Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buy Sell Why: ad infinitum.

Comments

• BaluBalu said:

Do you by any chance have an advisory account with Schwab?

No, but its part of a state retirement plan.
  • Added to SPLG & CALF pre-market and PAXS as the waves were receding.
  • edited April 10
    I thought I had posted this. Now I can't see it? Bought a few shares of FALN to take my average cost down a bit. The previous limit-order did not go through, the other day. A good day for a small buy, with everything down that I own, except TS. Gotta pay 15% foreign tax on the divvies from that puppy, but in 2024, it's been putt-putting right along.

EDIT TO ADD: ET was up at the end of the day, after all, too. Both are oil/gas stocks.
  • Small T-bill purchase , 4 month.
  • Added a bit to our fixed income ladder, at 1 yr / 5.05%
  • Good on ya, @Old_Joe.
  • Started small DHAMX position - 10 years up, 2 down (but both small losses). Solid returns.

The Fund may employ hedges and other capital protective strategies when deemed appropriate and may try to enhance returns by writing (selling) out of the money call options on stocks held.
  • edited April 11
    Bought 2 additional shares of NSRGY at under $103. Put in order to sell a bit of PRPFX as gold rush continues unabated. Added to a minuscule basket of (ProShares) short / inverse ETFs (around 1% of portfolio). Trying to bolster cash position that’s well under 10%.

• edited April 12
    Rate cut is now postponed from June till September with two instead of three rate cuts.

We are adding to short term hi yield bonds as T bills/CDs are maturing. It is too early to invest in long duration bonds and the 10 year yield continues to be volatile. Lots of uncertainties on fixed income side.

One bright spot is agricultural commodities that have gone up nicely this year.

Edits (4/11/24): in light of being “higher and longer” on interest rate, we are returning tot T bills 3-6 months) again in taxable accounts.
  • Purchased 5-yr TIPS for both our IRAs.
  • Put a good chunk of cash into a 1-year JPMorgan Chase CD at 5.5%. The cash was making 5.17% in the Schwab MM so a small upgrade. Yes, it's callable, but good for at least 6 months.

Put a little play money into COM (DIREXION AUSPICE BRD CMDT STRG ETF). I've held it in the past and it's a fairly conservative play on commodities. May be a little late but hopefully it could last a while longer.
  • edited April 15
    @MikeM- from personal experience if JPMorgan Chase can call a CD they will. I had an 18 month @5.7 and they just called it with 9 months left to go. I think that was the only callable CD that I have.
  • Dan, they tell you on the fact sheet when the first call date is. Most of the time, from my experience, it is 6 months from purchase and 1-month intervals after that. Go to the fact sheet and go all the way to the bottom to see.
  • Yes, that's true- I'm just saying that if JPM can save 10¢ they will, so expect it.
  • Old_Joe said:

Yes, that's true- I'm just saying that if JPM can save 10¢ they will, so expect it.

OJ, come on, Jamie D has explained how tfg did so much ‘sort of right’
  • Bought another small handful of FALN shares. It's fallen conveniently, sufficiently, for me to take another swipe. Still working my way to 40% in bonds. Almost there.
  • edited April 16
    Took another couple bites of NSRGY @ under $101
  • Bought positions in both FCNTX and ARCIX. ARCIX to hedge inflation risk and it has strong risk adjusted returns. FCNTX because I think growth funds still have room to run and Will Danoff is a great stock picker
  • edited April 17
    Added to current position in VTI and considering adding to earlier buy of 5-yr TIPS.

Update: Went ahead and placed an order for additional 5-yr TIPS in both IRAs.
  • Sold out of my DUK-A preferreds to raise cash for other potential purchases in the coming days. (Made a bit of CG on the sale in addition to some 6% yields back when I bought them but it's callable in June anyway.)
  • edited April 19
    Sold all of recently accumulated spec position in NSRGY at above $104. Goes ex-dividend Monday ($3.41 p/s). Will probably buy it back Monday after price falls. Might solve 2 issues (1) a 45-day wait for dividend to be paid out and (2) a 10% foreign tax on dividends.
  • bot large (same-size) chunks of QLTY and JQUA
  • edited April 19
    Rough week to see the market lost over 5% in the last month. Tech stocks fell but financial and energy rose today. For now, we will hold off on stocks and focus on short term junk bonds. All my high quality bonds have been disappointing this year. Have decent cash % to sit tight for awhile.
  • Bought bigly 12 month tbills, looking to purchase bigly 2 year notes, nibbling at PHYS. Sprott gold. Sitting tight in MRFOX. Trimmed BLNDX..don't trust it fully, concerns about trend reversals that the black box won't pick up in time.

Y'all think this is tax season selling, geopolitics, out of control inflation and fiscal spending or something else like folks losing jobs bigly and thus mindless 401k index investing going down or something else??
  • It's a bad case of higher for longer. Feels like Mr. Market has had a little tantrum every month the Fed puts off a rate cut. Except this time, the AI euphoria seems to be wearing off. And longer is looking longer all the time.

• edited April 20
    A real E-ticket ride! PRWCX down in my portfolio on Friday, today. All others up. But the full week was a sac of pus. YTD +0.6395%. "Higher for longer" is causing Mr. Market to overreact. But we already knew that Mr. Market ALWAYS over-reacts, both to the upside and downside. Mr. Market is not rational.
    Best in '24 ytd: ET.
    Worst: BHB, though up on Friday alone by +6.79%, probably on the good earnings report. And BHB announced a raise in its dividend, with a 5% of shares buy-back program.

Funds best ytd: PRFDX
    worst: PRCPX (junk, barely below the zero-line.)
  • Took advantage of the recent market swoon to do another Roth conversion, my third of the year. Simply moved shares of PRBLX from my Rollover to Roth IRA, but I plan to sell and reinvest in TCAF and PRCFX.
  • Adding to bond funds, CSOIX and RSIIX. Also staying on the conservative side adding to balanced and alternative funds BLNDX, CGBL and LCR.

Also picked up a conservative commodities fund, COM, but that's more of a play than an investment.
  • edited April 20
    Crash said:

PRWCX down in my portfolio on Friday, today. All others up. ….. Funds best ytd: PRFDX worst: PRCPX (junk, barely below the zero-line.)

PRWCX only fell .26% Friday. But TCAF fell .76%. Still, it represents just 1 day. Nothing more.

+1 @Tarwheel on the Roth conversions.

Conflicted as usual. The roughly 1.5% in short positions had a good week and decent month (SDS, PSQ, SJB). Added them 6 weeks ago when equity markets were flaming hot. I like to think holding them tempers daily volatility and allows me to stay pretty much fully / broadly invested. But longer term, going short is “a fool’s errand”. Might be time to head for the exit.
  • Happy to find BIVRX open/available though state retirement plan option, started a position.

Adding to that and PVCMX next week while the market figures out how much to correct.