Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy - Sell - Ponder September 2017

Hi guys!
With Skeeter moving on to other things, I thought I would try to keep the thread alive a bit longer. Skeeter said (on another thread) small and mid caps are lagging.....mine, too. But having said that, many other funds are pegged at 52 week highs. In fact, most of the portfolio is there, so it makes me wonder about September. I have one clunker, CHTTX, which may soon go. I've been thinking about replacing it with an index fund (FMEIX). I have bought GLFOX when the missiles flew over Japan. As all markets dropped, that is my only buy lately. On a pondering note, I saw that the LA ports had their best month ever on imports. Bodes well for Christmas. With all the jobs, it's not surprising. Also, with Amazon taking over Whole Foods, they could become mortal, one thinks. I saw Campbell soups at a 2-year low. We ate a lot of their soups growing up. Also on a final note, with football coming, who is your all-time favorite player and why?
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• Recently bought PRMTX, PRGTX, PRIDX PRDSX. Most of these T. Rowe Price funds
    will be closed the end of September.

Fixed income - added to PFIIX and started a position in PIOIX. With PIOIX, wanted
    diversification from Pimco and Doubleline.
  • edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Maurice!
    Lol -- when I first wrote my post, I struck this line from it. Then, I decided to add it for, really, the ponder element. I will say this.....it surprised me it took so long for a post on that comment. I knew I would get one. Can Amazon make Whole Foods work? Absolutely! Forever! Yep! You bet! But they now play with the Big Boys in this space---remember that. Media is one thing that has overhyped this and its worth. It's a bit player in the company but could be a drain. Think GE.....it's all about management, management, management. Right now they have it. OR, remember Sony.....not saying it will stop them. It's small, but you start somewhere....just saying. Again, it's a ponder, bro.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • Hi Mitchelg,
    Bro, very excellent choices! You have chosen well. This longneck is for you!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited September 2017
    Hello,

I want everyone to know I'm not leaving the board as scott did a couple years back. But, I did want to step back form hosting an on-going thread. I am glad to see that Puddnhead and Duke picked the thread up to keep it going. I'm sure they will do well.

This past week Old_Skeet's market barometer closed the week with a reading of 152 which is down a point from the previous week and with this remains in fair value territory. Remember, a higher barometer reading indicates more investment value in the 500 Index over a lower barometer reading.

One of the things I am looking at doing is bringing back the thread "The Markets & More." I've been working on incorporating both my global market compass and 500 sector compass into something close to what the barometer is for the S&P 500 Index. I been working with another investor on this project who is not connected with the board but works in the industry. We are wanting something simple that will indicate direction and strength and in doing this revolves around a numerical reading much like the barometer does.

Of the fifteen etf's currently followed by the global compass the three etf's with the strongest upward weekly movement were MDY +17, IJR +17 & JNK +16 based upon the scoring. The worst performing etf was VXX -9. The three best performing S&P 500 sector etf's with the strongest upward movement were XLI +21, XLB +20 & XLV +19. The worst performing was XLU -1. Don't get hung up on price movement as this yet to be named instrument keys on multiple feeds as does the market barometer.

The security tickers used in the global compass are UUP, AGG, JNK, IEF, SPY, MDY, IJR, SDY, VT, IEV, AXJL, EEM, CEF, CWB & VXX.

More will be posted on the compass later in the month as it is used to throttle certain positions. Hopefully, the Markets & More Thread will be reopened sometime around October or November if things move along as planned and will become a monthly thread.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Old_Skeet
  • Mitchelg said:

Recently bought PRMTX, PRGTX, PRIDX PRDSX. Most of these T. Rowe Price funds
    will be closed the end of September.

Fixed income - added to PFIIX and started a position in PIOIX. With PIOIX, wanted
    diversification from Pimco and Doubleline.

Hi. The only one I'd be remotely interested in establishing a foothold in would be PRMTX. Can anyone confirm that it will be closing? I can't find anything on Price's website to that effect.
  • Hi Hank,
    When I looked at Fidelity, it showed all funds were closed now. So I would make a move if it's something you want.....just saying.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited September 2017
    @Hank, here is an article on PRMTX suggesting the fund can be purchased direct from TRP which I believe you deal with. Other brokerages are questionable. I do see it is available NTF from Schwab FWIW. I see no specific wording anywhere that it plans a hard close.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4103183-good-way-invest-media-technology

from the article dated 8/30/17:
    Availability

PRMTX may not be available for purchase from all brokerage firms. On Fidelity, it says the fund is closed to new investors. But a new retail investor can definitely purchase the fund at T. Rowe Price directly. It is also currently available without a transaction fee from Wells Fargo and Merrill Edge.
  • DVSMX is the new fund profiled by David this month. While the minimum purchase is said to be $10,000, Schwab's system took my order (for Tuesday's close)for 5K. We'll see if the trade goes through.
  • edited September 2017
    Thanks @MikeM

Very recent article (August 30, '17) Yep - Am directly with TRP. They had my 403b first and I later rolled it into IRA with them. I need to keep an eye on that one. If they ever planned to close it, might throw the minimum ($1,000 for an IRA) at it just to have the option later on.
  • Bought Hertz bond mature 2022 -- yield ~8% price 92 rated b @ vanguard
  • @johnN: You got them at an excellent price.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @MFO Members: As soon as my September interest and dividends payments come in, I'm buying MSOPX.
    Regards,
    Ted

• Hi Ted!
    What made you go after this fund, if I may ask? It looks good......just wondering the reason you were drawn to it.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @Puddnhead: I wanted a little more international stock exposure.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • more DSENX, on a wee dip
  • edited September 2017
    Sold OPGSX. Moved 20% to Ltd-Term Bond and 80% to Global Infrastructure (OQGAX). The latter isn't really new. Oppenheimer acquired it recently. Not sure infrastructure belongs in a real asset sleeve. However, when Price shut-down their former infrastructure fund, they moved investors' money into their Real Assets fund. So guess it's a reasonable fit. Total real assets sleeve (3 funds) = 5-6% of total.

Gold's seen a sharp spike recently. Always a wild card. And an opportunity here to beef-up my cash-equivalency holdings a bit. Not optimistic near-term on OQGAX (or equities in general). Case of Devil if you do. Devil if you don't.
  • edited September 2017

more DSENX, on a wee dip

@davidmoran. You sound like somebody seated at a bar. Just remember, when you start scrambling those letters they'll cut you off. Watch it! :)
  • edited September 2017
    Several mates in Scotland are at the local bar. In the corner an old guy is passed out, face stuck to table. Presently he peels it off and stands and points his finger at one of the young men and says 'You, you, I know you, I shagged your mither.' The young man starts toward him with fist raised but his mates restrain him. A half-hour passes, and again the oldster rouses himself and stands and points and yells 'We were in a car by the church, and, why, she ...' and again the young man makes a forceful move toward him but is restrained. [Repeat x n.] Another hour passes and more of the same. Finally the oldster wakes and stands yet again, whereupon the young man shakes off his friends and moves to the middle of the bar to point at the codger and say 'Dad, goo hooome --- yer drunk.'
    Badump.
  • In the stock world, my play money, I trimmed a little from a Chinese holding, BABA, Alibaba, up 90+% this year (sometimes you get lucky) and also trimmed V, Visa, which continues to do well, but for the same reason - profit taking. Put in a limit order to buy HD, Home Depot, if it falls 12%. I am expecting a pull back, but you know how that goes.

But so no one gets the idea that may I know what I'm doing in the stock market, I'm still holding on to VRX and QCP, both with substantial losses since buying.
  • edited September 2017
    "But so no one gets the idea that may I know what I'm doing"

Not to worry! :)

Add: @MikeM... sorry, a quick glance misread the name above... thought it was Hank I was replying to.:)
  • Hell - Mike's playing in the big leagues. I'm just adjusting the settings on the sausage grinder.
  • Don't you touch those settings!!
  • edited September 2017
    Agree, Old Joe - Would probably lose another finger if I did.:)
  • edited September 2017
    Hello,

While I ponder if anything should be done within my portfolio with all that has happened over the past couple of weeks ... Old Skeet has decided to just sit. This week the barometer closed the week with a reading of 153 up one point from last week's close of 152 and remains in fair value territory. Remember a higher barometer reading generally indicates there is more investment value in the 500 Index over a lower barometer reading. Within the S&P 500 sectors XLE has the best improvement with its technical score reading without becoming overbought. Another noteworthy performer was XLRE with good improvement within it's technical score reading as well but is currently scored as overvalued. XLF had the worst decline in its technical score reading and is currently scored as undervalued. XLK will be the sector to watch this coming week as Apple is suppose to release/announce/update its new i8phone along with Oracle's earnings report.

Within Old_Skeet's global compass IEV had the best improved technical score reading while UUP the worst. If one wants to invest in a strengthing US Dollar UUP is an etf that can be used to do this. Conversely, if one wants to invest in a decling US Dollar since it has lost about ten percent of its value from the first part of the year (against a basket of other currencies) UDN is an etf that can be used to do this. Old_Skeet has, at times, used both of the etfs to play the currency movement of the US Dollar. I have used this strategy to improve my returns on cash and consider it an external investment outside my mutual fund portfolio that I have often commented on.

And, so-it-goes. Thanks for stopping by and reading.

I wish all "Good Investing."
  • Bought Gm bond yield 5%
  • Maurice, if you DRIP RDS.B shares, do they end up giving you the A shares?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Taking a bit off the table. Going to 20% cash (over and above what's in my balanced mutual funds, such as OAKBX).