The Launches Dashboard compiles and tracks funds first appearing in our “Launch Alert” feature of the monthly MFO commentary. It follows a format similar to the Profiles Dashboard but lists funds by alert date, most recent on top to oldest on the bottom, since MFO launched in May 2011.
Hundreds of new funds are launched annually (e.g., 590 in 2020), but most are not worth mentioning. David highlights just a dozen or so each year.
When a manager with a strong record leaves an established firm to start anew, David lets us know:
- Andrew Foster created Seafarer Capital Partners, LLC and launched Seafarer Overseas Growth and Income (SIGIX), as discussed in the February 2012 commentary.
As he does when an established firm of high stewardship launches a fund in a new market:
- Vanguard Emerging Markets Government Bond Index (VWOB) in the March 2013 commentary.
Usually, the Launch Alerts contain a paragraph or two describing why the fund may be worthy. Some are longer than others, a kind of mini-profile:
Since 2016, MFO breaks-out Launch Alerts in the new magazine format. Before that, they were included in the long-scroll format.
While about 1-in-6, as of January 2021, end-up in the dust bin (not shown, e.g., Whitebox Funds), many of the funds in Launch Alert have gone-on to do quite well, some spectacularly. In fact, 18 are currently Great Owl funds, which means they have bested their peers in risk-adjusted return for at least the past 3 years. Here they are … youngest alert on top … all featured more than three years ago:
- Seven Canyons World Innovators Inv (WAGTX)
- Touchstone Large Cap Focused A (SENCX)
- Touchstone Balanced A (SEBLX)
- American Beacon Shapiro Equity Opportunities Y (SHXYX)
- Artisan Global Discovery Inv (APFDX)
- Driehaus Small Cap Growth Inst (DNSMX)
- Artisan Focus Inv (ARTTX)
- Osterweis Emerging Opportunity (OSTGX)
- Seafarer Overseas Value Inst (SIVLX)
- Grandeur Peak Global Stalwarts Inst (GGSYX)
- Artisan Developing World Adv (APDYX)
- T Rowe Price Global High Income Bond (RPIHX)
- Touchstone Sands Capital Emerging Markets Growth Inst (TSEGX)
- DoubleLine Shiller Enhanced CAPE I (DSEEX)
- Grandeur Peak Global Reach Inst (GPRIX)
- T Rowe Price Emerging Markets Corporate Bond Inv (TRECX)
- RiverPark Short Term High Yield Inst (RPHIX)
- Wasatch Frontier Emerging Small Countries Inv (WAFMX)
And here’s how they appear in the new tool, showing risk and performance since launch:
As an adviser or individual investor, I would check this list often.