Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• Proceeds from the sale of DSEEX in the IRA went into VRIG to get bonds back up to the 30% neighborhood.

I have enough in USFR to suit me. I'm not wild about THOPX, FATRX, or FCFAX. I'm not interested in anything junkier. I would rather be reducing the number of bond funds than increasing. But I'm not ready to commit to longer duration for a significant part of the bond allocation.
  • edited March 13
    @WABAC, I like VRIG chart better but if you are looking for better liquidity, check out JAAA.

What %age of your portfolio is equity? How has the percentage changed since end of Oct 2024?
  • 3 year T Note.
  • @BaluBalu, I am now at around 70% equity in the IRA after living at 75% for years. The main change has been switching cash to bonds. I haven't noticed any major change since last October. I suppose some part of it must have to do with increased returns on cash and floating rate funds since last summer,

I added JAAA to my bond watch list. But I doubt I'll get into anything to do with CLO's.
  • As my wife and I are retirees in our 70s, the market’s loftiness was beginning to cause a nose bleed. So I gave our VDADX and VTSAX investments a significant (for us) trim, and purchased some individual 10-year TIPS at the reopened auction.
  • Buying DWAC in large quantities.
    I want it all to myself, so please refrain from buying. Plus, what a great way to support a fella that has gone through 6 bankruptcies, though is touted as a great businessman.
  • JD_co said:

Buying DWAC in large quantities.
    I want it all to myself, so please refrain from buying. Plus, what a great way to support a fella that has gone through 6 bankruptcies, though is touted as a great businessman.

All yours compadre.:)
  • Ditto from me. You can have it and take that businessman with you,
  • Trumpster. Accchhh. Is it the week-end, yet? Bring on the basketball.
  • I am requesting a copy of the Stock certificates. After he takes away my Social Security, I would at least would have some toilet paper.
  • @Crash I'm with you, games reload Thursday I believe.
  • Doing a bit of clean up...swapped a pure utility fund for HTD, a John Hancock CEF with 60% stocks (mostly utilities) and 40% FI (bonds and preferreds), currently a 10.17% discount and 8.49% distribution. I'm anticipating that as the market broadens out and the Fed moves forward with rate cuts, both will serve as tailwinds.
  • I've been considering swapping UTG for HTD. I guess that I need to do some figuring.
  • edited March 28
    @Crash- I just noticed- Over 58 THOUSAND views... One THOUSAND comments... One YEAR near the top of the page...

Great job, Crash! You deserve some sort of MFO award. Ol' Ted would be green with envy.

Congrats-
    OJ
  • Mark said:

I've been considering swapping UTG for HTD. I guess that I need to do some figuring.

UTG...that's the fund I swapped.

• Old_Joe said:

@Crash- I just noticed- Over 58 THOUSAND views... One THOUSAND comments... One YEAR near the top of the page...

Great job, Crash! You deserve some sort of MFO award. Ol' Ted would be green with envy.

Congrats-
    OJ

Appreciate it, @Old_Joe. It seemed like the thing to do: to provide a thread to serve as a clearinghouse for all of our best ideas. Happy Easter to all.
  • SALES: Sold various equity funds/equity ETFs to lock in gains and take the market risk down a notch.

BUYs: Starter position in PVCMX. Adding to PSFF & FBALX.

Trending towards boring and safer.
  • Added another slug of ASGI. Still stalking a few more utes.
  • Bought 10 shares of NSRGY @ under $105 and 24 bottles of S. Pellegrino.

@Crash. I’d like to echo @Old_Joe’s congrats on maintaining this enjoyable thread.
  • I used yesterday's downdraft to add to SPLG, CALF, JEPQ, OMFL & CGDV. I probably should have followed @hank and invested in a bottle of something in case the much anticipated correction occurs in the next week or so.
  • edited April 3
    I looked up OMFL as I did not come across that ETF. Pretty interesting and another of good Invesco product. 6 year old and has $6.5B AUM. "The Fund and Index are reconstituted and rebalanced based on economic indicator signal changes, as frequently as monthly. The Index is constructed using a rules-based approach that re-weights large-cap securities of the Russell 1000 Index according to economic cycles and market conditions, reflected by expansion, slowdown, contraction or recovery. The securities are assigned a multi-factor score from one of five investment styles: value, momentum, quality, low volatility and size."

P.S.: I am surprised SPDR is able to direct flows into the higher ER SPY while they have >75% cheaper SPLG.
  • @BaluBalu: did you notice the apparent contradiction between the above description of the fund and the holdings as found in M*? OMFL holds almost no LC stocks, but is a MC/SC offering with an average market cap of $10B. Since midcaps constitute some 27% of the Russell 1000, whose median market cap is $13.9B, I'd expect Invesco to be more accurate in describing what stocks OMFL buys. I like that part of the market myself, but I prefer XMHQ to access it.
  • "I am surprised SPDR is able to direct flows into the higher ER SPY while they have >75% cheaper SPLG."

Just a guess but that may be due to the fact that many investors of all sizes find or perceive SPY to be more liquid or tradeable.
  • Added to current positions in OSTIX, RSIIX, and PRCFX in our IRA accounts.
  • edited April 3
    @BenWP, I did not get as far as looking at the portfolio. You are right, the index description does not match with the current holdings. Now that I look at the stock style, only in 1 out of the past 5 years it was in large caps. Since it claims to select factors based on the stage of the economic cycle and given the fund currently is in high value, low quality, small to mid caps, I am guessing the index provider must think we are at the beginning of an economic cycle. I was drawn to its dynamic (not on a preset time line) rebalancing (almost like an active fund). I do invest in the mid cap space but I prefer real active management for that space. The only exception I make is for XMHQ (rebalanced twice a year). I still think OMFL, as a dynamic multi factor fund, can be profitable if the index provider gets economic cycles and market conditions right. Evidently, we are off the norms because of Covid but the index provider is able to stay with or ahead of SPY.
  • New starter position in REMIX added today. Hope to stick with it long-term this time.
  • Added to my META position today. New report this week on its taking market share from GOOGL. Forward PE is reasonable based on its growth rate. Also trimmed my GOOGL position
  • Along with MRFOX, my new Schwab Employer sponsored brokerage account allowed for TRAIX (TRowe Price Capital Appreciation) purchase - I could not believe that the transaction went through. Also bought a spot of MAFAX.

Schwab has some good mutual fund offerings, along with low mins. Makes Fido look like a dog.
  • Continuing to transition from bond funds to individual treasuries at auction; purchased 3-yr (4.5%) and 10-yr treas (auction on 4/10) in our IRAs. Will consider buying 5-yr tips on 4/11.
  • JD_co said:

Along with MRFOX, my new Schwab Employer sponsored brokerage account allowed for TRAIX (TRowe Price Capital Appreciation) purchase - I could not believe that the transaction went through. Also bought a spot of MAFAX.

Schwab has some good mutual fund offerings, along with low mins. Makes Fido look like a dog.

Do you by any chance have an advisory account with Schwab?