a host of worldwide forces of an unusual nature.

• edited September 2022
    FWIW - I do not intend to buy TROW at any price. Doesn’t fit my allocation model except as a possible speculative play. Spec holdings are limited to 12% of total portfolio, and that’s pretty full-up at present. No room to add.

TROW is off 43% YTD. That’s about 3X what the Dow has lost (15%). More than double the decline in the S&P (18%) and down substantially more than the NASDAQ (26%).

Not recommending anyone buy TROW. Posted the link initially as a curiosity of sorts stemming from its being in the mutual fund business.
  • "TROW is off 43% YTD. That’s about 3X what the Dow has lost (15%). More than double the decline in the S&P (18%) and down substantially more than the NASDAQ (26%)."

Take a look at Schwab. Makes TROW look not so bad. I really doubt that in the long run either TROW or SCHW are big-time losers. In a market like this one nothing makes much sense... just hold on and watch until it's over and the screen credits are rolling.

• “If you own either, probably best to just forget about the whole thing until the market exits this phase.”

@Old_Joe, Are you advising folks who may already own ASML or TROW to sell them now?
  • @hank- Absolutely not... I thought that I was very clear on that: just hold them until this whole thing turns around. There's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with either of them.
  • ETFs IYG, IAI don't have much exposure to fund-stocks. Here are 5 fund-stocks AB, BEN, BLK, IVZ, TROW and TROW is not doing well in this group.
    https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=AB&compare=BEN,BLK,IVZ,TROW&id=p36589705458
  • edited September 2022
    “Take a look at Schwab. Makes TROW look not so bad.”

SCHW is only off 14% YTD if my CNBC app is to be believed. It’s actually positive for 1 year.

(Confirmed the above data with a second app)
  • I replaced AB with SCHW (free Stockcharts display limit is 5 tickers) but kept 1 yr (any other timeframe later defaults to 1 yr).
    https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=SCHW&compare=BEN,BLK,IVZ,TROW&id=p54544772817
  • edited September 2022
    Old_Joe said:

@hank- Absolutely not... I thought that I was very clear on that: just hold them until this whole thing turns around. There's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with either of them.

Thanks @Old_Joe. Point taken. Generally, paying less attention to the ups and down of a holding is a good idea. However, if I owned something that had shed 43% of its value in fewer than 9 months I’d find it hard to “forget” about it. That leaves just 57% of the original pot. It would take, by my math, a 75% increase from there just to get back to even.

I hope I did not suggest there’s anything intrinsically wrong with TRP. I’m not informed enough or smart enough to know whether that’s the case. It’s a dog-eat-dog business they are in. Lots of top-notch competitors. To the extent investors have grown more fee conscious / fee averse over the years (owing in great measure to superb informative forums like Mutual Fund Observer), older higher fee management firms may well be at a disadvantage against some of their lower cost competitors.